By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Has “Tight memory, Poor IO Performance” – John Carmack

o_O.Q said:
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pezus said:
What excuse did he have for the PC version? Surely not tight memory...

This. The main issues were not about the console version, but rather the PC version which has been getting the most heat from gamers. Everyone knew the PC version blows the console versions away no matter what. Carmack has already stated that consoles held him back from making the game what it could've been exclusive to PC. He a lot of like other PC devs earlier on in the gen had the same problems with the PS3 not truly understanding how the PS3's architecture works. Everyone knows games that aren't made specifically for the PS3's architecture will not come out as good as it should on a multiplatform level. This is why exclusives couldn't be more imperitive for Sony, because they need to show the world exactly how powerful their console is compared to the Xbox 360 which is majorly praised for most powerful games being ported from PC. Sony cannot say the same. The exclusives show off the consoles power and that is that. Carmack should've known that from the very beginning after large criticisms from PC devs surfaced. People will continue to enjoy Rage whether its on the PS3 or 360. The game had fun gameplay and the AI was awesome, but the storyline to me was weak and the only thing I see it winning this year is best PC game. I doubt that though being that the Witcher 2 came out.

That doesnt really make sense anymore. 

I bbelieve most consider Uncharted, Killzone  and GOW as the best of the best as far as exclusives go for PS3. I agree as I do wiith Gears Of War 3 they look amazing.

The truth thoug is you cannot put those engines in the same breath as ID Tech 5 or Frostbite 2.0.

And retrospectively even begin to compre them wit a straight face  against Rage or Battlefield 3. The reason is simple.

Rage runs at double the framerate. That means that double the frames are stored iin the 256mb Ram the PS3 has available for te GPU. Its using double the memory that any exclusive PS3 or 360 game is using other than  Forza 4 and partially GT5 & GOW3 ( GOW3 running at 45 FpS and T5 as low as 48FPS ).

so even when Sony's first party devs have attempted to run games at 60fps they have had games with detail flaws and drops in framerate throught the game or in GOW3's case a very linear small gameplay environment game. 

The fact that ID have made the game look beautiful on PS3 and keep a higher framerate than either first party attempt from Sony all while doing this in a much much much larger gameplay environment proves this whole First party BS is smoke and mirrors now.

Uncharted looks great. But again has small gameplay areas and semi cutscene areas. Hell the devs are quite smart with UC. Take these sand clips being thrown around here on VGC. What are they 3 second GIFs?

Take a look at the actual gameplay segment and you soon realise its an intro to a level. Where when Drake gets over that brow the sand doesnt move like that under his feet anymore and actually doesnt move  at all. He enters te city via a breaking roof and the play area is very small. Clever choices. Because the real meat of the gameplay doesnt have these effects when the game cant handle it. And its all only 30 FPS. Using half of the memory for Frames that Rage does.

After playing FM4 it actually shows up GT5 in terms of engine and so called PS3  power. Admitedlly we need to wait for Digital Foundry for sure, but I'm betting FM4 doesnt dip to  48 FPS like GT5. Both GT5 and Forza 4 aim for 60 FPS, wilst trying to maintain videlity  in visuals. Much bigger test and impessive than a god looking 30 fps Gears 3 or UC3. Technically 60FPS is ALOT harder on the consoles due to the RAM. Because your asking to use double  the amount before youve even added any Graphics. 

I think some of you need to understand just what the difference is between what ID,Turn 10 and Polyphony have tried to do  and what Epic, Naughty Dog and the like attempt to do. IF you asked me what had better textures Gears 3 or Rage, Id say Gears  3. IF you asked me what was more impressive to play its age easily. 60FPS looks better not just plays better. It helps the visuals to.

"256mb Ram the PS3 has available for te GPU."

the ps3 has 512 RAM

"Uncharted looks great. But again has small gameplay areas and semi cutscene areas"

if you ask me it sounds like you never played uncharted... sure uncharted isn't open world but that doesn't mean that what you said is correct either, you used this as an example 

"He enters te city via a breaking roof and the play area is very small."

what you fail to mention is that prior to that he's wandering around in a desert or in other words a wide open area... of course we have no idea just how open it is but until then i wouldn't make claims like yours

"but I'm betting FM4 doesnt dip to  48 FPS like GT5"

it shouldn't as gt5 has more things going on regardless such as dynamic weather and day-night transitions

the funny thing is that regardless of all the technical mumbo jumbo rage imo still doesn't look that good and it seems that several people agree

I'm not here to get nasty about this.

