By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft sued for 5 mil. due to xbl problems.

The negative reaction to this lawsuit is beyond hilarious. Whatever these guys motivations might be, they are doing the right thing, and as consumers and citizens and you should support them. Instead of being haters, you could try joining the class-action lawsuit and get in on the potential winnings, or perhaps file a class-action suit in your own jurisdiction instead. These guys have set a positive precedent so your own chances of filing a similar case are increased thanks to them. You won't get any brownie points from M$ for sticking up for them, but on the other hand you might get something out of joining the suit, even if it is a measly $5 coupon.

1) The EULA says they will not be responsible for damages. Doesn't mean anything. EULA's do not have the weight of law. In some jurisdictions, cetain terms of EULA's can be downright ignored or ruled illegal. In fact, most EULA's say this in fine print at the bottom.. "your rights may vary from state to state" or something along those lines.

2) Trial lawyers, scum of the earth! Those guys are just opportunists! Theres most definitely a lot of truth to that, but in the big picture it doesnt matter. Money motivates people, it's just a fact of life. There's a good reason why the system is set up this way. Punitive monetary damages are just about the only recourse consumers have towards mega-corporations who have wronged them in some way (Denial/failure of a fully paid sevice is wrong in most people's eyes, exept for gamers apparently). Money is the language these guys speak, and you have to speak up for yourself and others. That means hitting them where it hurts, in the wallet.

3) Layers take all the money, the plaintiffs get crumbs. Also true most of the time, but still is not the important issue. The important thing is that when a company is found guilty, they lose lots of money. They are penalized as they should be. It is up to the plaintiffs to find good lawyers who will give them a larger chunk of the winnings, or cover their legal costs, etc. Some lawyers will make sure all costs are covered until victory is declared, and eat the costs if the case is lost. It's tough to find a lawyer to your liking, but don't lose sight of the big picture.

4) Lawsuits like this make prices higher for me! Blame the company who was being stupid and got themselves sued, instead of blaming consumers for excersising their rights. Punitive damages or not, a company always makes a conscious calculated decision to raise prices, and the vast majority of the time this has mostly to do with keeping a specific profit margin on a specific product or service. Always blame the company for setting unsatisfactory prices. Vote with your wallet and boycott them or switch to a competitor with more favorable pricing.

5) They should just cancel their service if they don't like it, instead of suing. Actually, they should do both. These are not mutually exclusive actions, and are only partially relevant anyway. Maybe they do like the service and want to keep it, but it doesn't change the fact that they didn't get the service they paid for.

6) Americans and their lawsuits, What a joke! Actually the joke is on you if you don't have the opportuinity to stick up for yourself. Our system exists because we willed it so, and we will continue to use it in our favor. You have a hard time getting back at companies who fail to provide services you paid for, or you simply refuse to do so? Sucks to be you. America isn't perfect, but it's the best. That's why millions of people are still trying to get in.

7) Those guys need to get a life! Maybe. Still, they are doing the right thing. Either support them or get out of the way, but please don't bash them. You aren't doing anyone any favors.

And, last but not least, before anyone brings up the McDonald's coffee lawsuit, please learn the facts of the case before embarassing yourself. http://www.vanosteen.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm

Around the Network

@ Quaid

An awfully long post just to make yourself look foolish.

What is this? Soon we will see people sue the president for drinking a bottle of water..

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

rocketpig said:
OnlyIsrael said:

Comedy, pure comedy. And if you're trying to say lets not start the whole MS the evil empire bit because Sony is just as guilty of screwing end users over, I agree completely

My point is that if you can't find a reason to dislike every major corporation in the world, you're not looking very hard.

I pick a product I like and I buy it. If it fails to meet my expectations, I do not buy another one. It's that simple. Brand names suck and fanboys suck even more.

That's probably one of the most down to earth posts I have seen on this site. Kudos...

Humm that 5 million lawsuit will never win that is if you look at xbox and xbox360's term of use agreement that each user must accept in order to use microsoft's xbox live service. It is possible that those users could get an amount but not of damages exceeding the amount they paid for in xbox live fees. You can read more about term of use for xbox live at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/legal/

6.6 Refund Policies. Except as stated otherwise, or as otherwise provided by applicable law, all charges are non-refundable. If you signed up for an annual Service and paid the annual fee with your Payment Method, we may provide you a full refund of the annual fee if you cancel within the first 60 days of your Service. Additional information about refunds is available at http://www.xbox.com/live/accounts/default.htm

17. LIABILITY LIMITATION; YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY
You can recover from the Microsoft Parties only direct damages up to an amount equal to your Service fee for one month. You cannot recover any other damages, including consequential, lost profits, special, indirect or incidental damages.
This limitation applies to:
-any matter related to the Service,
-any matter related to content (including code) on third party Internet sites, third party programs or third party conduct,
-any matter related to viruses or other disabling features that affect your access to or use of the Service,
-any matter related to incompatibility between the Service and other services, software and hardware,
-any matter related to delays or failures you may have in initiating, conducting or completing any transmissions or transactions in connection with the Service in an accurate or timely manner, and
-claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, guarantee or condition, strict liability, negligence, or other tort to the extent permitted by applicable law.
It also applies even if:
-this remedy does not fully compensate you for any losses, or fails of its essential purpose; or
-Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of damages.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. They also may not apply to you because your province or country may not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, consequential or other damages.

