By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which country do you find the most interesting during the WW2 era??

USA 15 15.96%

Russia 19 20.21%

England 7 7.45%

Germany 44 46.81%

Japan 1 1.06%

Italy 0 0%

France 2 2.13%

Australia 2 2.13%

Canada 1 1.06%

Finland 3 3.19%

Total:94
mrstickball said:
sethnintendo said:
mrstickball said:

Had that not been the case - either by Germany staying with the Molotov-Ribbentop pact, or convincing Japan to focus not attack Pearl Harbor would of made for a vastly different scenario. That is not to speak of Hitler's other massive blunders like prolonging the initialization of Operation Barbarossa, the Kursk Offensive, taking Stalingrad, or forcing Rommel to commit suicide.

Alternatively, you could have other scenarios that would of been even more woeful for Hitler... Such as Stalin not being as tactically inept as Hitler was at the start of the war. With a few different moves, Russia could have severely changed the results of Operation Barbarossa, likely resulting in a much more fierce defense and capitulation of one or more German Army Groups.

Operation Barbarossa went off pretty well for the Germans at first.  The first winter hindered their progress (with other winters to follow that were even worse) but it wasn't till about the time of Stalingrad and closing near Moscow did the Germans start to falter. 

That is the key. The initial stages totally destroyed Russian defenses. Unfortunately, Hitler made the huge tactical blunder of supressing the Ukranians that had suffered immensely under the Soviets. Rather than use their help against the Russians, he treated them like the Jews and Gypsies, which meant that man and materiel was diverted to supress them instead of getting them to help fight the Russians.

i agree and said earlier i think hitler was over confident and i think some clever people have said it was their biggest weakness,with better politics and diplomacy hitler could have western europe sewn up properly,like you say why take on russia at all but he obviously had a few issues

Above & Beyond

Around the Network

and japan,they took all the british/french colony places quite easily apparently and ruled their backyard why on earth attack the usa,i still don't understand it

Above & Beyond

Yea, I agree with you guys. If Hitler was smart he would have sat on Europe for awhile before attacking Russia. The initial attack was successful (brought huge devastation to the Russian army) but they were unable to outproduce Russia (in weapons and manpower). I believe Hitler decided to attack Russia because he was probably showing signs of decline in his health. He probably wanted to see the fall of Russia before his health got any worse. Keep in mind that many speculate that he had Parkinson's', syphilis, or both.

Just watched a documentary called The Corporation. It actually touched a little on what corporations were doing during WW2. I already knew GM and Ford were using their subsidiaries to still make money in Nazi Germany. However, I was unaware that Coca Cola made the Fanta brand to sell in Germany. Usually, the most authoritarian governments provide the best place to do business.

sethnintendo said:

Just watched a documentary called The Corporation. It actually touched a little on what corporations were doing during WW2. I already knew GM and Ford were using their subsidiaries to still make money in Nazi Germany. However, I was unaware that Coca Cola made the Fanta brand to sell in Germany. Most corporations only care money (screw whatever consequence there is in the name of money) and usually the most authoritarian governments provide the best place to do business.

Looking into it, it seems there were a lot of corporations that had subsidiaries that helped the Nazi cause during the war. Very shady stuff.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

Take it to another thread. Your first paragraph is on WW2, the rest is not.

Sometimes I get on rants and don't stop.  I'll edit the post and just leave the first paragraph.  If you can delete everything but the first paragraph from your post that quoted me then that will make sure the thread doesn't go off topic.

Just finished another documentary yesterday called The Reich Underground. I already knew about some of their underground bunkers and factories but this documentary provided some nice footage of ones that I haven't seen before. They even showed a bunker door with tons of bullet holes and the back wall having chunks taken out from the fire fight. Some of the underground factories were flooded but they showed a decent amount that were still for the most part dry. It was a huge undertaking and required massive slave labor which resulted in many casualties. Work was continued up till the point of the allies over running the positions. They tried to go underground to escape the bombing but too little to late.

mrstickball said:

Looking into it, it seems there were a lot of corporations that had subsidiaries that helped the Nazi cause during the war. Very shady stuff.

Yea, there is always shady stuff going on when there is money to be made.  It doesn't really bother most corporations if that country isn't up to par on human rights.  I am surprised the Jewish population in USA didn't try to make the public more aware of what was going on in Europe.  My knowledge of this isn't up to par though.  I would have to look into that myself.  There were reports but not sure if they were the most damning reports on Germany.

Anyone care to discuss Pearl Harbor attack considering today (Dec. 7) is the anniversary? While it was devastating for US the attacks didn't really accomplish as much as they should have for the Japanese. The US carrier fleet was out at sea during the attacks and remained safe from the attack. This would come back to haunt Japan during the decisive Battle at Midway.

spurgeonryan said:
AlI know is I saw something on TV last night about there being an attack before that attack, and I watched part of Pearl Harbor.

An attack before Pearl Harbor?  Hmmm.. I'm not too sure where that would be.  Perhaps, Japan attacked a USA territory around the same time Pearl Harbor was happening.  I've never heard anything about another attack on the US before Pearl Harbor but I'll have to look into it.   Of course US was losing a decent amount of supply ships from their convoys to the Allies before entering the war officially but I am not sure about any territories they held being attacked before Pearl Harbor.