But the fact you say to me the PS3 has 512mb and dont realise what te hell I'm refering to says theres no point in me discussing it with you.

Thats not meant horribly. But there really is no point if you answered that piece with that.

To see if you get my point I'll say I am fully aware of PS3 having 512mb. Yet everything I said concerning the Ram in PS3 was spot on. It has Dedicated Ram. If I have to explain it to you, you just wont get it right now.

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Rainbird said:

Not with the way RAGE works. I gave a short explanation in my last post to you, I'll gladly expand on it if you want to know more.

Thats perfectly fine. let me know more, but the real issue of backlash is coming from the PC gamers, not the console gamers. Carmack is getting backhanded by all of them for not making the game up to par and now Carmack has stated that the consoles don't run with not even 1/10 of a PC's power. He's blaming the PS3 for his troubles when the PS3 owners are not the ones who are complaining. He's also stated that PC is no longer the lead platform and games are made in mind where the larger paying audience is. This is fine....but its not like they wont rip his game for fun out of spite.

And I agree that id screwed up on the PC version, and they really should have given it some more attention. Not because they need to use the PC better, but because they need to let the players have the freedom to utilize their systems the way they want. Not to mention having everything work.

What makes RAGE special compared to every other game is how it uses textures. id calls it virtualized texturing, where everything in the world is hand built, and you don't have textures that are used twice. Basically, id have created these massive textures (the technique is also called mega textures), where they have parts of these textures loaded in as needed. This means they can have a bunch of detail in the world with less RAM usage than what is usually required.

However, consoles are still very limited in RAM (PS3 slightly more so than the 360), so a lot of these texture bits have to be loaded in from the harddrive or the game disc very often (that's what Carmack means by IO. IO is input/output and refers to loading something into the RAM from some media like an optical disc). Loading from an optical disc is really slow though, and while loading from a harddrive is faster, it's still quite slow relative to the rest of the system.

Because the blu-ray drive in the PS3 is even slower than the 360's DVD drive, RAGE has to put 8 GB of data on the harddrive in order to keep down the pop-in to a tolerable level. The 360 without a harddrive install will run about the same as the PS3 version (in terms of pop-in), but because the 360 allows all the data to be installed to harddrive, the pop-in is notably reduced when you do.

That's what Carmack is referring to. The PS3 is slower to load things in, and it has less available RAM to utilize.

I agree that the PS3 is slower to load for sure. The PS3 has been having that problem with numerous multiplats, but on Rage its by about ten seconds give or take. I just watched Lens of Truth and it runs at a more solid 60 frames per second compared to the 360 counterpart and but gives up around .4 in screen tearing. As usual the 360 had the better lighting and textures where as the PS3 was better with shadows.  There wasnt enough issues for anyone to majorly bitch on consoles though. I just want to play the game. As I said..the true marvels for the PS3 are in their exclusives. Think Sony fixed the processing problems with the PS3 through the Vita. It's also the reason why the Vita can cross game chat just like the 360 now. I believe Sony stated its not possible on the PS3 right now. 

selnor said:
o_O.Q said:
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pezus said:

This. The main issues were not about the console version, but rather the PC version which has been getting the most heat from gamers. Everyone knew the PC version blows the console versions away no matter what. Carmack has already stated that consoles held him back from making the game what it could've been exclusive to PC. He a lot of like other PC devs earlier on in the gen had the same problems with the PS3 not truly understanding how the PS3's architecture works. Everyone knows games that aren't made specifically for the PS3's architecture will not come out as good as it should on a multiplatform level. This is why exclusives couldn't be more imperitive for Sony, because they need to show the world exactly how powerful their console is compared to the Xbox 360 which is majorly praised for most powerful games being ported from PC. Sony cannot say the same. The exclusives show off the consoles power and that is that. Carmack should've known that from the very beginning after large criticisms from PC devs surfaced. People will continue to enjoy Rage whether its on the PS3 or 360. The game had fun gameplay and the AI was awesome, but the storyline to me was weak and the only thing I see it winning this year is best PC game. I doubt that though being that the Witcher 2 came out.

