By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's going to be spending more on Xbox advertising this holiday season than it did in 2010

The Seattle Times

To continue the momentum - and highlight new entertainment services coming to the Xbox - Microsoft's going to be spending more on Xbox advertising this holiday season than it did in 2010, spokesman David Dennis said.

"We are not just advertising games anymore - we are talking very aggressively about Kinect and how Kinect can interact with all your entertainment," he said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2016747876_video_game_sales_rebound_big_g.html

Around the Network

It is actually right, at least here in Poland - normally we got only PS3 advertisements, at least for last two years it was PS3 that got all the attention. Now, since two weeks there are tv ads for Kinect and Kinect Sports 2 aired, still not as much as PS3 got but its more than nothing.

It just stuns me that this generation hasn't slowed down, yet. Not just the 360, but the PS3, too. Here, we have hardware that has been available for over half a decade and should be (and reportedly IS) on the chopping block, and instead of slowing down in sales, they are getting stronger and stronger. Instead of losing features, they are gaining features, year by year. And their parent companies aren't blindly rushing out the next big thing--they're getting behind them even more.

I don't see a need for a new Xbox or PS3 (though I'll be first in line for a Wii U). Next gen can wait just a little bit longer. I won't feel bad at all.

Nsanity said:

The Seattle Times

To continue the momentum - and highlight new entertainment services coming to the Xbox - Microsoft's going to be spending more on Xbox advertising this holiday season than it did in 2010, spokesman David Dennis said.

"We are not just advertising games anymore - we are talking very aggressively about Kinect and how Kinect can interact with all your entertainment," he said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2016747876_video_game_sales_rebound_big_g.html

@bolded: nothing puts me off more than aggressive marketing, and several times I ended up quarrelling with aggressive marketers. If MS PR meant just "intensive", then I find it a very bad choice of words.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

RolStoppable said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Nsanity said:

The Seattle Times

@bolded: nothing puts me off more than aggressive marketing, and several times I ended up quarrelling with aggressive marketers. If MS PR meant just "intensive", then I find it a very bad choice of words.

Where you have been the whole last year? Everytime someone talks about Kinect it is in an aggressive sense.

If you include sceptics and haters talking aggressively AGAINST it, then I noticed . But here in Italy marketing for it is just appalling, ads that explain users why they should have fun with it (Again? Them too? Didn't anybody tell them it's the worst thing marketing can do?) and neglected demo stands with users left to their own devices doing the painfully slow calibration and a choice of games that perfectly shows the device's lag. Not to mention that if I don't like Miis, I obviously like Mii rip-offs even less, yet another thing that puts me off a lot.

I guess somebody likes this aggressiveness if MS so likes to show it, but sales will tell. Or not, as sales are already supposed to rise for Xmas. But up until now, intensive marketing didn't help Dance Central 2 outside of America, just the Italian marketing cost up until now more than its whole EMEAA profits (one or more ads a day every day for more than one week on at least one of the five biggest Italian TV channels, and now they still broadcast advertising for it, although less often, it must have cost millions, and it just sold little more than 20k in the whole EMEAA, it's possible it even cost more than not just its profits, but its whole revenue).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Nsanity said:

The Seattle Times

Where you have been the whole last year? Everytime someone talks about Kinect it is in an aggressive sense.

Rol is awesome.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

wait so does "xbox advertising" differ from "kinect advertising"?

enditall727 said:

Kinect is a beast of its own.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Ajescent said:
enditall727 said:

Isn't it amazing how MS marketing almost always gives everybody a different but usually awkward feeling, often neglecting the actual advertised product altogether and focusing instead on the advertising itself?   

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Ajescent said:
enditall727 said:

Isn't it amazing how MS marketing almost always gives everybody a different but usually awkward feeling, often neglecting the actual advertised product altogether and focusing instead on the advertising itself?   

It gets people talking about Kinect, which ultimately matters more to MS as they can get more people to buy it afterwards.