By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo: Black Friday - Wii 500k, Zelda 535k FW

Rath said:
JTurner82 said:
mike_intellivision said:
I wonder what some people want.

Zelda sets record for quickest to half a million -- yet people here are saying it sold poorly.

I guess that's the Internet for you.

Mike from Morgantown

People will say outrageous things like that just because they can.  I seriously don't see anything bad about this news.  Skyward Sword is anything but a bomb; if anything, it's on its way to being a bonafide hit.  I think people were expecting WAY too much; this is nonetheless a very solid opening number.  Its Japanese launch numbers are smaller, but nowhere near bomb territory; at least over there it still sold 165k.  Considering that many other Wii games have fared far worse, I'd say Skyward Sword got lucky.  Anyone declaring it a bomb and a poor sales performance must be absolutely insane.

People were basing their expectations on this

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88517/usa-preorders-chart-19-november-2011-skyward-sword-wwe-12/

As such compared to expectations it has done rather poorly, what was expected was more around the million mark.

More like SOME expectations.  I doubt Nintendo is disappointed or thinks the game has done badly, because as far as I'm concerned, the opposite is true.  And besides, Zelda games have legs anyway.

Around the Network

Yeah, if Reggie talked about actual sales and NOT about shipments (and I think he really talked about actual sales, since the 3DS "POISED TO SURPASS 3DS' FIRST YEAR" has also been their PR spin in last month's press release), 3DS should have done more than 680, so 700k.
Considering also how much sold 3D Land (so, considering the bundles), it's possible.

Anyone knows from WHERE the VGC weekly pre-order chart came from ?
Thank you..