By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii is probably an epidemic!

seems like it's not getting easier, but harder to find a wii.   i follow xp_bargains (where i located my wii) so that i can pick up a wii for a friend and i thought it'll get easier after february (when i got mine).  but no, seems like the listings are selling out faster than ever.

this can be easily explained... the interest in wii is a function of many, one of which is the "trying is believing".  if the conversion rate of "trying is believing" is big enough, the amount of interest generated will exceed the amount of interest reduced (those who already bought one).  supply is not increasing by much, and so the end result is that the market is MORE supply contrained.

this is indeed an interesting phenomenon.  i'm not an expert on this, but it does remind me of spread of disease modeling (and other analogous systems).  to put it simply, if the disease infection rate surpasses a critical value, the disease becomes an epidemic.  in social systems it's more complicated, but the basic idea is the same.

So, i would hypothesize that the Wii is an epidemic!  The same applies to the DS.  Actually the DS is more likely to be an epidemic... after it made a mutation to DS Lite and evolving Brain Age and Nintendog genes along the way.

(ps3 and 360 fanboys are immune to this epidemic, so if nintendo has an evil plan to take over the world, they can fight back) 

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network
Lingyis said:

seems like it's not getting easier, but harder to find a wii. i follow xp_bargains (where i located my wii) so that i can pick up a wii for a friend and i thought it'll get easier after february (when i got mine). but no, seems like the listings are selling out faster than ever.

this can be easily explained... the interest in wii is a function of many, one of which is the "trying is believing". if the conversion rate of "trying is believing" is big enough, the amount of interest generated will exceed the amount of interest reduced (those who already bought one). supply is not increasing by much, and so the end result is that the market is MORE supply contrained.

this is indeed an interesting phenomenon. i'm not an expert on this, but it does remind me of spread of disease modeling (and other analogous systems). to put it simply, if the disease infection rate surpasses a critical value, the disease becomes an epidemic. in social systems it's more complicated, but the basic idea is the same.

So, i would hypothesize that the Wii is an epidemic! The same applies to the DS. Actually the DS is more likely to be an epidemic... after it made a mutation to DS Lite and evolving Brain Age and Nintendog genes along the way.

(ps3 and 360 fanboys are immune to this epidemic, so if nintendo has an evil plan to take over the world, they can fight back)

K

I need to be quarantined! Been acutely infected months ago! My skin is turning a weird combination of pearl white, shining blue and basic gray & I find myself saying "Wiiiiii would 'rike to pu'ray" bowing at people's front doors.

And uh...I didn't wanna mention this but uh....in my head I hear weird shamisens going off every now and then. Hopefully that's just my imagination.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

johnlucas said:

I need to be quarantined! Been acutely infected months ago! My skin is turning a weird combination of pearl white, shining blue and basic gray & I find myself saying "Wiiiiii would 'rike to pu'ray" bowing at people's front doors.

And uh...I didn't wanna mention this but uh....in my head I hear weird shamisens going off every now and then. Hopefully that's just my imagination.

John Lucas

I actually found myself at my local highschool for sports event(I was bored!) and at the end a bunch of people were sort of just standing around in the gym.. and in my head I heard the mii lobby music...

Oh god, the Wii elevator music.

I love them all. All of them must follow the golden ratio. It's the only explanation why I never tire of them. My favourite is the results portion usic on Everybody Votes Channel.

Around the Network

My thought process is starting to be altered by Tetris, rather than thinking in words i think about things in tetris blocks... it's quite crazy, like when i'm not thinking I can just see the blocks falling in my head!

Wii Shop channel is one of the most catchy tunes in the history of videogames.