By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - china finally gets its first home console but its not from one of the big 3?

Tagged games:

if this console released WW would you by it

yes 4 6.35%

no 39 61.90%

maybe so 6 9.52%

i have a kinect and am lo... 0 0%

i have PSmove and am look... 3 4.76%

Wiiu is awesomeer 11 17.46%

Total:63
Dr.Grass said:
JayLam said:
KillerMan said:

There is so big untapped console market in china that it's not funny. Middle class is already over 100 million people and growing each year. Shame that big three are prohibited to sell theis consoles (I wonder why?).

the answer is the silly government and old school social tag the game console as electric drug especially for the young...

Are you saying there's no truth in that !?

yeah the game is evil from the parents standpoint especially the online game.

Around the Network
phinch1 said:
KillerMan said:

There is so big untapped console market in china that it's not funny. Middle class is already over 100 million people and growing each year. Shame that big three are prohibited to sell theis consoles (I wonder why?).

I think if the ps3 and 360 were sold in China, ps3 would be leading WW sales by now

you can purchase the PS3 online or in the game store,its easy to get one,and the price is no more than 350USD,so we dont care if SONY is going to sell the PS3 in China or not...in fact the sales in JP already count in the most part sales in China

Zuhyc said:
I'm 100 % sure that the PS2 was released in China

yeah  but it was meaningless and failed

most of us had played with the JP ver、EU ver and American ver consoles for years...only few gamers brought the CN ver.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
zuvuyeay said:
are we saying that there are no wii's,360's and ps3's in china anywhere

well thats what the article suggest but i'm sure there are some being imported or something but i doubt there being sold legitimately.

its legitimate only if you can pass the customs.the government dont care anything about the console sold in China.

JayLam said:
Zuhyc said:
I'm 100 % sure that the PS2 was released in China

yeah  but it was meaningless and failed

most of us had played with the JP ver、EU ver and American ver consoles for years...only few gamers brought the CN ver.

I have no idea if it did good or bad (appearantly bad) but I remember reading about the Chinese release in my local PS2 magazine (dutch). Just put Chinese PS2 release in google and you'll get results.

Around the Network
JayLam said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
zuvuyeay said:

well thats what the article suggest but i'm sure there are some being imported or something but i doubt there being sold legitimately.

its legitimate only if you can pass the customs.the government dont care anything about the console sold in China.

thanks for the info. the threads about dead so theres no point in changing the title now.

spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
JayLam said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
zuvuyeay said:

thanks for the info. the threads about dead so theres no point in changing the title now.

It just amazes me how china will take in American Movies and books, and Music. But game systems they do not as much. Strange.

hey its China! what can ya do lol?

spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
JayLam said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
zuvuyeay said:

It just amazes me how china will take in American Movies and books, and Music. But game systems they do not as much. Strange.

hey its China! what can ya do lol?

Nothing. Nothing at all! Now what? 

enjoy and eatt chinese food like me.

Well this console has been in the works for years its awesome to finally see it launching. Also their are other reasons no other consoles have come to China then just protectionist. The Chinese Government fears video games and has limited the play of PC games and completely outlawed the sale of video game consoles.

The company is classifying the console as a "Home entertainment center" in hopes of getting around the ban. Something they appear to be doing also note they mention it as a sports machine. This is all being done to circumvent China's anti gaming policies.

Also Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo in order to bring a console to China would need to give assets to China. Nintendo can't just sell and distribute its Japanese console. Hence why when Nintendo's i-Que came to China Nintendo themselves couldn't distribute the system and handle much of its national operations a Chinese partner had to deal with all the business in China.

Also a correction a news article I just read "A wider launch which will include traditional markets like Europe and North America will take place in the early months of 2012." - Softpedia

If they did indeed say they needed to sell a million units then they are pretty dang sure that they will do so and must already be hard at work on the world launch!

Honestly I think the console will sell shit loads in China. But once it comes to North America many software companies will be reluctant to work on it. The Chinese Government is notorious for hacking corporations spying on them and censoring their products. Companies like Google which worked with China had to stop do to China's abuse of its users and staff.

The console will likely receive a few titles, the Chinese titles will probably all be ported but I doubt it will see massive support from third parties in Japan or North America/Europe. I'd say it will likely crash out in the rest of the world similar to how X-Box crashed in Japan. It might do slightly better then X-Box did in Japan but I don't see it being massive outside China.

Also the consoles very high price tag better only exist in China if the company has any hope of success around the globe. The console isn't that powerful last I heard and with WiiU coming next year most likely around 300$ this console needs a very affordable price to even be a contender. The price they have listed will fail miserably outside Japan where the company will actually face competition!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

spurgeonryan said:

You say it is illegal to buy other consoles there? What happens if you do? They accept our movies, but not the games? Makes no sense to me.

As for your console leaving China comment....does it really have a chance?

To my knowledge it isn't illegal to buy but to sell. China has very tight controls over its media and gaming is seen as a possible threat to the nations interests. The new machine wasn't able to be called a game console it had to be called something unique to utalize a loop hole in Chinese law.

I'm not sure if the console has a chance in hell outside China. If it has solid third party support from Japanese and western studios it does have a slight chance. But I think China is where it will be successful. Also in history we know that rarely does more then three hardware manufacturers see success! The industry doesn't have room for a fourth or fifth hardware company!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer