By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Syria, the outcome!

So today I was watching yet another debate on Syria. One that I found interesting it was a group of analysts on BBC and I saw a similar debate on CBC with some military personnel and such.

Basically they said that Syria is likely to fall apart and enter a civil war that could last as long as twenty years without foreign intervention. They estimated hundreds of thousands may die and that Assad can't possibly remain in power and the war would end with him out of the picture.

When that was said the question came about that foreign intervention would likely save lives. But the analysts came to the conclusion that an entry into Syria would be another Iraq at least or Afghanistan at worst. They said put Nato troops on the ground you'll likely save a lot of lives, but you'll be in the mess for at least 5-10 years.

Its not a simple task armed intervention in Syria is necessary to save lives, but if Nato were to enter Syria it would not be able to leave for a very long time.

On the CBC a military person stated that in Libya we were able to provide air support to a rebel army capable of defeating Gaddafe. The rebels had territory they had troops and they had the capability to end the war. Nato was also easily able to secure the air space and they knew they wouldn't likely need ground troops.

The difference here is that the rebels in Syria don't control any territory in which Nato could defend with air strikes. If an air war were started Nato would be firing blind hitting every piece of armor in Syria, raining hell on Government targets but unable to to help the rebels. Boots on the ground would be almost a necessity but 40% or so of the population according to the debate are in support of the regime. Ground troops would face fierce resistance and would be fighting for years to establish a new Government.

In the end the question is, do we allow Syria to drop into a 20 year civil war killing hundreds of thousands to millions of people. Or does somebody intervene and save hundreds of thousands of lives but get stuck in the country for up to ten years? Obviously the sanctions aren't going to stop the violence and China, Russia won't likely allow any further sanctions. So should someone intervene or just let Syria implode and watch as hundreds of thousands die?

(p.s- think outside the box, Nato isn't the only force capable of intervening. Should someone intervene to who's advantage would it be to intervene or is it not worth it to intervene at all , anyone let alone Nato.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I agree. It's difficult to intervene militarily in Syria. But the world's condemnations have been absolutely pathetic so far. Over 6 months and there's not even true sanctions in place.

Slimebeast said:

I agree. It's difficult to intervene militarily in Syria. But the world's condemnations have been absolutely pathetic so far. Over 6 months and there's not even true sanctions in place.

Just give the UN a few more years so that thousands more can be killed before they enact their dreaded resolutions.

The Syrian problem needs to be dealt with by the Arab league and their neighbors such as Turkey, Lebanon and Israel. Not NATO. Not the UN.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Slimebeast said:

Blame China and Russia. Their Veto's prevent sanctions.

I think Syria will follow Libya and will overthrow the regime of Assad. He will likely be lynched just like Gaddafi.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

No easy way out, and Egyptians got trolled.. hard. Depressing bs.

mrstickball said:
The Syrian problem needs to be dealt with by the Arab league and their neighbors such as Turkey, Lebanon and Israel. Not NATO. Not the UN.

Yep, and it's not like it'll probably do any good either.

Look at Egypt...

The largest problem with revolutions, is that you need your leader and those around him to be able to look at the chance of getting ultimate power and saying no.

Syria is not Libya (nor Iraq or Afganistan). Their direct links to the Israeli - Arab situation makes this a far more sensitive issue.

Arab leaders may be against what is going on there but to loose Syria to a NATO force would give Israel a stronger hand in the region and no Arab leader wants that regardless what they may later say in public.

As it stands now the arab leaders are against any western military interference unlike Libya.

It is far better if the Turks and the other arabs handle this themselves but they probably won't and as far as the west are concern Iran seems to be the bigger threat looking forward.

sad.man.loves.vgc said:
No easy way out, and Egyptians got trolled.. hard. Depressing bs.

Could u elaborate on that?

I'm pretty sure Columbia will sort all this out.