By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

I see again some people are comparing FLOPS and thinking they can pull comparisons on that alone.

Once again (using aggregate benchmark scores on most similar GPUs compared to what's inside consoles, and maybe being somewhat generous to one of them):

PS4 = 1.5x XOne = 5x WiiU= 1.6x X360 (old rumored clocks for XOne)
PS4 = 2x XOne = 3.75x WiiU= 1.6x X360 (new rumored clocks for XOne)

Around the Network

If you compare only GPU power the difference between PS4 and Xbone is...

* PS4 have a little better GPU than HD 7850 but for comparison I will use it *

ethomaz said:

If you compare only GPU power the difference between PS4 and Xbone is...

* PS4 have a little better GPU than HD 7850 but for comparison I will use it *

wow thats a huge difference now compare that to the wiiu gpu, which most likly a 160 shader gpu but way more effeciante then then the 360 gpu.

^^^ Think I did that several times, but here it is again (all based on aggregate benchmark scores, measured in VPs)
http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21797&sid=2d85d883a15a0f8c3a9aef69db85fb0e

PS4 (7850 as starting point): 141VP
XOne (7770 as starting point): 96VP
WiiU (5550 as starting point, 320 shaders with 12.8GB/s mem system): 16.5VP
WiiU (6450 as starting point. 160 shaders, but some 35% higher clock than WiiU): 16.8VP
X360 (based on lot of educated guesses and MS statements about XOne to 360 ratio) = 12VP

If WiiU has 320 shaders, it's most likely anywhere between 16.5VP (5550 with 12.8GB/s) and 21.8VP (5550 with 25.6GB/s), if they can make up for low bandwidth with EDRAM. I usually take average (19.2VP) for comparisons sake, so I'm being bit generous when making comparisons like the one in my previous post (PS4=1.5xXOne=5xWiiU=1.6xX360).

Of course, if I do that, then I should take into account customizations of PS4's and XOne's GPUs, so in all honestly, difference is most likely even bigger (both between PS4 and XOne, and them and WiiU).

HoloDust said:

^^^ Think I did that several times, but here it is again (all based on aggregate benchmark scores, measured in VPs)
http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21797&sid=2d85d883a15a0f8c3a9aef69db85fb0e

WiiU (6450 as starting point. 160 shaders, but some 35% higher clock than WiiU): 16.8VP
X360 (based on lot of educated guesses and MS statements about XOne to 360 ratio) = 12VP

If WiiU has 320 shaders, it's most likely anywhere between 16.5VP (5550 with 12.8GB/s) and 21.8VP (5550 with 25.6GB/s), if they can make up for low bandwidth with EDRAM. I usually take average (19.2VP) for comparisons sake, so I'm being bit generous when making comparisons like the one in my previous post (PS4=1.5xXOne=5xWiiU=1.6xX360).

Of course, if I do that, then I should take into account customizations of PS4's and XOne's GPUs, so in all honestly, difference is most likely even bigger (both between PS4 and XOne, and them and WiiU).

i'm talking about the frames per second comparison, it looks like xbox one games will have to run at 720p just keep up in framerate with ps4.

edit: i forgot about the ram advantage which is huge, xbone will struggle to keep up with ps4 graphically.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

PC - ultra high (highest possible settings)
PS4 - High
XBOne - Med-High
WiiU - Low.

There is this little question that has always been bugging me: What PC are we talking about ? Do we have some standards or limitations or budget restrains when we are comparing the PC to consoles ?

To me it seems like we are usually comparing a set build of hardware -the console- with the best thing technology has to offer. A constant VS a variable. And that's a bit pointless isn't it because technology never stops to advance so there will always be a hypothetical PC build that's better than any given console.

ninjablade said:

i'm talking about the frames per second comparison, it looks like xbox one games will have to run at 720p just keep up in framerate with ps4.

edit: i forgot about the ram advantage which is huge, xbone will struggle to keep up with ps4 graphically.

The difference between PS4 and Xbone in GPU terms is close to 1080p@60fps and 1080p@40fps... this using the same graphis engine (same level of graphics).

Now about 720p vs 1080p is hard to compare because 1080p is 125% bigger than 720p...  and PS4 GPU is 50% better than Xbone GPU.

And there are another points like the GDDR5 speeds (real bandwidth vs. eDRAM cache) and the amount the RAM available to games (6-7GB vs. 5GB).

I think PS4 is in a nice position and are more PC like.

ninjablade said:
HoloDust said:

Umh,  VP shows average performance of GPUs measured from large amount of different benchmarks all over the net, and represents it in VPs. So if 7850 has 141VPs and 7770 has 96VPs, that's some 50% difference in performance - thus, if something runs at 60pfs on average on 7850, it will run at 40fps on average on 7770 - you may however notice that it goes from as little as 35% to all the way to 100% depending of the game in particular benchmarks, but on average it is 50% faster for 7850, which VPs are representing.

If you want direct comparisons, this is a decent place:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372

Unfortunately, there is a lot of cards not represented here, as well as on other similar sites, so VP is invaluable for overall comparisons, being already benchmark aggregate.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
superchunk said:

PC - ultra high (highest possible settings)
PS4 - High
XBOne - Med-High
WiiU - Low.

There is this little question that has always been bugging me: What PC are we talking about ? Do we have some standards or limitations or budget restrains when we are comparing the PC to consoles ?

To me it seems like we are usually comparing a set build of hardware -the console- with the best thing technology has to offer. A constant VS a variable. And that's a bit pointless isn't it because technology never stops to advance so there will always be a hypothetical PC build that's better than any given console.

I'm not referring to any PC. I'm just using the typical PC settings as a relative comparison set.

ethomaz said:

ninjablade said:

The difference between PS4 and Xbone in GPU terms is close to 1080p@60fps and 1080p@40fps... this using the same graphis engine (same level of graphics).

Now about 720p vs 1080p is hard to compare because 1080p is 125% bigger than 720p...  and PS4 GPU is 50% better than Xbone GPU.

And there are another points like the GDDR5 speeds (real bandwidth vs. eDRAM cache) and the amount the RAM available to games (6-7GB vs. 5GB).

I think PS4 is in a nice position and are more PC like.

the games that will be pushing the ps4 hardware  will run at 30 fps on ps4, so those xbox1 games will be running at 1080p, i expect many games to run 720p for xbox1, and then the slow ram is a bottle neck, even the the esram on the gpu.