By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the 4th REAL Mario game release? UPDATED!!!!

When will the 4th REAL Mario game release?

Wii-U launch 2012 15 18.99%

2013-2015 28 35.44%

2015-2020 4 5.06%

2020-2031 4 5.06%

2032. 23 years after the last one. 27 34.18%

Total:78
RolStoppable said:
No, I don't agree with this.

It's understandable to disregard Super Mario Bros. 2., because the version the West got was a different game (Doki Doki Panic) with Mario characters added in and the Japanese version could be mistaken for a ROM hack of the original Super Mario Bros.

But Super Mario World isn't just an expansion of Super Mario Bros. 3. It was a rushed sequel to be ready for the SNES launch, so a little bit rough around the edges, but it was a sequel nonetheless. Disregarding NSMB is also debatable, but I guess it can be seen as continuation of the Super Mario Land line rather than the main Super Mario Bros. line. Then again, Yoshi's Island had it's official sequel also moved to a handheld. But for the sake of this thread, let us assume that all the real Mario games are on home consoles, because that is how it should be.

So NSMB Wii is the fourth real game which makes the question when will the fifth real Mario game release. From what we know so far, NSMB Mii is just a placeholder and it could even be a title that doesn't go into full production. But even if it gets made, it isn't guaranteed that it will be much more than assets from NSMB Wii being rearranged and displayed in higher resolution.

I think it will take a big beating for Nintendo until they realize that they need to give the Super Mario Bros. series the attention it deserves, so I am voting for 2015-2020, although I wouldn't be surprised if they postponed the release of another entry into the next decade. We had to wait nearly two decades for NSMB Wii and despite the overwhelming success of this game Nintendo hasn't learned anything.

If I include SMW then I have to include SMW2 which clearly isn't a REAL Mario game. SMB 2 is as close to real Mario as SMW is to Yoshis Island. I wouldn't be suprised if Miyamoto confirms that SMW was going to be a different IP, maybe Yoshi, and they stuck Mario on at the last minute, like SMB2.

World was an SMB 3 expansion combined with a Yoshi Island prequel. Yoshi was overused and overpowered. Where's red, blue and yellow Yoshi these days? I don't mean a palette swap like in NSMB Wii. Combined with the cape, Mario didn't have to do much platforming at all. You could do a double feather power up and fly through/skip most levels. The game was centred around Yoshi and his puzzles.

World also had help blocks. No REAL Mario game requires instructions, especially not in game.

Yoshi doesn't get used anywhere near as much as in SMW anymore. Today, he's used sparingly like water levels. The feather has disappeared along with most of SMW's enemies. SMW didn't leave much of a legacy for future Mario games. Just like SMB2.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
blkfish92 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
blkfish92 said:
This is quite the strange thread, so I guess I'll say real Mario games include Super mario 64 and super mario sunshine and many others.

3D gimmickry and spinoffs don't count. CDi Mario doesn't count either.

You're calling Super mario 64 and sunshine a gimmick? 

Or a spinoff. Or both.

Joelcool7 said:

Pyro you have a weird sense behind what is a real Mario game. The 3D Mario titles like it or not are real Mario games they are true sequels and were simply introducing new technology.

Your also forgetting Super Mario World which was a real Mario game in every sense. In fact it is my favorite Mario game to date and seeing it not listed as legit is hilarious. You also forget the real Mario games found on handhelds they are true Mario games from Six Golden Coins to NSMB:DS. They are all real side scrolling Mario titles.

Fact is the franchise has evolved but the primary titles in both 3D and 2D are legit Mario titles. They aren't spin offs yes NewSuperMarioBros is considered its own franchise by some users, but if it is then what makes it a true Mario game?

What the order of release? Well that might make some sense but Miyamoto always wanted to make Mario 3D at the time that was impossible. Mario was always intended to be this way and still hasn't reached Miyamoto's dreams. So are you saying Miyamoto doesn't know what a real Mario game is? I mean the guy made Mario and he obviously doesn't have a clue.

Just because some gameplay styles have evolved over the years doesn't make 3D Mario titles any less legit Mario titles. The fact that this thread misses out on the countless other legit side scrolling Mario's just proves that you have a very personal view of what makes a Mario title! That view isn't based in fact rather nostalgia you write off every title you didn't enjoy as much.

