By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Fans Should Thank MS

boilermaker11 said:
elnino334 said:

Mainly because it meant a cheaper PS3 ALOT sooner as I am sure SONY wanted to follow the PS2's footstpes in terms of price drop or even do better. Even the clearance sales where great as you got a system $100 cheaper with all the goodies. On top of all this the PS3 hasn't really lost any games though yeah there have been delays but what do you expect as the system is brand new and devs need to get used to it etc. None of this would have been possible without the 360. Just like all the previous generations at least for me once the price is right or it has a game I just have to get I'll have all the consoles.

By the way this does not mean it was good for SONY obviously but if they can withstand the start they should be fine. Even if the 360 where to fail today or the PS3 where to fail in the future both systems have had or will have great games that are worth getting for at some point to play them. The amount of gaming I done on my 360 has more than made up for the price it cost me. Basically competition is good and typically leads to good things for the consumer.

QFT.

Which is why I'm confused as to why every 360 fan wants almost every Playstation game. They won't leave MGS alone. Won't leave FFXIII alone. So on and so forth......but if they were to get all those games, then PS gaming division would crap out, M$ would have a monopoly, and then they could simply do whatever they want

They're good games. Why are you confused that people would want to play them without having to pay an extra $400 for the privelige?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

I agree, and say that it works both ways. More competion means more effort on the part of the developers, and therefore means that the games they put out will be better.

naturally...when businesses compete, consumers win.

Kind of like how HD-DVD was good for Blu Ray prices dropping so fast and those BOGO sales. Now that HD-DVD is not going to be made anymore I worry that Blu Ray prices for movies will go up.

dabaus513 said:
If ms never joined the console market i doubt sony would have felt the need to create "super beast" as i call the ps3. They wouldnt have felt the need to make it this over powered machine with blu ray. Well thats my opinion.

that is 100% correct. Microsoft really pulled a number on Sony, they poured heaps of money into making the Xbox line the hardcore gamer's uber powerful machine and somehow convinced Sony that they had to do the same to compete. If Sony had have just stuck to their guns, they would have been more competitive with Nintendo rather than wasting their time fighting Microsoft, and MS would have been left in their dust.

Instead they tried to beat MS at their own game and are paying a huge penalty for it.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

Ummm, I doubt there would have ever been a frame-solid version of Mass Effect on the PS3, unless they wanted to spend an extra 6-12 months working on it compared to the 360 one.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

jankazimierz said:
Kind of like how HD-DVD was good for Blu Ray prices dropping so fast and those BOGO sales. Now that HD-DVD is not going to be made anymore I worry that Blu Ray prices for movies will go up.

No, because both are competiting agaisnt previous-gen tech:  DVD and Wii.

Supply and demand still applies, it's just that without competition the demand would be a little higher. 

Actually Sony should thank whoever made the final decision that resulted in the RROD problem. Without it the 360 would likely be over 20 million and the PS3 would be trailing badly on a monthly basis in Europe as well as North America.

famousringo said:
boilermaker11 said:
elnino334 said:

Mainly because it meant a cheaper PS3 ALOT sooner as I am sure SONY wanted to follow the PS2's footstpes in terms of price drop or even do better. Even the clearance sales where great as you got a system $100 cheaper with all the goodies. On top of all this the PS3 hasn't really lost any games though yeah there have been delays but what do you expect as the system is brand new and devs need to get used to it etc. None of this would have been possible without the 360. Just like all the previous generations at least for me once the price is right or it has a game I just have to get I'll have all the consoles.

By the way this does not mean it was good for SONY obviously but if they can withstand the start they should be fine. Even if the 360 where to fail today or the PS3 where to fail in the future both systems have had or will have great games that are worth getting for at some point to play them. The amount of gaming I done on my 360 has more than made up for the price it cost me. Basically competition is good and typically leads to good things for the consumer.

QFT.

Which is why I'm confused as to why every 360 fan wants almost every Playstation game. They won't leave MGS alone. Won't leave FFXIII alone. So on and so forth......but if they were to get all those games, then PS gaming division would crap out, M$ would have a monopoly, and then they could simply do whatever they want

They're good games. Why are you confused that people would want to play them without having to pay an extra $400 for the privelige?

Ok, on that same token, why should I have to pay $400 extra for the priviledge to play Bioshock or Dead Rising? Going by your choice of words, the main thing you need to realize is that it IS a priviledge to play "game x" on "system y". If you want to play certain games that are only on one platform, then your only hope is to buy said platform. I wouldn't buy a Wii just to complain "Bioshock should be on the Wii" and I wouldn't have got my PS3 just to say "Zack and Wiki should be on PS3". You know what you get yourself into when you buy a certain console, so don't complain, since it was your decision to not get the system you knew certain games would be on

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"

I think the price drops are more in response to the Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)