I bbelieve most consider Uncharted, Killzone  and GOW as the best of the best as far as exclusives go for PS3. I agree as I do wiith Gears Of War 3 they look amazing.

The truth thoug is you cannot put those engines in the same breath as ID Tech 5 or Frostbite 2.0.

And retrospectively even begin to compre them wit a straight face  against Rage or Battlefield 3. The reason is simple.

Rage runs at double the framerate. That means that double the frames are stored iin the 256mb Ram the PS3 has available for te GPU. Its using double the memory that any exclusive PS3 or 360 game is using other than  Forza 4 and partially GT5 & GOW3 ( GOW3 running at 45 FpS and T5 as low as 48FPS ).

so even when Sony's first party devs have attempted to run games at 60fps they have had games with detail flaws and drops in framerate throught the game or in GOW3's case a very linear small gameplay environment game. 

The fact that ID have made the game look beautiful on PS3 and keep a higher framerate than either first party attempt from Sony all while doing this in a much much much larger gameplay environment proves this whole First party BS is smoke and mirrors now.

Uncharted looks great. But again has small gameplay areas and semi cutscene areas. Hell the devs are quite smart with UC. Take these sand clips being thrown around here on VGC. What are they 3 second GIFs?

Take a look at the actual gameplay segment and you soon realise its an intro to a level. Where when Drake gets over that brow the sand doesnt move like that under his feet anymore and actually doesnt move  at all. He enters te city via a breaking roof and the play area is very small. Clever choices. Because the real meat of the gameplay doesnt have these effects when the game cant handle it. And its all only 30 FPS. Using half of the memory for Frames that Rage does.

After playing FM4 it actually shows up GT5 in terms of engine and so called PS3  power. Admitedlly we need to wait for Digital Foundry for sure, but I'm betting FM4 doesnt dip to  48 FPS like GT5. Both GT5 and Forza 4 aim for 60 FPS, wilst trying to maintain videlity  in visuals. Much bigger test and impessive than a god looking 30 fps Gears 3 or UC3. Technically 60FPS is ALOT harder on the consoles due to the RAM. Because your asking to use double  the amount before youve even added any Graphics. 

I think some of you need to understand just what the difference is between what ID,Turn 10 and Polyphony have tried to do  and what Epic, Naughty Dog and the like attempt to do. IF you asked me what had better textures Gears 3 or Rage, Id say Gears  3. IF you asked me what was more impressive to play its age easily. 60FPS looks better not just plays better. It helps the visuals to.

the ps3 has 512 RAM

"Uncharted looks great. But again has small gameplay areas and semi cutscene areas"

if you ask me it sounds like you never played uncharted... sure uncharted isn't open world but that doesn't mean that what you said is correct either, you used this as an example 

what you fail to mention is that prior to that he's wandering around in a desert or in other words a wide open area... of course we have no idea just how open it is but until then i wouldn't make claims like yours

it shouldn't as gt5 has more things going on regardless such as dynamic weather and day-night transitions

the funny thing is that regardless of all the technical mumbo jumbo rage imo still doesn't look that good and it seems that several people agree

But the fact you say to me the PS3 has 512mb and dont realise what te hell I'm refering to says theres no point in me discussing it with you.

Thats not meant horribly. But there really is no point if you answered that piece with that.

To see if you get my point I'll say I am fully aware of PS3 having 512mb. Yet everything I said concerning the Ram in PS3 was spot on. It has Dedicated Ram. If I have to explain it to you, you just wont get it right now.

"I'm not here to get nasty about this."

i'm not either

"It has Dedicated Ram"

i know but does that mean that the GPU can't access the other RAM? "available for te GPU.''

o_O.Q said:

i'm not either

"It has Dedicated Ram"

i know but does that mean that the GPU can't access the other RAM? "available for te GPU.''

The GPU can access the entire memory, but it doesn't mean that it's practical in a performance way.