Around the Network
halil23 said:
rocketpig said:
OnlyIsrael said:

Comedy, pure comedy. And if you're trying to say lets not start the whole MS the evil empire bit because Sony is just as guilty of screwing end users over, I agree completely

My point is that if you can't find a reason to dislike every major corporation in the world, you're not looking very hard.

I pick a product I like and I buy it. If it fails to meet my expectations, I do not buy another one. It's that simple. Brand names suck and fanboys suck even more.

Just a question, have you got a xbox 360? If you do, then I don't see your point :P

Ah, nice attempt to make another cheapshot at the expense of the 360 and its RRoD problem.

The 360 hasn't failed to meet my expectations in any way, shape, or form. I knew they were unreliable when I purchased mine over a year ago and not only is it still running strong, but it's also provided thousands of hours of entertainment in the meantime and MS stepped to the plate with a 3 year warranty. As long as they're admitting to their mistakes, I'll give them a bit of leeway on the issue.

Reliability doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with "meeting my expectations". They can be two entirely separate things.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

crumas2 said:

I don't like it, and I certainly don't like the MS abuse of monopoly power to try and gain new monopolies (this is one of the reasons I own a Mac instead of a Windows machine), but I try not to demonize companies as if they're evil.

Well, demonizing MS would be fanatical, but as much as I can, I avoid their products if I find suitable substitutes and their relentless craving for world domination makes me want to search substitutes more. 

crumas2 said:

The 3 guys who brought suit need to get lives. If they can't deal with an Xbox Live outage, then they need to get out more often.

Perhaps they are so ugly city council forbids them getting out to preserve the landscape

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Thats ridiculous!

Carpe Diem!

Quaid said:

The negative reaction to this lawsuit is beyond hilarious. Whatever these guys motivations might be, they are doing the right thing, and as consumers and citizens and you should support them. Instead of being haters, you could try joining the class-action lawsuit and get in on the potential winnings, or perhaps file a class-action suit in your own jurisdiction instead. These guys have set a positive precedent so your own chances of filing a similar case are increased thanks to them. You won't get any brownie points from M$ for sticking up for them, but on the other hand you might get something out of joining the suit, even if it is a measly $5 coupon.

1) The EULA says they will not be responsible for damages. Doesn't mean anything. EULA's do not have the weight of law. In some jurisdictions, cetain terms of EULA's can be downright ignored or ruled illegal. In fact, most EULA's say this in fine print at the bottom.. "your rights may vary from state to state" or something along those lines.

2) Trial lawyers, scum of the earth! Those guys are just opportunists! Theres most definitely a lot of truth to that, but in the big picture it doesnt matter. Money motivates people, it's just a fact of life. There's a good reason why the system is set up this way. Punitive monetary damages are just about the only recourse consumers have towards mega-corporations who have wronged them in some way (Denial/failure of a fully paid sevice is wrong in most people's eyes, exept for gamers apparently). Money is the language these guys speak, and you have to speak up for yourself and others. That means hitting them where it hurts, in the wallet.

3) Layers take all the money, the plaintiffs get crumbs. Also true most of the time, but still is not the important issue. The important thing is that when a company is found guilty, they lose lots of money. They are penalized as they should be. It is up to the plaintiffs to find good lawyers who will give them a larger chunk of the winnings, or cover their legal costs, etc. Some lawyers will make sure all costs are covered until victory is declared, and eat the costs if the case is lost. It's tough to find a lawyer to your liking, but don't lose sight of the big picture.

4) Lawsuits like this make prices higher for me! Blame the company who was being stupid and got themselves sued, instead of blaming consumers for excersising their rights. Punitive damages or not, a company always makes a conscious calculated decision to raise prices, and the vast majority of the time this has mostly to do with keeping a specific profit margin on a specific product or service. Always blame the company for setting unsatisfactory prices. Vote with your wallet and boycott them or switch to a competitor with more favorable pricing.

5) They should just cancel their service if they don't like it, instead of suing. Actually, they should do both. These are not mutually exclusive actions, and are only partially relevant anyway. Maybe they do like the service and want to keep it, but it doesn't change the fact that they didn't get the service they paid for.

6) Americans and their lawsuits, What a joke! Actually the joke is on you if you don't have the opportuinity to stick up for yourself. Our system exists because we willed it so, and we will continue to use it in our favor. You have a hard time getting back at companies who fail to provide services you paid for, or you simply refuse to do so? Sucks to be you. America isn't perfect, but it's the best. That's why millions of people are still trying to get in.

7) Those guys need to get a life! Maybe. Still, they are doing the right thing. Either support them or get out of the way, but please don't bash them. You aren't doing anyone any favors.

And, last but not least, before anyone brings up the McDonald's coffee lawsuit, please learn the facts of the case before embarassing yourself. http://www.vanosteen.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm

People like you are part of the problem. A multimillion lawsuit for something as minor as this is madness.

Wow, who didnt see that coming? Like some people said, thats the problem with america, everyone sues themselves and can somehow end up raking in millions.