By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - will wii can have call ofduty4 graphics in the end of its lifetime or more?

Smidlee said:
Not only was COD4 graphics good but it was in DD5.1! I wouldn't want to play this game without DD5.1 as it clearly added to the experience.

Most people don't even have a 5.1 set attached to their TV.

Around the Network
fazz said:
Sorry, but if anyone says "this game graphics look good", then by default it can't be done by the Wii. Simple logic.

On a more serious note, I'm with Yojimbo on this one. If even the PS2, that lacked many graphical technologies and horsepower, had games comparable to GC and XB, then the Wii, that (probably) only lacks the horsepower, should be able to have games comparable to PS3 and 360. The only thing is that maybe Nintendo will never unlock the HD resolutions.

This fails right here: by your definition, absolutely no Wii game has ever looked good?  Of course, most of the cash-ins have been crap, but come on!  Mario Galaxy doesn't look good?  Medal of Honour doesn't look good?  The Rayman games don't look good?  SSX doesn't look good?  Zack and Wiki doesn't look good?  Umbrella Chronicles and RE4 don't look good?

No one is implying that Wii will ever be able to pull off more realistic graphics than PS360.  They are saying that, MAYBE, by the VERY END OF ITS' LIFE, some of the most talented developers, putting lots of time into optimization, might be able to make it do what some devs are doing right now on the PS360 without optimization.  Meanwhile, at that time the difference in PS360 graphics then and now will be like the difference between PS2 circa 2000 and PS2 circa God of War.

Chrizum said:
Smidlee said:
Not only was COD4 graphics good but it was in DD5.1! I wouldn't want to play this game without DD5.1 as it clearly added to the experience.

Most people don't even have a 5.1 set attached to their TV.

And that sad since this was on of the best sounding game in DD5.1 I've played.

Still as someone noted they already took a shortcut with PS3/Xbox360 by not having it in true HD (720p) so maybe with more short cuts it may be possible later (in 480p) to make games for Wii close to CoD4. 

MrPickles said:
Personally, I think that a 'graphics-wizard' company like Infinity Ward or Square were to really focus their efforts on optimization, it could be done in 3 or 4 years.

Why would they do that? CoD4 and AC sold 4,5 mln. and 4 mln. each. And these games are only around 6 week on the market. + We all know, that 3rd party games don`t sell very good on nintendo consoles.

IF you want graphics, get HD console. IF you want HD graphics and motion control, wait for Wii HD or till Sony/M$ will figure something.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
MrPickles said:
Personally, I think that a 'graphics-wizard' company like Infinity Ward or Square were to really focus their efforts on optimization, it could be done in 3 or 4 years.

Why would they do that? CoD4 and AC sold 4,5 mln. and 4 mln. each. And these games are only around 6 week on the market. + We all know, that 3rd party games don`t sell very good on nintendo consoles.

IF you want graphics, get HD console. IF you want HD graphics and motion control, wait for Wii HD or till Sony/M$ will figure something

OR, as a Wii owner, you could want graphics and be perfectly happy with Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy.

BTW, people need to cut out with "3rd parties don't sell on Nintendo systems" when the Wii has about 200% better 3rd party sales than PS3 has and probably ever will. 

Around the Network

Wii cant even achieve half life 2 graphics let alone cod4..

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

MrPickles said:
fazz said:
Sorry, but if anyone says "this game graphics look good", then by default it can't be done by the Wii. Simple logic.

On a more serious note...

This fails right here: by your definition, absolutely no Wii game has ever looked good? Of course, most of the cash-ins have been crap, but come on! Mario Galaxy doesn't look good? Medal of Honour doesn't look good? The Rayman games don't look good? SSX doesn't look good? Zack and Wiki doesn't look good? Umbrella Chronicles and RE4 don't look good?

I've seen that the sentiment around, even in Wii fans themselves, is that no Wii game can have good graphics. But obviously they can, from both the technological and artistic level. It's totally different that most third parties are cheap bastards and they port directly an engine from the PS2 era or that they don't even try to make a good looking game (I'm looking at you Konami)

"OR, as a Wii owner, you could want graphics and be perfectly happy with Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy."

Bingo which is why I doubt developers are going to waste too much time on improving Wii graphics so you probably won't see too much better graphics than your examples. Wii strong point is it's controller not it's hardware/GPU.

RolStoppable said:
MrPickles said:
fazz said:

On a more serious note, I'm with Yojimbo on this one. If even the PS2, that lacked many graphical technologies and horsepower, had games comparable to GC and XB, then the Wii, that (probably) only lacks the horsepower, should be able to have games comparable to PS3 and 360. The only thing is that maybe Nintendo will never unlock the HD resolutions.

This fails right here: by your definition, absolutely no Wii game has ever looked good? Of course, most of the cash-ins have been crap, but come on! Mario Galaxy doesn't look good? Medal of Honour doesn't look good? The Rayman games don't look good? SSX doesn't look good? Zack and Wiki doesn't look good? Umbrella Chronicles and RE4 don't look good?

No one is implying that Wii will ever be able to pull off more realistic graphics than PS360. They are saying that, MAYBE, by the VERY END OF ITS' LIFE, some of the most talented developers, putting lots of time into optimization, might be able to make it do what some devs are doing right now on the PS360 without optimization. Meanwhile, at that time the difference in PS360 graphics then and now will be like the difference between PS2 circa 2000 and PS2 circa God of War.

Sir, you might want to read the sentence in fazz's post right after the part you bolded. 

I did read the whole thing, she said that the Wii only lacks the horsepower to be as capable as the other two, which is perfectly reasonable.  But the first sentence is just incorrect.

"Sorry, but if anyone says "this game graphics look good", then by default it can't be done by the Wii. Simple logic."

I don't even understand why this was said, as it contradicts everything else she said.

EDIT: Sorry, Fazz, I was in the middle of typing this post when you posted your last one.  I see what you are saying now, and I agree with it.

EDIT 2: Fazz said:

"It's totally different that most third parties are cheap bastards and they port directly an engine from the PS2 era or that they don't even try to make a good looking game (I'm looking at you Midway)"

zackblue said:
Wii cant even achieve half life 2 graphics let alone cod4..

Half-life 2 was on the original xbox, which technically the Wii is just as powerful as, and in some ways more. So HL2 is definately possible.  How close it gets to CoD4 remains to be seen.