By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

I can see now how fast ports have problems in Wii U... BOPS2, AC3, ME3, Batman, etc... these game have to be remade to use more the eDRAM and less the main memory... so the lack of details, bad shadows and framerate issues can be attributed to the wrong use of the poor RAM bandwidth (lazy developers).

Around the Network

Hm, crazy speculation, since most rumours are mentioning DirectX 10.1 equivalent GPU, and considering actual size of bigger chip inside WiiU, could it be RV730 shrank to 40nm + eDRAM?

Is there any solid info on wii u gpu/cpu specs yet?

runqvist said:

Seems nothing yet - I was hoping that iFixit will go extra mile, but alas...still, excellent teardown:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Wii+U+Teardown/11796/1

HoloDust said:
runqvist said:

Seems nothing yet - I was hoping that iFixit will go extra mile, but alas...still, excellent teardown:

I don't understand why Nintendo does not just reveal the specs. They will be found out eventually.

Around the Network
runqvist said:
HoloDust said:
runqvist said:

I don't understand why Nintendo does not just reveal the specs. They will be found out eventually.

Guess they want to keep us entertained guessing the specs. ;)

Speaking of which, latest guess what might be GPU is something from the Redwood family (something like HD 5570 or Mobility HD 5750) - they are 104mm^2 in size, guesstimate is that with eDRAM they can be packed into 156mm^2 that have been measured.

wow, been so busy playing with my WiiU I completely missed all this RAM talk.

So, if I'm reading all this right....

WiiU has relatively slow RAM, but the much higher amount of eDRAM could easily make up for that, so long as the devs take it into account. right?

Additionally, I love my WiiU. Its bad ass in every way so far. Browser is near PC like and the only ported game I've played so far, COD, runs flawlessly with every controller option.

The only thing I understood from the last few pages was that the browser kicks ass .

S.Peelman said:
The only thing I understood from the last few pages was that the browser kicks ass .

Webkit (Safari) and Presto (Opera) are the fastest web browsers engine in the market... the Wii U browser is Webkit based... so it is really fast.

And Wii U uses a old Webkit version... the latest one is even faster (the same used in iPad, iPhone, etc).

superchunk said:
wow, been so busy playing with my WiiU I completely missed all this RAM talk.

So, if I'm reading all this right....

WiiU has relatively slow RAM, but the much higher amount of eDRAM could easily make up for that, so long as the devs take it into account. right?

Additionally, I love my WiiU. Its bad ass in every way so far. Browser is near PC like and the only ported game I've played so far, COD, runs flawlessly with every controller option.

That's what it looks like - not sure how much eDRAM will help, obviously Nintendo's 1st parties will know how fully to use it, but it might pose some problems for 3rd parties (at least until they get the hang of it - I think those low-res shadows in BLOPS2 might have to do something with that).