By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega Dreamcast/Saturn Games on Virtual Console

Here's a novel idea; why not just repackage Saturn/Dreamcast games into Wii cases? Nintendo could just add a DC/Saturn emulator on the disc then sell them as if they were actual Wii games that required either the classic controller or the GC controller. An example of a game would  be "Sega Classics: Soul Calibur" or something like that. Then they could sell it a bargain rate at like $15 bucks a game or so. That way no one has to download a huge game onto their HardDrive or have a huge SD card.

In fact, this will never happen, but a company like sega could release their Dreamcast game and make it universal-- then pack in an emulator for each system (PS3/Xbox/Wii) so that the disc will work regardless of system!

Around the Network

That is an awesome idea.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Games on discs, wow thats novel. But seriously it is a good idea, it has been done before with the megadrive etc...

Why wouldn't Sega just release a 'Sega Classic collection'?

they do it a million times with Atari games; but those you can download easily. The CD based games have FMVs and stuff and if you have to compress that, then tweak it to work with the wii, that requires a lot of work, and work = cost.

But if you could make an emulator to essentially map the memory card to the Wii system memory and then map the buttons to the CG/Classic controller, you can apply it to all games at once and then repackage onto disk. It would require a whole lot less work than editting each game to make it VC ready. And less work = cheap = faster return on investment.

Around the Network

I would love Virtua Cop with Wii controls :).

Just make them release Shenmue Ultimate Wii with both parts. That's all I want since my DC broke before I could get my hands on 2 and don't even know how it ends ;) But it's a great idea with emulating, there are many great DC games, they could easily make a 3 Games Disc at a budget price.

“And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.” -Terry Pratchett

www.lost-acres.de

That would be cool if a bunch of companies did that with the "universal disc" idea. Then it would be the equivalent of DRM free music

That would be brilliant! There are so many great Dreamcast fighters and light gun games I'd love to get my hands on and I definitely prefer the idea of having them on disc. It just feels far more safe in case anything happens to your console, plus you can sell them on if you want.

That Guy said:

Here's a novel idea; why not just repackage Saturn/Dreamcast games into Wii cases? Nintendo could just add a DC/Saturn emulator on the disc then sell them as if they were actual Wii games that required either the classic controller or the GC controller. An example of a game would  be "Sega Classics: Soul Calibur" or something like that. Then they could sell it a bargain rate at like $15 bucks a game or so. That way no one has to download a huge game onto their HardDrive or have a huge SD card.

In fact, this will never happen, but a company like sega could release their Dreamcast game and make it universal-- then pack in an emulator for each system (PS3/Xbox/Wii) so that the disc will work regardless of system!

Yeah, no way. It removes the whole aspect of "im sitting on my couch, im bored, hmm, bam download a game. It also introduces the "I have to go out and get this old game if I want it, and it may not be in stock".

Stores dont want classic collections taking up shelf space, they want new games on the shelf, unless they are big time sellers.

The answer to Sega Saturn or any "CD/DVD" based game being available for download is

>>>

Its real real simple - two things are possible, option B is the least "annoying"

Option A: Nintendo releases an update for the wii that allows the wii to support HC SD cards, allowing us to choose from many high capacity options, (lets use an 8GB one for example). The Wii can then be made to run those games from the SD card - it would have most of the data on the card and need to retreive an authorization from the Wifi connection, thus allowing the game to run on the Wii.

Option B: cheaper, and more space - the Wii will receive an update which will allow external HD's to be plugged into the USB port - same scenario as above, but an HD is cheaper and has more capacity, we can also put our old unused IDE drives into an external case and use that (I have a 250GB one sitting around).

Plenty of room, and completely possible.

Option C also exsist: proprietary external HD - bad choice because it equals more expense for Nintendo's customer, something they have avoided in the price of their console.