Mario is Mario and I'd say Miyamoto knows what makes a real Mario game and has the right to make the games as he initially invisioned. He created Mario and you think you have the right to tell him what he should have envisioned and what Mario should be?

No, I don't.

I understand exactly what a REAL Mario game is. That's why I win sales bets against people who don't know what a real mario game is.

Can you change your av and sig to something recognising that fact please? 

This is one of the most retarded threads I have seen yet. Only Nintendo can say what is and what isn't a proper Mario game. The handheld games were and are not gimped. The Super Mario World games were excellent, not merely Yoshi expansion packs. And 3D Mario games are proper and count just as much as the 2D ones do. This is just such an utterly moronic op that I can only assume they are being sarcastic or suffer mental health issues.

Pyro as Bill said:

If I include SMW then I have to include SMW2 which clearly isn't a REAL Mario game. SMB 2 is as close to real Mario as SMW is to Yoshis Island. I wouldn't be suprised if Miyamoto confirms that SMW was going to be a different IP, maybe Yoshi, and they stuck Mario on at the last minute, like SMB2.  WHAT!?

World was an SMB 3 expansion combined with a Yoshi Island prequel. Yoshi was overused and overpowered. Where's red, blue and yellow Yoshi these days? I don't mean a palette swap like in NSMB Wii. Combined with the cape, Mario didn't have to do much platforming at all. You could do a double feather power up and fly through/skip most levels. The game was centred around Yoshi and his puzzles.  I could also Racoon Suit/P-Wing my way through SMB3!!  And many stages didn't even have Yoshi.  And where are some of the SMB3 power ups, these days? 

World also had help blocks. No REAL Mario game requires instructions, especially not in game. --Seriously, I don't get how this has anything to do with anything.  These days, instruction manuals are becoming obsolete so in game assistance is evolution.  Super Mario World had those help blocks but I could argue that SMB3's power ups were more complicated than SMW.  And didn't Toad offer instructions?

Yoshi doesn't get used anywhere near as much as in SMW anymore. Today, he's used sparingly like water levels. The feather has disappeared along with most of SMW's enemies. SMW didn't leave much of a legacy for future Mario games. Just like SMB2.  And a few SMB3 foes have disappeared, too! 

Okay.  I've been there since day 1.  I have a strong attachment to the Mario franchise, too.  I just don't get the logic, here.  How did you become the guy that defines what a real Mario game is and what isn't?  I can see the difference between a 2D Mario and a 3D Mario but you seem to be dividing 2D Mario and 2D Mario!  And the things you're using to divide them don't make much sense to me.  No tutorials?  SM3 and NSMB Wii had Tutorials!  No flying?  Yet SM3 is the game that introduced flying!!  Until SM3D Land (not a REAL Mario game, by your definition), when was the last time you saw a Hammer Bros. Suit?  A Tanooki Suit?  A Frog Suit?  And a TON of Super Mario 3 enemies have never been seen again! 

I don't know why this thread is bothering me so much.  I could just ignore it but I can't.  Do me a favor.  Make a list of what a real Mario game is.  What are the rules.  2D platforming with no flying and no tutorials?  It has to have at least 5 power ups?  What?  List me the ten rules of a real Mario game!

I can't help but feel like I'm being Rol'd, here!  This thread can not be serious and yet, I'm getting frustrated!!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Around the Network

MMmm, November 13th, I reckon.

It already has.

Using your criteria- Never

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

d21lewis said:
Pyro as Bill said:

If I include SMW then I have to include SMW2 which clearly isn't a REAL Mario game. SMB 2 is as close to real Mario as SMW is to Yoshis Island. I wouldn't be suprised if Miyamoto confirms that SMW was going to be a different IP, maybe Yoshi, and they stuck Mario on at the last minute, like SMB2.  WHAT!?

World was an SMB 3 expansion combined with a Yoshi Island prequel. Yoshi was overused and overpowered. Where's red, blue and yellow Yoshi these days? I don't mean a palette swap like in NSMB Wii. Combined with the cape, Mario didn't have to do much platforming at all. You could do a double feather power up and fly through/skip most levels. The game was centred around Yoshi and his puzzles.  I could also Racoon Suit/P-Wing my way through SMB3!!  And many stages didn't even have Yoshi.  And where are some of the SMB3 power ups, these days? 