John Carmack is a respected person within the game developer Branche but he has been all but professional lately. This tweet is a great example.

John I won't critisize you for Rage wich is an amazing game when you have a great gaming PC, but I don't have one of those and Rage on consoles seems terrible (or overrated to what people thought it would be) and therefor I will not be buying it. If your game is to big and heavy for consoles then you can not blame the consoles... you knew their specs and their possibilities before you started developing and Fallout 3 did an amazing job.

The consoles were to weak... but you could have known this in advance and supplied us with a mediocre game.

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
selnor said:
o_O.Q said:
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pezus said:

the ps3 has 512 RAM

i'm not either

"It has Dedicated Ram"

Spot on.

The frames are all stored in the Ram to be diplayed.

They HAVE to b displayed on the GPU side at all times. Only the GPU can display the picture. In Rages case it has to store double the amount of frames tat gamess like Uncharted use. So it has to use double the memory before you have even added any effects, textures etcc etc to the GPU memory. The CPU can help out and process some textures etc ( Get it ready to be displayed ) but ultimately it has to be displayed by the GPU. The CPU CANNOT display te image. 

Hence why 60 FPS is much much harder to do. And memory intesive.

The 360 has unified memory.Meaning 1 block of 512mb. Which can be shared out in any amount  at anytime. For example CPU 152, GPU, 360.

Or CPU 300, GPU 212. 

And this can be changed in te 360 anytime. Literally wherever it needs it. Wich is why it holds a higher res in Rage more often and has less Screen Tear as well as better framerate overtime. The poppin on PS3 is a different issue.

If te game was 30 FPS the game would have higer textures etc etc, but lok and feel slow as hell having a detriment on the visuals and feel as a whole.

Kynes said:
o_O.Q said:

i'm not either

"It has Dedicated Ram"

The GPU can access the entire memory, but it doesn't mean that it's practical in a performance way.

true, i was just demonstrating to him that it was incorrect for him to say 

"256mb Ram the PS3 has available for te GPU."...

i wonder why sony split the RAM in the first place instead of using one type like the 360

o_O.Q said:
selnor said:
o_O.Q said:
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pezus said:

the ps3 has 512 RAM

i'm not either

"It has Dedicated Ram"

Spot on.

The frames are all stored in the Ram to be diplayed.

They HAVE to b displayed on the GPU side at all times. Only the GPU can display the picture. In Rages case it has to store double the amount of frames tat gamess like Uncharted use. So it has to use double the memory before you have even added any effects, textures etcc etc to the GPU memory. The CPU can help out and process some textures etc ( Get it ready to be displayed ) but ultimately it has to be displayed by the GPU. The CPU CANNOT display te image. 

Hence why 60 FPS is much much harder to do. And memory intesive.

The 360 has unified memory.Meaning 1 block of 512mb. Which can be shared out in any amount  at anytime. For example CPU 152, GPU, 360.

Or CPU 300, GPU 212. 

And this can be changed in te 360 anytime. Literally wherever it needs it. Wich is why it holds a higher res in Rage more often and has less Screen Tear as well as better framerate overtime. The poppin on PS3 is a different issue.

If te game was 30 FPS the game would have higer textures etc etc, but lok and feel slow as hell having a detriment on the visuals and feel as a whole.

*looks at Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Killzone 3, Uncharted 3....*
*is confused*

No installing half the game, no pop-in, no screen tear, locked 30 fps (barring GoW which is around 45fps)

it seems as if Carmac isnt the tech wizard/genius (not because of this statement) as he once was. this isnt the 90's anymore, and he hasnt seemed to make a genre defining or graphical boundary pushing game since like 10 years ago.
it seems many developers have surpassed him

gamelover2000 said:
John Carmack is a respected person within the game developer Branche but he has been all but professional lately. This tweet is a great example.

John I won't critisize you for Rage wich is an amazing game when you have a great gaming PC, but I don't have one of those and Rage on consoles seems terrible (or overrated to what people thought it would be) and therefor I will not be buying it. If your game is to big and heavy for consoles then you can not blame the consoles... you knew their specs and their possibilities before you started developing and Fallout 3 did an amazing job.

The consoles were to weak... but you could have known this in advance and supplied us with a mediocre game.