By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ditching DRM could reduce piracy, prices, inconvenience

MrBubbles said:
what was that game where the devs said this and then released it and it had a really large number of pirated copies....world of goo?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/11/acrying-shame-world-of-goo-piracy-rate-near-90.ars

edit: even better ... http://2dboy.com/2008/11/13/90/

basically just goes to show you want we all already knew ... 9 out of 10 people are total assholes.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
It's one of those noble ideas that sounds like it should work...but it doesn't.

There have been a good number of games that released without DRM or released for free and only asked for a donation yet they still showed up in record numbers on torrent sites.

People are assholes and they don't want to pay for things. DRM is something that's needed so rather than trash it, it would be best if we could find one that isn't so obtrusive (which is an extremely difficult problem).

I still don't get why people say DRM is needed because obviously it doesn't work. It only makes me want to pirate. Well, technically DRM doesn't make me want to pirate, it only makes me not want to buy the game. However, DRM is funny in the sense that I don't feel bad when I pirate a game that has DRM. I would like buying the game but I won't pay for something with DRM in it. I don't know why but if you really need a reason, let's just say that I don't want to pay to get a worse product than I would if I pirated.

Point is, the only DRM systems that work are ones that are so restrictive (always online, etc.) that they really do affect sales negatively. Otherwise DRM is just an annoyance for honest customers.

Just another study that supports the overall academic theme.

It's not really new information to most people.... including most of the people pushing for stricter DRM and laws.

The thing that stalls science and research the most is self motivated "common sense".

DRM doesn't make it any harder to pirate a game. You just type it into a torrent, and you can pirate it. Done.

There is no difference to the person who's pirating it.  Why woud if effect them?  They're just downloading something some super nerds are uploading online anyway, half the time ahead of release.

twesterm said:
It's one of those noble ideas that sounds like it should work...but it doesn't.

There have been a good number of games that released without DRM or released for free and only asked for a donation yet they still showed up in record numbers on torrent sites.

People are assholes and they don't want to pay for things. DRM is something that's needed so rather than trash it, it would be best if we could find one that isn't so obtrusive (which is an extremely difficult problem).

If it obviously doesn't work then why inconvenience the people willing to pay?

There is no way to make it non obtrusive.  Publishers simply decide to charge for the shittier, more inconvenient experience.  No wonder so many people are assholes.  They shouldn't be suprised when consumers treat them the way they are treated.

spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
Lets implement it for a few months and see what happens!

yea briliant idea. lets sit back and watch every software company fold all at one time.

Alright! I am glad we have agreed on a plan. Hey! Wait a second...

my bets Sony and MS fold first and second and ninty folds last.
i also bets on the dog?

I understand nothing of what you said.

its an old saying. i heard it in alot of tv shows.

Lol! What shows are you watching!

i love house but gamertv is a whole lot better lol. seriously those are the only 2 i watch. some times i watch raw and smackdown and gttv.

back when i was younger i watched alot of different shows. i still here the theme song to hey dud in my head lol.

i didn't say it right anyway. it was suppose to go like this. 

Sony may fold first followed by MS followed by Nintendo.
but my bets on the dog?

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
Lets implement it for a few months and see what happens!

yea briliant idea. lets sit back and watch every software company fold all at one time.

Alright! I am glad we have agreed on a plan. Hey! Wait a second...

my bets Sony and MS fold first and second and ninty folds last.
i also bets on the dog?

I understand nothing of what you said.

its an old saying. i heard it in alot of tv shows.

Lol! What shows are you watching!

i love house but gamertv is a whole lot better lol. seriously those are the only 2 i watch. some times i watch raw and smackdown and gttv.

back when i was younger i watched alot of different shows. i still here the theme song to hey dud in my head lol.

i didn't say it right anyway. it was suppose to go like this. 

Sony may fold first followed by MS followed by Nintendo.
but my bets on the dog?

I dont even know what the topic here is anymore so we should probably let it get back on topic after this. Hey Dude was great! I am going to add it to my 80's cartoon thread, even though it is not a cartoon! Thanks!

Now back to the thread!

topic! wht topic? i thought DRM was some typ of food?