By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is Foreign Occupation of Somalia needed!

Is international intervention required in Somalia?

Yes 12 42.86%

No 16 57.14%

Total:28

So a few years ago when Ethiopia invaded Somalia I suggested that the United Nations should send a larger peace keeping force to try and stabilize Somalia and return its Government to power.

Since I made that topic a lot of things have happened in Somalia to solidify this idea in my head.

Elections is a perfect example. The democratic Government was due to hold elections awhile ago. However since they only control Mogadishu and a few towns and cities in the country. They lack control of the majority of the country. Holding elections would be seen as illegitimate since a large amount of the population couldn't vote. The Government delayed the votes and cancelled the elections something that is very damaging.

Since my initial topic Pirates have taken over the Somali coast. They attack ships mercilessly and even Nato's naval presence isn't enough to actually deter pirates. Nato themselves have said that their operations off the coast are really un affective. Senior commanders have suggested in order to actually stop piracy pirates home bases need to be shut down. A ground offensive is necessary to stop the piracy.

Somali insurgents Al Shabab has went from operating inside Somalia as an arm of Al Qaida to a global terrorist network attacking targets in other parts of Africa and threatening to target countries across the globe. The threat is very real to all our countries and Somalia's Al Shabab has sheltered terrorists from Al qaida and other terrorist organizations.

Famine hit Somalia and the UN moved to feed the millions of civilians. But Al Shabab raided UN compounds and apparently stole food and resources from the poor people. They made delivering aid to the millions of citizens across Somalia impossible driving an increasing amount of civilians out of the country or through war zones to reach Mogadishu itself which was also a war zone for a large amount of the famine and today remains under constant attack.

Fact is with Kenya now entering Somalia to pursue kidnappers and Al Shabab as well as an attempt to stop piracy. Should the rest of the world just sit there and let them fail? Ethiopia toppled the Islamic Council and fought Al Shabab till it was no longer capable of fighting the war. Kenya is in no better position then Ethiopia was.

I think now is the time for international forces to enter Somalia and stabilize it. Yes we have failed in the past but there is a saying "Try try again" you don't give up especially when so much is at stake.

If international forces took over Somalia they could allow the Government to carry out free and fair elections. Enable the UN to distribute much needed aid to all parts of the country. Stop the pirates in their tracks free hostages and make one of the worlds most important water ways safe for traffic again. Then after 5-10 years a national army could take over, the current army is already capable of controlling the capital and parts of the country it won't need to be built from scratch.

Now I don't think America and EU should be the only countries in Somalia. I think Kenyan forces, Ethiopian Forces, and forces from across the AU should all be hugely involved. Then Saudi Arabia, Egypt and other countries which ship through Somali waters should also contribute to the military force.

Essentially I think that a United Nations force of epic proportions should be present in Somalia. 50,000+ soldiers and the already in place Naval forces should be enough to stabilize Somalia. It doesn't need to be another Iraq or Afghanistan the Government Army is already capable of defending and protecting parts of the country.

I think Ethiopia should be first to send forces to back Kenya. Then Kenya and Ethiopia should put immense pressure on the rest of the AU to send additional forces immediately. Followed by an appeal to Middle Eastern countries and lastly the west.

So what do you think should more countries send forces to Somalia?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I bet no-one on the entire site reads the whole OP.

Are question marks needed!

Dr.Grass said:
I bet no-one on the whole site reads the whole OP.

This depends on whether the reader is politically minded or not. I have been told many times by readers that they sometimes enjoy my large threads and other times don't. It all depends on the individual reader and whether they are passionate about the subject and topic. I can guarantee that at least a few readers on VGChartz will read the whole OP. I have written larger OP's many times and had people who read the whole thing.

Also this is not my largest OP by a long shot. I purposely tried to keep it as short as possible while giving the basis for my argument.

But you not reading it is a little bit of a blow, you tend to be one of the more interesting and intellectual contributors in my threads over the last few months. I value your input so its sort of sad you yourself aren't going to read the whole OP.

Too bad we couldn't wager money on that bet. I am guessing someone will probably quote my OP and address most of my points with counter points it almost always happens.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I read the whole thing. But i like politics so i guess it just held my attention. Anyway i think foreign intervention was needed. Without any help they probably would get over run

spurgeonryan said:
Dr.Grass said:

Dr. Grass is a genius! And this is why he should have won favorite vgchart user other edition! Because of him I read the whole thing! Good mind trick Dr. Grass!

As for foreign occupation... I think advisors would be a better fit.

I bet no-one on the entire site would vote for me.

DAMN - too late!

I think I piss enough people off to warrant losing popularity contests easily. Plus I hardly ever make threads. Oh, and I'm not an atheist or gay either - major issues around here.

Joelcool7 said:
Dr.Grass said:
I bet no-one on the whole site reads the whole OP.

This depends on whether the reader is politically minded or not. I have been told many times by readers that they sometimes enjoy my large threads and other times don't. It all depends on the individual reader and whether they are passionate about the subject and topic. I can guarantee that at least a few readers on VGChartz will read the whole OP. I have written larger OP's many times and had people who read the whole thing.

Also this is not my largest OP by a long shot. I purposely tried to keep it as short as possible while giving the basis for my argument.

But you not reading it is a little bit of a blow, you tend to be one of the more interesting and intellectual contributors in my threads over the last few months. I value your input so its sort of sad you yourself aren't going to read the whole OP.

Too bad we couldn't wager money on that bet. I am guessing someone will probably quote my OP and address most of my points with counter points it almost always happens.

Thanks for the compliments Mr.Cool.

Well, I read your previous thread about Somalia, and I my intention with that post was perhaps not so clear...

Problem is I don't really know enough about politics (and most likely never will) to be able to give an opinion on such a serious topic as this. I just thought I'd at least make a post - for fun you know

Plus I've had Cartman's song in my head the last few hours because of you

spurgeonryan said:
Dr.Grass said:
spurgeonryan said:
Dr.Grass said:

Dr. Grass is a genius! And this is why he should have won favorite vgchart user other edition! Because of him I read the whole thing! Good mind trick Dr. Grass!

As for foreign occupation... I think advisors would be a better fit.

I bet no-one on the entire site would vote for me.

DAMN - too late!

I think I piss enough people off to warrant losing popularity contests easily. Plus I hardly ever make threads. Oh, and I'm not an atheist or gay either - major issues around here.

I remember the first time I noticed you was in a health thread I did and you annoyed me about being a vegetarian! :P

I like how you don't hold grudges Sorry about that though - you have a link to that thread? (we should seriously stop derailing this rather serious thread now XD )

who cares,aslong as the U.S. doesn't have anything to do with it. lol