By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

Ok I think I'm going to head back to the UNDEAD ASYLUM is there anything I should look out for?

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network
StokedUp said:
Ok I think I'm going to head back to the UNDEAD ASYLUM is there anything I should look out for?

Three things: 

1st - Watch out for the weakened floor where you fought the Asylum Demon. It'll break and you'll fall down into the fight with Stray Demon which will destroy you if you're not prepared (he's quite easy to beat, just stay behind him during all the fight).

2nd - In your starting cell there's an item called the Peculiar Doll, you'll need it to access Painted World of Aramis (the cell is protected by a Black Knight though).

3rd - The soldier that gave you the estus flasks is now hollow on the same place. You'll need to fight him.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I killed big hat logan and got his Catalyst, along with his spells. Then one shotted Pinwheel

routsounmanman said:
I killed big hat logan and got his Catalyst, along with his spells. Then one shotted Pinwheel

How damaging is White Dragon Breath? 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:

How damaging is White Dragon Breath? 

That's what I want to know lol, 50 int for that spell!

Around the Network

Not that much for its requirements, it's also slow and low range. I'll probably ditch it and stock up on Crystal Soul Lances, much more reliable. Overall, I think Sorceries have been nerfed quite hard in Dark Souls, I'll start a Strength build to compensate after gettin the Platinum trophy

routsounmanman said:
Not that much for its requirements, it's also slow and low range. I'll probably ditch it and stock up on Crystal Soul Lances, much more reliable. Overall, I think Sorceries have been nerfed quite hard in Dark Souls, I'll start a Strength build to compensate after gettin the Platinum trophy

Nerfed? I've been one-shotted in PVP by a mage using Crystal Soul Spear who did over 1000 damage to my character >_>. And I have 300 magic defense.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:

Nerfed? I've been one-shotted in PVP by a mage using Crystal Soul Spear who did over 1000 damage to my character >_>. And I have 300 magic defense.

I mean PvE and usability wise, sorry. Higher cast times, and bosses that pidgeonhole you in tight spots is frustrating. Not to mention you cannot cutoff tails with magic >_>

In PvP, mages have a more glass-cannon role. You either die easily, or kill easily.

routsounmanman said:
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:

I mean PvE and usability wise, sorry. Higher cast times, and bosses that pidgeonhole you in tight spots is frustrating. Not to mention you cannot cutoff tails with magic >_>

Ahh yes. But cutting tails is just a matter of position of attack, not how much melee damage you do. As long as you hit the right spot, you'll cut the tail. 

I might see two or three bosses that can be frustrating for magic users, but there are some spells (like Homing Crystal Mass) that paired with the Dragoncrest ring, Tin Crystallization Catalyst and hight Int are devastating at very long range and even on NG+. 

Heck, even my measly 25 Int character with Homing Crystal Soulmass, in NG+, can do almost 250 per cast, without any of the aformentioned items.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:

Ahh yes. But cutting tails is just a matter of position of attack, not how much melee damage you do. As long as you hit the right spot, you'll cut the tail. 

I might see two or three bosses that can be frustrating for magic users, but there are some spells (like Homing Crystal Mass) that paired with the Dragoncrest ring, Tin Crystallization Catalyst and hight Int are devastating at very long range and even on NG+. 

Heck, even my measly 25 Int character with Homing Crystal Soulmass, in NG+, can do almost 250 per cast, without any of the aformentioned items.

Precicely my point. You can potentially deal a shitton of damage, I did 800s to Seath even without Tin Crystallization Catalyst and Dragoncrest Ring (had Havel's Ring and Ring of Fervor equipped instead). But the game pushes you hard into playing melee a lot of times, and into tight spots. Imagine having 4-5 bosses like Moonlight Butterfly.

Also, equipping the Dragoncrest Ring and Tin Crystallization Catalyst means you move slowly or with no armor, and that you have all your spells numbers cut in half (when I first equipped TCC i didn't know about this effect, until I wanted to cast Light a second time in the Tomb of Giants >_>)