By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

JGarret said:
lestat, i FINALLY defeated the Bell Gargoyles after 5 attempts (fighting only one of them isn´t so bad, but two at the same time..things get hectic!)...had to farm for souls (at that good spot on the bridge with the red dragon) to buy a lot of titanite shards and apply them to my longsword, after that those gargoyles got much much easier to beat.

Anyway, now I´m not sure where I should go, any tips?

You should head out to Lower Undead Burg to continue the story, or you could farm a bit more from the trees and Stone soldiers in Darkroot Garden (and while you're at it, you can try and defeat the Moonlight Butterfly boss, it's one of the easiest boss fights in the game, plus you'll be able to get a Divine Ember which will allow you to forge Divine weapons).

To go to Lower Undead Burg, go back to the place, at the start of the bridge, where you meet Solaire of Astoria. On the right side door, which was locked the first time you passed through the area, you can now open it since you have the key. 

If you want to do the optional Darkroot Garden, continue to the doorway in front of the blacksmith and run through the enemy there (You can beat him, but he's very hard at such early stage and he can kill you outright even if you have a 100% physical reduction shield). When you enter the Darkroot Garden, follow the path until you hit a wall which has a door with a glowing symbol on the right. Hit the wall and you'll make it dissapear (it's an illusion). Behind it there's a much needed bonfire.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
JGarret said:
lestat, i FINALLY defeated the Bell Gargoyles after 5 attempts (fighting only one of them isn´t so bad, but two at the same time..things get hectic!)...had to farm for souls (at that good spot on the bridge with the red dragon) to buy a lot of titanite shards and apply them to my longsword, after that those gargoyles got much much easier to beat.

You should head out to Lower Undead Burg to continue the story, or you could farm a bit more from the trees and Stone soldiers in Darkroot Garden (and while you're at it, you can try and defeat the Moonlight Butterfly boss, it's one of the easiest boss fights in the game, plus you'll be able to get a Divine Ember which will allow you to forge Divine weapons).

To go to Lower Undead Burg, go back to the place, at the start of the bridge, where you meet Solaire of Astoria. On the right side door, which was locked the first time you passed through the area, you can now open it since you have the key. 

If you want to do the optional Darkroot Garden, continue to the doorway in front of the blacksmith and run through the enemy there (You can beat him, but he's very hard at such early stage and he can kill you outright even if you have a 100% physical reduction shield). When you enter the Darkroot Garden, follow the path until you hit a wall which has a door with a glowing symbol on the right. Hit the wall and you'll make it dissapear (it's an illusion). Behind it there's a much needed bonfire.

Thanks!...I think you just might know more about this game than the official guide itself haha.

About the first bolded part...the key you refer to is called "Basement Key", correct?

About the second bolded part...I already killed that thing XD...took me a while but I didn´t find him very hard.

JGarret said:
lestatdark said:
JGarret said:

Thanks!...I think you just might know more about this game than the official guide itself haha.

About the first bolded part...the key you refer to is called "Basement Key", correct?

About the second bolded part...I already killed that thing XD...took me a while but I didn´t find him very hard.

Yeah it's the basement key, the one you found in front of the large gate outside the church in the Parish. 

If you're a fast hitter then that guy is no trouble, as you can hit him and roll back before he can attack. If you're a slow-ish melee tanker like myself, either you have a very strong shield or you're gonna go down fast if you're not careful. Myself, I just find the fights against those guys tedious. Magic-users take those guys down in an instant.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

About that butterfly boss, I assume it´s far easier than the gargoyle bosses?

By the way, I´m now on Darkroot Garden, but I took a turn and entered 'Darkroot Basin'...should I avoid it for now?

Around the Network
JGarret said:
By the way, I´m now on Darkroot Garden, but I took a turn and entered 'Darkroot Basin'...should I avoid it for now?

Well, it's not that the Basin is hard. You've got a Black Knight with a Halberd at the bottom of the path, four crystal golems and then there's the Hydra. The Hydra itself is easy once you're at melee range, getting at melee range, that's the biggest issue. The Hydra will continously shoot jets of water towards your position (which have a little homing tracking and cause huge splash damage) so you can die easily before reaching it. 

It's best to avoid it for now, if you want to save yourself some grief. Just go down the other path until you hit the wall I told you. And yes, the Butterfly is much, much easier than the gargoyles, though the fight will take you some time if you're melee only.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
JGarret said:

Well, it's not that the Basin is hard. You've got a Black Knight with a Halberd at the bottom of the path, four crystal golems and then there's the Hydra. The Hydra itself is easy once you're at melee range, getting at melee range, that's the biggest issue. The Hydra will continously shoot jets of water towards your position (which have a little homing tracking and cause huge splash damage) so you can die easily before reaching it. 

It's best to avoid it for now, if you want to save yourself some grief. Just go down the other path until you hit the wall I told you. And yes, the Butterfly is much, much easier than the gargoyles, though the fight will take you some time if you're melee only.

You mean it´s indeed a wall, not a door, right?...because there´s a door with a glowing symbol, similar to the one you described, but I assume it can only be opened with that crest you buy from the blacksmith, correct?

lestatdark said:
blkfish92 said:
lestatdark said:
blkfish92 said:
lestatdark said:
blkfish92 said:
lestatdark said:
blkfish92 said:
lestatdark said:
Wagram said:
My god Iron Flesh was the difference maker in the Four Kings fight.

Doesn't it? You can tank those SOBs for the entire fight and have nothing but a scratch. Heck, in conjunction with full Havel's, I went through NG+ Four Kings using only two Flasks.

Bah! 4 kings is the only boss I truly have issues with my dex character >.>

Because for that fight you either stay out of range or have the ability to soak damage. Only with very precise dodges can you survive up close and personal without tanking and even then you'd have to take down the kings fast to avoid them ganging up on you.

Felt underleveled for that time too, because I really just got into ng++ and was  like well time to join dark wraiths lol. Paid for it too, but you definitely helped extensively, thus making my platinum more reachable! And the fact that I actually got a slab off one of the wraiths to the run to the 4 kings lol.

Pretty awesome getting a Slab!!

At what level did you start NG++? I farmed a bit on Anor Londo before I went to NG++, mainly because I need to boost my Faith from 11 to 45 to get into Warriors of Sunlight to get the plat.

Currently farming PVP on the forest...took down a SL 200 guy (i'm at SL 165) with nigh a scratch. 120K nifty souls.

I believe I started at at like 135, and about the sunlight covenant, can't you just go to the sunlight altar and pray to it to join? I don't think I helped enough people to meet the requirements, but I still was able to join. So, what's the deal with you? Have you tried going to the altar? It's the one where the red helkite lingers over btw.

That's odd. On NG+ when I went there, it said I didn't had the required faith. I'll try again.

Seriously? I got in on ng++ right from the get go practically. Very strange...

The pray option doesn't even appear to me  

I'll need to get to 45 Faith. How much did you have when you got it and how many players did you help as a white phantom (defeating the boss of the area the player summons you for is required).

My faith is 8 lol, that's why I'm thinking I must have helped quite a bit I suppose.

After having just fought The Four Kings....Pinwheel just made me want to laugh.

anyone got any tips on fighting the four kings?...just got raped....

I'm currently titanite farminng to upgrade my weapons/armor...got my flask to 20 uses...