By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Orange Box(pc) button mapping questions

I was just wondering how extensive the button mapping options are for the PC version of The Orange Box. I don't like using the keyboard to play games, but if I could hook up my PS2 controller, and have that in one hand and the mouse in the other, it might be worth a try.

What buttons are used on the keyboard, what does each button do, and do the button mapping option allow you to map forward, back, left, and right to a joystick?

Since I'd be using a PS2 controller, I'd have a single joystick and 3 main buttons(L1, L2, and LAnalogue) and of course the D pad could handle 4 buttons, provided they handled secondary features like pausing the game or switching weapons. All that would be in my left hand, and  my mouse has 4 buttons, scroll wheel, and scroll click that I would have in my right hand.

Has anyone already attempted a configuration like this? I had played thief: deadly shadows on gametap and that gave me options to adjust this. The only thing really holding me back from, at the very least, getting portal, is the idea that I'd have to use the keyboard.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

Ugh, can't understand why you'd want to do that, but I suppose if you're still using the mouse for looking, it ought to work.

W- move forward
S- move backward
A- move left
D- move right
R- reload
G- taunt
V- voice communication
Z,X,C- 3 different speech menus
1-3(1-5 for engineer)- weapon selection
Tab- view scores
Space- jump
Ctrl- crouch
Shift + Tab- bring up Steam Community overlay
I think...l?- drop intel (for ctf) might be h.

I think there's a few more buttons...I forget.

I'm pretty sure you can map movement to the joystick, I don't know if it's analog walking though, it might just be walking or not walking.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I grew up on console gaming, so I expect the buttons I'm going to be using to BE right there under whichever finger or thumb I'm going to press with. When I try to float my hands over the keyboard I can get the WASD keys just fine, and even teh spacebar with my thumb, but it almost ALWAYS ends up that as soon as I need to press any of the other keys, I'll end up either missing the key and hitting a different one, or I have to shift my whole hand, and then I can't get my hand settled back over the proper keys without having to look back down at my keyboard.
It's VERY annoying in my eyes and I think one of the key issues most console gamers have who don't like playing PC games.

What about the keys for Portal? That and TF2 are my primary reasons to want to get Orange Box, I may even just get the stand alone version instea.

Can anyone confirm whether analogue controls work for walking? 

Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

I'll check, hang on.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Yeah it works, but there's not really analog control, as that wouldn't really work in the game. You can adjust the sensitivity, and it does work though.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Around the Network

Sensitivity? Keep in mind, I haven't ever PLAYED these games.

They're PC games. In most PC games, moving with WSAD means there's no analog movement...no tip-toeing blending to walking blending to sprinting. It's sprinting or no movement at all. Unless Shift makes you walk, as it does it many games.

So when you use an analog stick, you can set it to near 0% sensitivity so that if you even just barely touch up, you move forward at maximum speed. Or you can set it to 100%, so that in order to move up, you need to put the joystick at the very max it can go up. Neither is desirable, sensitivity is defaulted to 17% I believe...so that it gives you some dead zone, but you don't have to move the stick too far to move.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Of course, analog movement shouldn't be allowed in a PC game that is meant to be played with a keyboard. It would allow for slower walking which would be beneficial for snipers, and perhaps for Spies. I'm guessing the 360 version doesn't have analog movement of course.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that was what you were talking about, but I wasn't totally certain.

Still though, what about the control setup for Portal? It can't be exactly the same as TF2

It's similar...just less. No reloading, taunting or any of that.

WSAD for movement
Ctrl - crouch
Q/E - switch to Orange or Blue gun (not that neccessary...it's also set to the left and right mouse button)
Space - jump

That's pretty much it...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM