By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

Chark said:

Bluefalcon posted this earlier for a custome Jaguar CPU that will probably be in both PS4 and Xbox3.

http://www.techpowerup.com/180394/AMD-quot-Jaguar-quot-Micro-architecture-Takes-the-Fight-to-Atom-with-AVX-SSE4-Quad-Core.html

Commenters say AMD listed it as a 1.8ghz

Ohhhh I see... thanks by the link.

The other user said that is anwser to 1.8ghz.

"no amd said it will be clocked 10% higher than what bobcat would've clocked at on 28nm node. that being said 1.8ghz is the worst case scenario, realistic scenario is probably about 20-30% higher due to the added stage in the pipleline in the design, and some due to the 28nm node, so 2ghz-2.2ghz is very likely, but seeing that they introduced a 25w tdp part on these i wont be surprise to see turbo clocks at over 2.4-2.8ghz(considering trinity 19w tdp parts do 2.0-2.8ghz)"

I think we need to wait AMD.

Around the Network

zarx said:

sorry looks like I got that wrong aparently AMD have Jaguar clocked over 1.8GHz at least in the lab. Bobcat was 1.6/1.7GHz not sure where I got that 1.6GHz number from.

But anyway we should see Jaguar soon, they are expected to unvail Kabini and Temash at CeBIT 2013 which is on the 5th of March. Now when actual devices will ship is another question but I wouldn't expect them to be too far off.

That's good... maybe they talk about the APUs in PS4/Nextbox too... I will bockmark this date.

AMD says PS4 has "the most powerful APU we have built to date"

With Sony’s PlayStation 4 featuring new specs and new chips, it’s hard to know just how powerful the console will be. The 8GB GDDR5 RAM is said to be 16x as good as the PS3′s, but what about the APU? AMD has come forward to share some very promising news.

John Taylor, head of marketing for AMD’s Global Business Units, told The Inquirer:

"Everything that Sony has shared in that single chip is AMD [intellectual property], but we have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market."

He revealed that PC users will be able to buy APU later this year, but it will not have the same number of cores or the same computing capability as Sony’s part:

"It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date, it leverages [intellectual property] that you will find in our A-series APUs later this year, our new generation of APUs but none that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops."

Taylor added that the the upcoming A-series parts will highlight just how much work Sony put into the chip in the PlayStation 4, showing that, while the PS4 is far more like a PC than a PS3, it is still not a PC.

What’s most interesting about Taylor’s comments on the APU being the best they have made for anyone on the market is that Microsoft is heavily rumored to being using AMD. They are also rumored to have use slower RAM.

Are you excited about the PS4′s specs? Share your thoughts in the comments below, and stay tuned to PSLS for more PS4 news as it continues to pour in.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/02/26/amd-talks-ps4-it-is-by-far-the-most-powerful-apu-we-have-built-to-date-we-have-not-built-an-apu-quite-like-that-for-anyone-else/

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Most Powerful APU Ever Created.

I like how that sound.

Edit - Now sound even more epic.

ethomaz said:

I like how that sound.

To be fair their APUs all belong to the lower end of their CPU offerings and mainly aimed at laptops and all-in-ones. And even their current A10-5800K their top APU has a GPU that trades blows with the X360s GPU in terms of performance (and more often than not is the loser). Frankly I would be worried if it wasn't by far and away the most powerful APU they ever made.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
zarx said:
ethomaz said:

I like how that sound.

To be fair their APUs all belong to the lower end of their CPU offerings and mainly aimed at laptops and all-in-ones. And even their current A10-5800K their top APU has a GPU that trades blows with the X360s GPU in terms of performance (and more often than not is the loser). Frankly I would be worried if it wasn't by far and away the most powerful APU they ever made.

You don't get the hole fact... Most Powerful APU Ever Created means better than any APU to be released this year by AMD (they said that)... so better than the Nextbox APU. Epic.

ethomaz said:You don't get the hole fact... Most Powerful APU Ever Created means better than any APU to be released this year by AMD (they said that)... so better than the Nextbox APU. Epic.

all the leaks have said that for some time now. Keep in mind it could be that MS licensed custom CPU and GPU designs and creating their own SoC design, so it may not necessarily be technically an AMD APU in the next Xbox. The talk of eSRAM, and "move engines" etc suggest that may be the case. That is what they did with the X360 after they got burnt by Nvidia with the OG XBOX GPU, they made sure they owned the chip designs so they could do what they liked with them, including making a custom SoC design for the slim .

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Nothing new really... just updated OP to be a little cleaner and better written summaries in 2nd post.

ethomaz said:
New rumor.... PS4 overpower.

The AMD CPU present in first devkits has been underclocked at 1.6 GHz... in the final machine the CPU will run 2 GHz.... I think this can be true.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/02/playstation-4-cpu-runs-at-2-ghz-rumor/

The first devolper kits contained underclocked Intel quad-core, hyperthreading processors to simulate 8 core single-threaded Jaguar chips as closely as possible. Makes that linked reference somewhat worthless...

Also the GPU in the Orbis runs at 800MHz (and probably is something like "the bus master"). Hooking a 1.6GHz processor onto the bus is simple, hooking an "oddly clocked" 1.8 or 2.0GHz processor not so...

drkohler said:

The first devolper kits contained underclocked Intel quad-core, hyperthreading processors to simulate 8 core single-threaded Jaguar chips as closely as possible. Makes that linked reference somewhat worthless...

Also the GPU in the Orbis runs at 800MHz (and probably is something like "the bus master"). Hooking a 1.6GHz processor onto the bus is simple, hooking an "oddly clocked" 1.8 or 2.0GHz processor not so...

The first part I didn't know Sony used Intel in the first kits.

About the second part it's not true... AMD APUs have no relation between CPU and GPU clock.

A4-5300: 3.4Ghz (3.7Ghz) / 723Mhz
A6-5400K: 3.6Ghz (3.8Ghz) / 760Mhz
A8-5500: 3.2Ghz (3.7Ghz) / 760Mhz
A8-5600K: 3.6Ghz (3.9Ghz) / 760Mhz
A10-5700: 3.4Ghz (4.0Ghz) / 760Mhz
A10-5800K: 3.8Ghz (4.2Ghz) / 800Mhz

I can't find the relation between them...

A8-38xx: 2.4-3.0Ghz (2.7-?Ghz) / 600Mhz (same GPU clock for all models)
A6-35xx: 2.1-2.7Ghz (2.4-?Ghz) / 433Mhz (same GPU clock for all models)

E Models (PS4 uses a sucessor of this model): 1.4 and 1.7Ghz (no turbo) / 500 and 523Mhz (680Mhz)