World also had help blocks. No REAL Mario game requires instructions, especially not in game. --Seriously, I don't get how this has anything to do with anything.  These days, instruction manuals are becoming obsolete so in game assistance is evolution.  Super Mario World had those help blocks but I could argue that SMB3's power ups were more complicated than SMW.  And didn't Toad offer instructions?

Yoshi doesn't get used anywhere near as much as in SMW anymore. Today, he's used sparingly like water levels. The feather has disappeared along with most of SMW's enemies. SMW didn't leave much of a legacy for future Mario games. Just like SMB2.  And a few SMB3 foes have disappeared, too! 

Okay.  I've been there since day 1.  I have a strong attachment to the Mario franchise, too.  I just don't get the logic, here.  How did you become the guy that defines what a real Mario game is and what isn't?  I can see the difference between a 2D Mario and a 3D Mario but you seem to be dividing 2D Mario and 2D Mario!  And the things you're using to divide them don't make much sense to me.  No tutorials?  SM3 and NSMB Wii had Tutorials!  No flying?  Yet SM3 is the game that introduced flying!!  Until SM3D Land (not a REAL Mario game, by your definition), when was the last time you saw a Hammer Bros. Suit?  A Tanooki Suit?  A Frog Suit?  And a TON of Super Mario 3 enemies have never been seen again! 

I don't know why this thread is bothering me so much.  I could just ignore it but I can't.  Do me a favor.  Make a list of what a real Mario game is.  What are the rules.  2D platforming with no flying and no tutorials?  It has to have at least 5 power ups?  What?  List me the ten rules of a real Mario game!

I can't help but feel like I'm being Rol'd, here!  This thread can not be serious and yet, I'm getting frustrated!!

The feather and/or blue Yoshi allow you to fly through the whole level. Propellor and leaf don't (Pwing was rare). You're forced to land and platform instead of flying over the whole level. That's why Nintendo dropped the cape and used the propellor instead. It's simple to use and achieves the same goal as the leaf. Frog suit is the new penguin suit. Hammer bros suit was just a rare 'missile throwing' suit. Much better to have the fire or ice flower.

Which SMB 3 enemies have never returned? Not many compared with how many it brought to the series.

Meanwhile, where's the firebreathing triceratops and American Footballkoopa. Probably on one of Yoshi's islands where they belong.

By your count NSMBW is the fourth considering

Can't forget japanese Super Mario Bros 2

Pyro as Bill said:
d21lewis said:
Pyro as Bill said:

The feather and/or blue Yoshi allow you to fly through the whole level. Propellor and leaf don't (Pwing was rare). You're forced to land and platform instead of flying over the whole level. That's why Nintendo dropped the cape and used the propellor instead. It's simple to use and achieves the same goal as the leaf. Frog suit is the new penguin suit. Hammer bros suit was just a rare 'missile throwing' suit. Much better to have the fire or ice flower.

Which SMB 3 enemies have never returned? Not many compared with how many it brought to the series.

Meanwhile, where's the firebreathing triceratops and American Footballkoopa. Probably on one of Yoshi's islands where they belong.

Using your pic, you can see that many of those enemies weren't introduced in SMB3.  And of those that were, Stretch, Lava Lotus, Fire Chomp, Big Bertha, whatever that beetle is that runs really fast, Kuribo Goombe (with the shoe), Fire Bros, Nipper Plants, those electric jellyfish,Rocky wrench bros., that Micro Gooba that hides in a block, Boom Boom, Fire Snake, that little fire guy that hid on a candle (can't remember his name), and Ptooie.  A couple others whose name I don't remember also disappeared (but since there was only one REAL Mario game since SMB 3, that's understandable).

Of those that were introduced in SM3 and stuck around, Chain Chomp, the Fire Plant, the Koopalings (but not Bowser Jr.  He came from SMS), Bob-Omb, Canons, Para-Goombas, Boo (called Boo-Diddly at the time) and maybe a couple that I'm forgetting stuck around.

I'm not new to this. 

SMW introduced a billion new enemies.   Some stuck around.  Some didn't.  Maybe it was because it took place in a different land (Dinosaur Land).  Still, just like the ones that were introduced in Mario 3 and didn't stick around, they fit the game and the world they were in perfectly.