By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the Only One?

@Doats

When you download a movie in HD, it doesnt take the usualy 1GB it takes like around 8GIGS of data for 1 movie in full 1080p.

Now imagine you bought downloadable movies and in the future are TV's have HDD wich max out at around 200gigs.

Sure if you only want about 25 movies to watch your whole life thats ok, but when you want another movie you have to delete the other one.

HD takes alot of space(my ps3 download a trailor and it ends up being 1 entire GB..)
Blu-ray disc will grow to any amazing 200Gigs. I actually hope blu-ray takes the place of DVD.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network
DOATS1 said:
downloads = DRM because sharing = a big no no

IMO, That's just bullshit propaganda the big corps want you to believe.

Just question yourself, are you buying when you can just download?

And if you're downloading, are you going to buy it in the first place? 

Mummelmann said:
It'll be 10 years minimum until that would be even remotely possible. About 85% of people WW with broadband connections, have DSL, which has a lousy upspeed. So sharing HD content P2P is simply no use at this point. And it'll be a looooong time till any distributor starts selling or renting HD movies in a large scale, especially since the cinema is doing better than ever.
Also, even if someone were to offer it, only a small percentage would have the speed required to download the sheer amount of information contained within HD files with uncompressed content.
Another major issue is; broadband, as far as I know, is availiable and/or in use for roughly 15% of the earth's population, while cinemas and/or movie retailers are available for over 70%, so it would make no sense to give cinema and optical media a cold shoulder for a very long time until thess statistics change.
in conclusion; whichever format (allthough it's 95% sure that BluRay takes it home) wins the "format wars", is here to stay.
Lol, 10 years huh?  My friend here in Korea has already been doing it for a year, and it's starting to become more and more popular here.  Here you pay a monthly fee (about $10) and there is tons of free movies/tv shows on there, then there is also movies you have to pay for, but they are very cheap (2-3$), and tv series like 24 only cost about 30 cents to watch.  The movies are automatically downloaded to the hard drive so there's no need to wait to start watching the movie.  Also there is no up front fees like buying a hard drive (there might be an activation cost, i dunno), just pay the montly fee and when you're done you return the device.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
Mummelmann said:
It'll be 10 years minimum until that would be even remotely possible. About 85% of people WW with broadband connections, have DSL, which has a lousy upspeed. So sharing HD content P2P is simply no use at this point. And it'll be a looooong time till any distributor starts selling or renting HD movies in a large scale, especially since the cinema is doing better than ever.
Also, even if someone were to offer it, only a small percentage would have the speed required to download the sheer amount of information contained within HD files with uncompressed content.
Another major issue is; broadband, as far as I know, is availiable and/or in use for roughly 15% of the earth's population, while cinemas and/or movie retailers are available for over 70%, so it would make no sense to give cinema and optical media a cold shoulder for a very long time until thess statistics change.
in conclusion; whichever format (allthough it's 95% sure that BluRay takes it home) wins the "format wars", is here to stay.
Lol, 10 years huh? My friend here in Korea has already been doing it for a year, and it's starting to become more and more popular here. Here you pay a monthly fee (about $10) and there is tons of free movies/tv shows on there, then there is also movies you have to pay for, but they are very cheap (2-3$), and tv series like 24 only cost about 30 cents to watch. The movies are automatically downloaded to the hard drive so there's no need to wait to start watching the movie. Also there is no up front fees like buying a hard drive (there might be an activation cost, i dunno), just pay the montly fee and when you're done you return the device.

Yes, and we all know that the entire globe is like Korea. Your post de-validates none of my points. I hardly think that the industry will base their entire operation on one nation...

kber81 said:
DOATS1 said:

as a result of the increased likelyhood of blu-ray probably winning the HD formar war, i've been hearing alot of people saying that blu-ray will fail due to the future of "download only" content.

Fanboy's need to ease up their pain somehow. Downloadable content isn't a threat at all for physical medium simply because people like to collect stuff. You can easily buy music online right now for half price and CD albums still sell great. Shit, you don't have to pay at all for music (and keep in mind files are much, much smaller than HD movies). If CD business goes on even though "free" stuff is so easy to find and pick up I can say one thing - BS.

The CD business is in big trouble.  Sales are down significantly.  The ipod has gotten people used to the idea of not needing the physical media.  It will only go downhill for CDs from here.

It will take quite a bit longer for movies though.  It will probably be at least 5 years before we see anything similar.  Disk space will get cheaper and compression schemes will get better.  I definitely look forward to the day of just using my remote to select any movie in my collection without having to find the physical disk. 

Around the Network
zackblue said:
@Doats

When you download a movie in HD, it doesnt take the usualy 1GB it takes like around 8GIGS of data for 1 movie in full 1080p.

Now imagine you bought downloadable movies and in the future are TV's have HDD wich max out at around 200gigs.

Sure if you only want about 25 movies to watch your whole life thats ok, but when you want another movie you have to delete the other one.

HD takes alot of space(my ps3 download a trailor and it ends up being 1 entire GB..)
Blu-ray disc will grow to any amazing 200Gigs. I actually hope blu-ray takes the place of DVD.

Hard drives are cheap, and flash storage can be miniaturised much easier than hard drives can, once they have mainstream adoption to drive development.

If anything, hard drive capacity is the only advanced thing in the average family computer.

Here are some standard prices from newegg.com  

80GB HDD $42

160GB HDD $49

320GB HDD $70

500GB HDD $100

750GB HDD $155 

1TB HDD $270

We can see that hard drives of 500GB or less are extremely cheap relative to a whole computer, and indeed Dell and HP sell budget systems with well over 500GB of total storage.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Mummelmann said:
johnsobas said:
Mummelmann said:
Lol, 10 years huh? My friend here in Korea has already been doing it for a year, and it's starting to become more and more popular here. Here you pay a monthly fee (about $10) and there is tons of free movies/tv shows on there, then there is also movies you have to pay for, but they are very cheap (2-3$), and tv series like 24 only cost about 30 cents to watch. The movies are automatically downloaded to the hard drive so there's no need to wait to start watching the movie. Also there is no up front fees like buying a hard drive (there might be an activation cost, i dunno), just pay the montly fee and when you're done you return the device.

Yes, and we all know that the entire globe is like Korea. Your post de-validates none of my points. I hardly think that the industry will base their entire operation on one nation...

You're saying it's not possible for 10 years, i'm saying it's happening now so why wouldn't it be possible in 5 years in other countries? 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

whatever said:

The CD business is in big trouble. Sales are down significantly. The ipod has gotten people used to the idea of not needing the physical media. It will only go downhill for CDs from here.

Do you have any research to back your opinion? Even if figures are on the way down I wouldn't call it trouble. I'm not saying there is no place for downloadable stuff, just it's for a different audience.

No i dont think it will take over, but it will non the less completely effect Blue ray sells.

THe gigs idea is rather easy fixed, gigs are getting WAY cheap as we go, 500 gigs are what 200 bucks now days?

It wont take over now, but it will really dig into sales later on (5 years or so)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Lost tears of Kain said:
No i dont think it will take over, but it will non the less completely effect Blue ray sells.

THe gigs idea is rather easy fixed, gigs are getting WAY cheap as we go, 500 gigs are what 200 bucks now days?

It wont take over now, but it will really dig into sales later on (5 years or so)

$100, from my table. So they seem to have halved in price very recently. Problem solved.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.