By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

bonzobanana said:
Looking through I see that some specs in the second post haven't been updated. The wii u has at least 35mb of built in memory for the gpu. As in addition to the 32MB it has to have the 2MB frame buffer and 1MB texture cache for wii compatibility mode.

If you are stating 176-352 gflops you should also state 160-320 stream processors.

Is the wii u gpu 550mhz or 600mhz? I thought ps3 was 550mhz and wii u gpu 600mhz. Not checked though.

I have found no reliable evidence of it being 600mhz although there are some claims a software update has pushed it up to 600mhz. Every "reliable" source points to 550mhz.

Another interested value to add would be the cache size of the CPU. For some reason this seems to pop up when techies go head to head. Wii U has (allegedly) 3MB in total, 1MB per core. Xbone and PS4 have 4MB each total, 512KB per core. Or less than 683KB per core if only using 6 cores.

Around the Network

I don't think the wattage of the system is the best indicator of whether it's 160 or 320 shaders, because Latte likely runs 15-20 watts, and it's not breaking the laws of physics doing that. Look at the Mobility Radeon HD 5650, the entire GRAPHICS CARD runs between 15 - 19 watts, the GPU itself is drawing less than that, and this card has both a higher clock (650mhz), and 400 stream processors.

Updated a few tweaks in PS4/Xbone surrounding GPUs.

spurgeonryan said:
IBM Power6
4 cores, 32nm
3.5GHz

IBM Power7
6 cores
3.72GHz

It seems like the nextbox will be a little more powerful than the WiiU. What does the 32nm stand for?

Seeing the first post of this topic is hilarious and depressing at same time.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Memory bandwidth of Wii U is 12Gb/s per  ram, it has 4 x 512mb ram quad channel. 48G/s in total.

Around the Network
justinian said:
bonzobanana said:
Looking through I see that some specs in the second post haven't been updated. The wii u has at least 35mb of built in memory for the gpu. As in addition to the 32MB it has to have the 2MB frame buffer and 1MB texture cache for wii compatibility mode.

If you are stating 176-352 gflops you should also state 160-320 stream processors.

Is the wii u gpu 550mhz or 600mhz? I thought ps3 was 550mhz and wii u gpu 600mhz. Not checked though.

I have found no reliable evidence of it being 600mhz although there are some claims a software update has pushed it up to 600mhz. Every "reliable" source points to 550mhz.

Another interested value to add would be the cache size of the CPU. For some reason this seems to pop up when techies go head to head. Wii U has (allegedly) 3MB in total, 1MB per core. Xbone and PS4 have 4MB each total, 512KB per core. Or less than 683KB per core if only using 6 cores.

Just to clarify, the Wii U's 3 core CPU has asymmetric cache.  One core has 2MB cache, the other two cores have 512KB each.  As for the XBox1/PS4, the cache per core doesn't change based on how many are used, so it's assumed that they are in symmetric distribution of cache, giving 512KB per core, regardless of games only having access to 6 cores.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

Oh yea, and at the OP, the official statement is that the PS4 uses 3.5GB for its OS. They claim there is 512MB of flexible RAM, but until I see it used or stated as being useful, I am going to stick with 3.5GB being consumed by the OS, lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
waltergs said:

Memory bandwidth of Wii U is 12Gb/s per  ram, it has 4 x 512mb ram quad channel. 48G/s in total.

:/ since when does someone add the bandwidth up like that?

waltergs said:

Completely wrong.

Anyways to my surprise the recent DF article said BW (with the EDRAM) wasn't a problem for Wii U. It's everything else.

ZyroXZ2 said:
Oh yea, and at the OP, the official statement is that the PS4 uses 3.5GB for its OS. They claim there is 512MB of flexible RAM, but until I see it used or stated as being useful, I am going to stick with 3.5GB being consumed by the OS, lol

Sony has never made an official statement about ram reservations beyond explaining what flex ram is.