By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Appreciate help in deciding what to possibly study at university.

I was a Psychology major at undergrad, and while I really enjoyed it, a Bachelor degree in Psychology is not going to give you strong job prospects by itself. If you decide you want to major in Psychology as an undergrad, you need to pretty much go ahead and commit to going to graduate school in something. If you are willing to go to school beyond a Bachelors, a Psychology undergrad can be a good choice, because you can go on to a variety of different graduate degree programs from there. I know people who went on to get MBAs, went to medical school, law school, social work, counseling, or went further with Psychology to become researchers or clinical psychologists, etc.

As far as what being a clinical psychologist is like (I'm not a clinical psychologist, but did take several clinical psychology classes) - professors always warned us that most Clinical Psychologists do not do full time therapy. Therapy is mixed in with research and consulting. If you are only interested in being a therapist, there are faster and cheaper alternatives to get those credentials. There is a lot of research involved in being a Clinical Psychologist (as there is for any PhD program), so you will need to take quite a bit of statistics and research methods/design.

But I don't know of a single person from undergrad who only had a Psychology degree and now has a full-time job (2-3 years removed from graduating).

Around the Network

My best friend has a masters degree in history and he can't find a relevant job. He works occasional shifts at a nearby castle, but spends the rest of his time hunting down jobs. There's just not a lot of employment opportunities in that area right now. It's difficult to get into.

I would go into computer science, engineering or physics. Those three subjects will almost guarentee employment when you leave. Especially in Britain, where we're looking to establish our high-tech industry.

Of the two choices I'd go History.

This should hold some wait considering I currently hold a bachelors degree in Psychology.

Honestly, you aren't likely to find a job in either field that is relevant to your own unless your a top dog...

the Main difference is, that while the history we learned is often flawed... the Truth is out there.

While for Psychology, your basically forced into a camp despite the fact that therapeutic research shows that no form is better then any other, and therefore all the history and theory you'll learn is complete garbage.

Well outside of Industrial Psychology or Consumer psychology that's based much more on results then comprehensive theory.

Psychology is more phiosophy then science.

haxxiy said:

For real man? I'd do neither, honestly, even though I actually enjoy to an extent both subjects.

Why? Both are plagued bywhat I like to call exclusivist reductionism, college brainwashing, and so on. And it's like Mein Kampf dude. Better keep away or it can convince you. 

Do something cool like law. I have a cousin who's going to start international law at Georgetown man, and that's fucking cool. Meanwhile my friends who do psychology at uni actually lower their voices and whisper when someone asks what they do for a living...

haha well actually my girlfriend is probably studying law, but it's not really for me. Plus it's probably too late and I don't have enough points anyway.

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

JOKA_ said:
leatherhat said:
Honestly? Get a computer science degree. If I could do it over thats what I would have got. Very easy to find a high paying job right out of the gates.

haha actually the same for me.  I went and got a degree in game development (art side).  While not completely useless I should have gotten a Computer Science minor to go along with it.  I'm currently trying to teach myself and make a game.

@OP:  Why girlfriend's brother got a Masters in History and his wife is going for her PhD right now in Phsycology.  He has a job working at a bunch of different schools teaching English (I think) and she is still in school.  Thats all the first hand knowledge I have ha.  I feel like if you major in one of those you have to atleast get a Masters for it to be useful.

hmmmm thanks, teaching could be a possibility if i get history degree

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
for the chance of a good job right out the gate

either

Electrical/Computer Engineering
Computer Science
Accounting/Finance

would be my advice. The two subjects you mentioned, at least to my knowledge, doesn't have many job opportunities. But I think you should take your freshman year and maybe even a portion of your sophomore year to take time and decide on what you want to get in to. No hurry ;)

I was actually thinking about taking a year out, to earn money and decide what to do,thanks

Allfreedom99 said:

First off, find your passion and what type of work fulfills you. Whatever you decide it needs to be something you have a love for or else you will only end up half assing it your whole life, because you don't have the drive and passion for it.

Some of the sought after jobs right now revolve in the realms of Medical (nursing, Doctor, Pharmacist, Chiropractor, Medical Assisting, ect.), Technology (Information Technology, Computer Science, Network Management, Programming), Business Finance/Accounting. Those are some of the major ones that can get you work very fast. To find if you have an interest or passion in one of those fields talk to certain people that are involved in those area of work. ask them questions about the day to day things they have to face. The rewards, and the challenges.

Talk to people in all fields of occupation; Teachers, Brick Layers, Carpenters, Mechanics, Sales Clerks, Chefs, Store owners, Lawyers, ect. The best way to find out where your desires will reside is by talking to people from all walks of life and learning from what they say. And the people you know in those professions don't be afraid to ask them. Most people would be happy to tell you what they deal with in their profession. Don't settle for a degree that people tell you to do. Go for what most motivates you.

Last part I will give you an example. My brother after he got out of the Marine Corps decided to study Information Technology. He enjoyed it mostly and ended up being a Technology Coordinator at a public school. He gets great hours and its good pay. He felt however the whole time like he was missing something. He always got a fulfillment out of protecting people. He went into Police training and is now doing Police work part time and absolutely loves it. He says one day he may fully switch over to Police work while doing Computer work on the side. Its all about what motivates you and drives your passions.

Start with getting information from others in the field.

I hope that all helps.

That's some really good advice there, I should talk to people actually working in different jobs and ask them about their experiences. Plus my dad is teacher so it's easy to get info from him. Thanks!