By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

routsounmanman said:
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:
Not that much for its requirements, it's also slow and low range. I'll probably ditch it and stock up on Crystal Soul Lances, much more reliable. Overall, I think Sorceries have been nerfed quite hard in Dark Souls, I'll start a Strength build to compensate after gettin the Platinum trophy

Nerfed? I've been one-shotted in PVP by a mage using Crystal Soul Spear who did over 1000 damage to my character >_>. And I have 300 magic defense.

I mean PvE and usability wise, sorry. Higher cast times, and bosses that pidgeonhole you in tight spots is frustrating. Not to mention you cannot cutoff tails with magic >_>

Ahh yes. But cutting tails is just a matter of position of attack, not how much melee damage you do. As long as you hit the right spot, you'll cut the tail. 

I might see two or three bosses that can be frustrating for magic users, but there are some spells (like Homing Crystal Mass) that paired with the Dragoncrest ring, Tin Crystallization Catalyst and hight Int are devastating at very long range and even on NG+. 

Heck, even my measly 25 Int character with Homing Crystal Soulmass, in NG+, can do almost 250 per cast, without any of the aformentioned items.

Precicely my point. You can potentially deal a shitton of damage, I did 800s to Seath even without Tin Crystallization Catalyst and Dragoncrest Ring (had Havel's Ring and Ring of Fervor equipped instead). But the game pushes you hard into playing melee a lot of times, and into tight spots. Imagine having 4-5 bosses like Moonlight Butterfly.

Also, equipping the Dragoncrest Ring and Tin Crystallization Catalyst means you move slowly or with no armor, and that you have all your spells numbers cut in half (when I first equipped TCC i didn't know about this effect, until I wanted to cast Light a second time in the Tomb of Giants >_>)

Well, you could use Logan's Catalyst if you don't want to cut castings in half, or pair up the TCC with Dusk Crown Ring, giving you the same number of castings with less HP (less HP doesn't actually matters in NG+ since almost anything one shots you from mid-game forward).

4 Bosses like Moonlight would be too much, even for a melee >_>.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:
Not that much for its requirements, it's also slow and low range. I'll probably ditch it and stock up on Crystal Soul Lances, much more reliable. Overall, I think Sorceries have been nerfed quite hard in Dark Souls, I'll start a Strength build to compensate after gettin the Platinum trophy

Nerfed? I've been one-shotted in PVP by a mage using Crystal Soul Spear who did over 1000 damage to my character >_>. And I have 300 magic defense.

I mean PvE and usability wise, sorry. Higher cast times, and bosses that pidgeonhole you in tight spots is frustrating. Not to mention you cannot cutoff tails with magic >_>

Ahh yes. But cutting tails is just a matter of position of attack, not how much melee damage you do. As long as you hit the right spot, you'll cut the tail. 

I might see two or three bosses that can be frustrating for magic users, but there are some spells (like Homing Crystal Mass) that paired with the Dragoncrest ring, Tin Crystallization Catalyst and hight Int are devastating at very long range and even on NG+. 

Heck, even my measly 25 Int character with Homing Crystal Soulmass, in NG+, can do almost 250 per cast, without any of the aformentioned items.

Precicely my point. You can potentially deal a shitton of damage, I did 800s to Seath even without Tin Crystallization Catalyst and Dragoncrest Ring (had Havel's Ring and Ring of Fervor equipped instead). But the game pushes you hard into playing melee a lot of times, and into tight spots. Imagine having 4-5 bosses like Moonlight Butterfly.

Also, equipping the Dragoncrest Ring and Tin Crystallization Catalyst means you move slowly or with no armor, and that you have all your spells numbers cut in half (when I first equipped TCC i didn't know about this effect, until I wanted to cast Light a second time in the Tomb of Giants >_>)

Well, you could use Logan's Catalyst if you don't want to cut castings in half, or pair up the TCC with Dusk Crown Ring, giving you the same number of castings with less HP (less HP doesn't actually matters in NG+ since almost anything one shots you from mid-game forward).

4 Bosses like Moonlight would be too much, even for a melee >_>.

@_@ Isn't Logan's Catalyst = Tin Crystallization Catalyst? And how does NG+ scale to NG? Is it like the original, or harder?

Hey guys, thinking of killing gywndolin since I already got the 10 souvenir of reprisals, should I?

blkfish92 said:
Hey guys, thinking of killing gywndolin since I already got the 10 souvenir of reprisals, should I?

How did you get those 10? Farming harpies or online PVP with the covenant? 

You need to kill Gwyndolin if you want the platinum, since his soul has two different uses plus killing him once gives you a trophy.

@Routsonmanman - Nope, Logan's Catalyst is found on the Crystal Caves. It's the second most powerful catalyst, after Crystalization. 

NG+ scalation is quite similar as in Demon's Souls. Most enemies gets an attack boost (from 1.3 to 2.3x normal attack power), 1.65x more defense and 2 - 2.25x more HP. Some bosses break this, as Gaping Dragon seems to have almost 4x more HP.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
blkfish92 said:

You need to kill Gwyndolin if you want the platinum, since his soul has two different uses plus killing him once gives you a trophy.

@Routsonmanman - Nope, Logan's Catalyst is found on the Crystal Caves. It's the second most powerful catalyst, after Crystalization. 

NG+ scalation is quite similar as in Demon's Souls. Most enemies gets an attack boost (from 1.3 to 2.3x normal attack power), 1.65x more defense and 2 - 2.25x more HP. Some bosses break this, as Gaping Dragon seems to have almost 4x more HP.

Ya I pvp against others and got 10 you get the darkmoon blade miracle and something else btw what you get with gyndolin's soul? I know 1 is a bow, but is there anything else?

Around the Network
blkfish92 said:
lestatdark said:
blkfish92 said:

Ya I pvp against others and got 10 you get the darkmoon blade miracle and something else btw what you get with gyndolin's soul? I know 1 is a bow, but is there anything else?

In which area and SL did you PVP the most? I don't want to farm those harpies since it will take forever to do it. You can also get a Tin Darkmoon Catalyst with Gwyndolin's soul.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
blkfish92 said:
lestatdark said:
blkfish92 said:

In which area and SL did you PVP the most? I don't want to farm those harpies since it will take forever to do it. You can also get a Tin Darkmoon Catalyst with Gwyndolin's soul.

I guess I pvped mainly at slvl 125? I did so in anor londo, the castle btw is 7 the max for estus?

Black Knight Axe +5 and it's forward + R2 attack = Pwnage

At 580 attack, it does 550 damage to the giant soldiers in Anor Londo, even with the boosted defense. And the Axe is surprisingly fast, faster than the Halberd and equal swing speed to normal, smaller axes.

@blkfish92 - Yeah, the maximum is +7. Each new Fire Keeper soul you get you can use it for Humanity, as each is worth 4 or 5 humanity. I'll try PVP'ing on Anor Londo after I finish the bosses there. I'm still at SL 116.

Current PC Build

I guess I made a mistake by bringing the fire keeper of Firelink shrine back to life , I should have used her soul to improve my estus, I mean what is the point ? ... well at least she is talking now :p

VXIII said:
I guess I made a mistake by bringing the fire keeper of Firelink shrine back to life , I should have used her soul to improve my estus, I mean what is the point ? ... well at least she is talking now :p

Estus charges carry on through NG+. So even if you didn't use her soul to get higher Estus Flask value, you can do so on the next playthrough. I got to +7 on my second Fire Keeper soul on NG+, even without using Anastacia's soul on the first playthrough.

Current PC Build