By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Numbers That MS Needs To Pull To Tie The PS3 For 2011. And Why I Think It Is Now Impossible.

Will The 360 Be Able To Pull It Off?

The Kinect Will Rule The ... 220 27.92%

It Will Be Close, But The... 241 30.58%

No Way. The PS3 Will Be ... 270 34.26%

What Are You Talking Abou... 56 7.11%

Total:787

its possible now, espacially without knowing Sony's numbers.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Personally the sales are irrelevant in my view this late into the console cycle. But im sure a lot of you are waiting for the PS3 to pass the 360 right? Anyway i have lost interest in the whole PS3 vs 360 thing. But im sure most on this site disagree.

pezus said:
^Wall of text a few posts back

After reading it, I naturally scrolled down the screen and I still could see black lines against the white background. It took me 'bout 45 secs. to recover.

VGKing said:
After seeing the 360 Black friday sales I have no doubt the 360 will outsell the PS3 worldwide *he said sadly*

You're looking at one of the busiest weeks for sales in America and stretching it out for the entire holiday season.  Can't really do that.  Next week there will quite a big drop in sales and it won't really rise again to near this level till the week or 2 before Christmas.  Plus, I would imagine that with the early shopping hours (this year Wal-mart and other stores were open at 10 PM on Thurs, while Toys R Us was open at 9PM), most moved their holiday shopping from later in the year to BF week.  The reason being that while Black Friday is crazy, many choose to not get up super early to join in the fray.  But this year was extra crazy, with A LOT of people not having a problem going out at 9/10 on Thurs to get those great deals.  Then, of course, you have the holiday shopping mostly ramping up in Japan in late Dec, which will greatly favor the PS3.

For argument's sake, though, let's just assume the 360 drops the lead to 1 million in this weeks data.  This would mean the 360 would have to outsell the PS3 by 200K every week for the next 5 weeks.  That would be quite easy to do if there was a Black Friday every week until Christmas, what with all the great price cuts and gift card deals.  However, this is not the case, so the weekly gap between the 360 and PS3 will decrease quite a bit with PS3's popularity in Japan and what we used to call EMEAA (though will still probably be in favor of the 360). 

To many ps3 owners here!!! I'm hide in my shell = D j/k i think M$ is going to win money wise because, of Xbox live they love there revenue from xbl not only that but c'om they will still be happy being in 3 place because look and Sony and M$ . Sony is failing in the tv division sadly nd M$ is still striving money wise so M$ wins, But console wise sony wins but at a lost. Any who lets all just play some games!!!!!!! how's up for some kz3? or Geow3?

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
VGKing said:
After seeing the 360 Black friday sales I have no doubt the 360 will outsell the PS3 worldwide *he said sadly*

You're looking at one of the busiest weeks for sales in America and stretching it out for the entire holiday season.  Can't really do that.  Next week there will quite a big drop in sales and it won't really rise again to near this level till the week or 2 before Christmas.  Plus, I would imagine that with the early shopping hours (this year Wal-mart and other stores were open at 10 PM on Thurs, while Toys R Us was open at 9PM), most moved their holiday shopping from later in the year to BF week.  The reason being that while Black Friday is crazy, many choose to not get up super early to join in the fray.  But this year was extra crazy, with A LOT of people not having a problem going out at 9/10 on Thurs to get those great deals.  Then, of course, you have the holiday shopping mostly ramping up in Japan in late Dec, which will greatly favor the PS3.

For argument's sake, though, let's just assume the 360 drops the lead to 1 million in this weeks data.  This would mean the 360 would have to outsell the PS3 by 200K every week for the next 5 weeks.  That would be quite easy to do if there was a Black Friday every week until Christmas, what with all the great price cuts and gift card deals.  However, this is not the case, so the weekly gap between the 360 and PS3 will decrease quite a bit with PS3's popularity in Japan and what we used to call EMEAA (though will still probably be in favor of the 360). 

We're anticipating (the site) for 360 to outsell the PS3 by 200 - 400k weekly. 360 saw strong demand over BF but it won't drop like you're expecting it too, it'll keep the momentum going. You just like to ignore all the signs (and there are a lot of them ) you'll come around in the next 2 or so weeks don't worry.

Ooops typo LOL ''who's''

haha i know hindsight is a sod! but wow hahaha, could be close

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Seece said:
Michael-5 said:
287k lead over next 5 weeks?

Maybe next week 360 can pull that off, but for 5 weeks, no.

I think I will be right overall though. PS3 will win 2011, but by less then 1 million, maybe even just 500k.

360 should close the gap to 1 mill this week, so 200k over the next 5 weeks. Which isn't remotely difficult with the momentum it has. Black Friday week sales are never above Christmas week sales for any system, 360 will do 1.2/1.3M this week WW, so is a shoe in for 1.5M xmas week.

While i absolutely agree with you mate, I have to say, damn that would be an achievement, 1.3 -1.5 million week, in it's 6th year! Didn't really expect to see any of this coming, before the Xbox 360S began rearing it's head last year.

Microsoft must be damn pleased they didn't drop out of consoles after the original Xbox and first few years of 360 failure. :)

Millenium said:
Seece said:
Michael-5 said:
287k lead over next 5 weeks?

Maybe next week 360 can pull that off, but for 5 weeks, no.

I think I will be right overall though. PS3 will win 2011, but by less then 1 million, maybe even just 500k.

360 should close the gap to 1 mill this week, so 200k over the next 5 weeks. Which isn't remotely difficult with the momentum it has. Black Friday week sales are never above Christmas week sales for any system, 360 will do 1.2/1.3M this week WW, so is a shoe in for 1.5M xmas week.

While i absolutely agree with you mate, I have to say, damn that would be an achievement, 1.3 -1.5 million week, in it's 6th year! Didn't really expect to see any of this coming, before the Xbox 360S began rearing it's head last year.

Microsoft must be damn pleased they didn't drop out of consoles after the original Xbox and first few years of 360 failure. :)

Yup, it would. The last 2 years the Xmas week has increased on Black Friday week numbers by 200k+, 1.5M might be a bit of a push though, probably not a shoe in like I said.