By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Warner Bros. Announces Exclusive Suport of Blue Ray.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Profcrab said:
Bodhesatva said:
finalsquall said:
rocketpig said:
finalsquall said:
Victoresparza2003 said:
Do you guys think that Sony offered any type of incentive (ca$h) to WB for their switch like MS did. Or do you think it was based purely on the fact that BD sales are so much greater than HD-DVD's.

No that is the American way. For Sony it's about building a trusting partnership.

*rolls eyes*

Yeah, Sony never moneyhats anything.

You can keep rolling your eyes... MS and Toshiba are the ones paying studio's off. If Sony lets games like gta4 slip due to not paying; why would the movie side of Sony be different? I think Sony tries to create partnerships and in turn both parties benefits - I'll scratch your back you scratch mine... Where as Toshiba and MS have decided to buy exclusivity; we all know how MS does its work for games.

One thing Sony has done is help Square recover from their loses with FF SW movie. Bad Sony.

You pretty much have two choices here: you can admit to the completely rational and logical explanation that Sony DOES moneyhat on occassion, or you can try to explain why Microsoft manages to moneyhat and and make money at the same time, while Sony apparently isn't moneyhatting, but they're bleeding billions of dollars in the gaming division.

So Sony either is moneyhatting to maintain Blu Ray/Playstation marketshare, or they're grossly financially incompetent. Your choice.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. I'm losing it over here. Classic post and very true.

Sony doesn't "buy exclusives". Yet the fanboys here actually believe them.

And so those fanboys have less excuse to lie that I'm singling them out, Microsoft fanboys tried to excuse the RRoDs until the evidence mounted up.

As far as games go, Sony does "buy" exclusives, but in a very roudabout way. Instead of just paying for an exclusivity contract, they either buy the studio or publish their game, making them 2nd party. They initially made Geurilla Games and Evolution Studios 2nd party, then eventually bought both.  Ninja Theory and Media Molecule are also recent 2nd part additions, and Quantic Dream with Heavy Rain as well.

Around the Network

I wonder, now that the fear of buying a dead format has been removed, will sales of the ps3 rise? I know Blu-Ray sales in general will, with HD DVD guys going neutral and fence sitters going Blu, but I wonder how it will impact the ps3 specifically, now that standalone players are below $300.

Funding games and publishing them is very different than moneyhating studios for support of their format.

Saiyar said:
I just gets worse for HD-DVD. Penton-man, the insider who called the WB deal two weeks ago, has also hinted that Universal will be going neutral.

Penton-man has elaborated further on this issue. He has said that of the 3 remaining HD-DVD exclusive studios (Universal, Paramount, Weinstein) one is going to go Blu exclusive (probably Weinstein) and an other is going to go neutral (probably Universal). He hasn't given a time frame for this though.

I would love for some Universal films to be on Blu-Ray, Universal releases like 100 movies a year, they are one of the biggest studios out there.

Around the Network

1% of the market ? 99% for the DVD ?

Are u sure of this piece of news ?

I believe that if so few people bought a HD DVD/BR player it is because they were hesitating about the HD because of the 2 formats.

Now, things will get clearer and sales should improve

Time to Work !

LOL at all the grasping at straws by the sony haters.

Hddvd is screwd get over it Sony does not have to bribe studios for BR support, they took a huge risk in stuffing a BR drive in every PS3 and lucky for them it worked. All the other corps saw the PS affect on the format war and choose to side with BR.

Br in every PS3 cost Sony a hell of alot more then MS or Toshiba paying 150 mill for support.

Sony wins you lose, ha!

libellule said:
1% of the market ? 99% for the DVD ?

Are u sure of this piece of news ?

I believe that if so few people bought a HD DVD/BR player it is because they were hesitating about the HD because of the 2 formats.

Now, things will get clearer and sales should improve

You all can believe that's the reason all you want, even Warner can, but the fact is that you are STILL INGORING the reports of public indifference from not knowing about the formats. They can't be "confused" if they don't know.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Bodhesatva said:
finalsquall said:
rocketpig said:
finalsquall said:
Victoresparza2003 said:
Do you guys think that Sony offered any type of incentive (ca$h) to WB for their switch like MS did. Or do you think it was based purely on the fact that BD sales are so much greater than HD-DVD's.

No that is the American way. For Sony it's about building a trusting partnership.

*rolls eyes*

Yeah, Sony never moneyhats anything.

You can keep rolling your eyes... MS and Toshiba are the ones paying studio's off. If Sony lets games like gta4 slip due to not paying; why would the movie side of Sony be different? I think Sony tries to create partnerships and in turn both parties benefits - I'll scratch your back you scratch mine... Where as Toshiba and MS have decided to buy exclusivity; we all know how MS does its work for games.

One thing Sony has done is help Square recover from their loses with FF SW movie. Bad Sony.

You pretty much have two choices here: you can admit to the completely rational and logical explanation that Sony DOES moneyhat on occassion, or you can try to explain why Microsoft manages to moneyhat and and make money at the same time, while Sony apparently isn't moneyhatting, but they're bleeding billions of dollars in the gaming division.

So Sony either is moneyhatting to maintain Blu Ray/Playstation marketshare, or they're grossly financially incompetent. Your choice.

ROFLMFAO!!!! Yeah, cause M$ is making a ton of money with the 360. There only saving grace has been HALO. They are still losing money on hardware, and have already lost billions in repair costs due to there crappy console. Sony however is still outselling the 360 with the PS2 while making money on every one sold, and are making money on the PSP as well. In the mean time M$ is paying hundreds of millions to obtain timed exclusives and temporary HD-DVD backers. Yup, they are brilliant for sure.

Saiyar said:
Saiyar said:
I just gets worse for HD-DVD. Penton-man, the insider who called the WB deal two weeks ago, has also hinted that Universal will be going neutral.

Penton-man has elaborated further on this issue. He has said that of the 3 remaining HD-DVD exclusive studios (Universal, Paramount, Weinstein) one is going to go Blu exclusive (probably Weinstein) and an other is going to go neutral (probably Universal). He hasn't given a time frame for this though.

Lulz, they've coined a new phrase over there after the hairdresser comments - "Pentonspeak"

It's so hard to figure whether what he says is a riddle or if it should be taken at face value.  I usually just look to see whether the post includes colored words (red or blu), but that one did not.