By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn IGN UK review!

Tagged games:

You going to check this movie out?

Yes 6 40.00%

For sure! 2 13.33%

No, probably not 3 20.00%

Maybe 2 13.33%

Later 2 13.33%

Total:15

To be honest, I never thought it looked so good.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Boutros said:
To be honest, I never thought it looked so good.

Your from Canada right? Is this big there?

Is it big anywhere nowadays? XD

But yes it used to be popular here. I remember watching the animated show and my dad has many comics. I used to play the game Prisoners of the Sun as well.

I don't know from the trailer it looks a bit bland.

I would have preferred a non-animated version. From the US and love TinTIn read them all as a teenager. The film will only be good if Captain Haddock lives up to the comics character and if it is funny.

Tintin is basically Europe's Yellow Kid or Astro Boy, i.e. one of the most important comic books ever created. It's also one of those timeless classics that's still read by new generations today (the comic was first published in 1929, the last issue in 1976).

Spielberg's/Jackson's movie is not ligne claire CGI - that's what I'd have expected from those two self-proclaimed huge Tintin fans - it's just typical, perfect and bland modern CGI imo (don't get me wrong - I love CGI movies ever since I saw the first Toy Story, but the perfect and bland look of these movies starts to bore me).

I don't like the look of Tintin, Captain Haddock and Milou (the dog - Snowy in English version), especially the faces of these iconic characters, but then again, I'm not forced to watch the movie.

Boxoffice results of this movie will be interesting to follow though, worldwide and regional. Especially: Will the Belgians and French watch it? (Tintin is the most influential comic in FrancoBelgian and European comic history, Tintin's creator Hergé is Belgium's national hero and Tintin is one of the Belgian cultural treasures as far as I know).

The environments look great, the characters not so great. Not like how I remember 'Kuifje' from the comics and cartoons. I would have loved to see it hand drawn like the old cartoons with the care and budget of something like the princess and the frog.

I might rent it when it eventually shows up on cable on-demand, Zune or ps3.

Thanks for that video, the links to the old cartoons bring back lots of memories :)

Around the Network

Herge got an godstatus because his work was so influential, His Tintin comics were an great example of hard work and dedication, it was even that popular that some countries were scared that the next Tintin would be based in their country, legend goes that Tintin in China(The blue lotus) that takes place during the Japanese invasion was so hated by the Japanese that every person in Tianjin that dare to say he came from the country of Tintin was killed or dissapeared....

Herge and his Tintin comics inspired many to start a career, the smurfs like mentioned before would not have existed without Tintin, another example was Matt Groening who stated that the Simpsons probably would not have existed without Tintin (possible why Tintin got mentioned a few times in one of the last seasons?).
But we are to young to really understand what Tintin meant for the world I guess.

I've read all of his adventures ( apart from the unfinished adventure herge was working on when he died) many times over so no matter what the film is reviewed as or how good the trailer looks I'll have to go and see it! Can't help thinking the heads look slightly strange in the trailer though...

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

You can buy the unfinished adventure, if you read them all then I would recommend it for you.

spurgeonryan said:
NKAJ said:
I've read all of his adventures ( apart from the unfinished adventure herge was working on when he died) many times over so no matter what the film is reviewed as or how good the trailer looks I'll have to go and see it! Can't help thinking the heads look slightly strange in the trailer though...

Your sig is crazy! I just realized that he acts just like Dexter, in that they have no idea how to act ...normal.

Anyways has the unfinished adventure ever been published? Usually after authors death their work is published.

haha thanks, he is indeed rather abnormal!  yeah it's been published but I just never got round to reading it...perhaps because I heard rumours of Tintin possibly dying in it...too heartreaking for me to read :D

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

spurgeonryan said:
NKAJ said:
spurgeonryan said:
NKAJ said:

Your sig is crazy! I just realized that he acts just like Dexter, in that they have no idea how to act ...normal.

Anyways has the unfinished adventure ever been published? Usually after authors death their work is published.

haha thanks, he is indeed rather abnormal!  yeah it's been published but I just never got round to reading it...perhaps because I heard rumours of Tintin possibly dying in it...too heartreaking for me to read :D

Since you are a big fan, have you seen the new movie yet? It is doing pretty well overseas. Already over 60 million in sales!

Not yet, this week and next week are exam weeks for me,but after that i'm definately going!