By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has "The Grinder" Been Left 4 Dead?

Tagged games:

What happened to "The Grinder"?

Never heard of it. 4 5.80%

Lol, have you seen Conduit 2 sales? :D 30 43.48%

They're bringing it to the Wii U 13 18.84%

I REALLY don't care... 10 14.49%

See Results 11 15.94%

Total:68
NightDragon83 said:
Mr Khan said:
Joelcool7 said:
DarkCronos said:
there's a facebook fan-group about HVS which has some HVS staff in. according to some peole in the group the project was canceled near conduit 2 final stages, due to resource cuts.

That would make sense, also they may have simply put the title on hold till Conduit 2 launched. But as we all know Conduit 2 did so horrible that their is no way Sega would publish Grinder. In fact the hit HVS took from Conduit 2's overwhelming failure probably put the final nail in their hardcore coffin. The studio wanted to create some high quality titles based on their own IP rather then pushing out licensed shovel ware, but I think they have realized that they are incapable of producing the high end software needed to survive in the industry.

To be honest while Conduit wasn't anything ground breaking it sure as hell wasn't terrible. I never purchased Conduit 2 simply because I played the demo at PAX and it was horribly glitchy and such. I didn't want to take the risk by buying Conduit 2.

Seriously I think HVS should have been acquired by someone. They have some great ideas they just need some guidance and they need the financial and backing of a major publisher to create some great games. Its sad to see they may never break free of their shovel ware licensed software dependency. I would really like to see them become a real quality developer and I think Grinder could have helped them do that.

Its a shame that Conduit and Grinder both failed. If High Voltage had the finances I would say they should self publish and continue creating new IP with the aim of breaking free of licensed shovel ware. But in reality the failure of Conduit 2 is the final nail in their coffin!

No. Conduit 2's failure was intended from Sega from the start. The game was sent out to die, though i'll grant it was only so-so, it was pushed out with far less fanfare than Conduit 1, which was the inferior game by a good stretch. The fate of both games was sealed after Sega decided that The Conduit underperformed

I agree with that statement, because if they really wanted this game to do as well as it possibly could, there's no way in hell they would have released it with such terrible, generic-looking box art...

Seriously... doesn't everything about that cover art just scream "generic sci-fi shovelware Halo-ripoff shooter" to you?

And while we're on the subject of the Conduit, wasn't HVS supposed to be working on a Conduit game for the 3DS, or did that get canned too?

They were rumored to be making one, but I doubt we will see it any time soon. If Conduit 2 was sent out to die, I doubt they will be on board with a third game. If a Conduit game does appear on the 3DS it will have a different publisher, and will likely be sent out to die again. 

Around the Network
oniyide said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"By this logic, why would anyone make an FPS for Wii? Who would risk the chance to put out a game where the market for it is poor"

You're still pretending the market was poor before the games even had a chance to be made, which is putting the cart before the horse. The games have to be made, to the see IF there is a market. And yes, it's a risk, but they clearly don't care about the risks when it's a system they want to make games for. So risk is a bullshit excuse, as it's selective.

so u admit its a risk, but that is not an excuse?? what selective?? tell me a game on any other platform that was made that u would consider a risk?

I mean "risk" as "no 100% guarantee". They act as though "risk" means "huge change of failure", when the high cost of the games on the other systems is actually more of a risk.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs