By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

Areym said:
Somebody please help me out. How do I beat those damn gargoyles? Once the second one comes down, I get beaten to by one while the other spams fire. It is a nightmare and i've been stuck there for the past 3 hours.

You need to focus on the first gargoyle as much as you can. The second one drops down when the first one's health is at 50%, but press on the attack and forget the second one, try to get the first one's HP down as much as you can. 

If the second one comes close and you still haven't take care of the first one, make sure you force the fire attack from the second gargoyle (it's pretty easy to dodge, since it only goes straightforward) and stay on melee range of the first one in order to force it to melee assault you. If you can lure it away from the second one even better.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

lestat, is there a 'best class' to pick at the start of the game?...for example, a class that would be the best balanced with all the attributes (vitality, endurance, strength, dexterity, etc,)?

Areym said:
Somebody please help me out. How do I beat those damn gargoyles? Once the second one comes down, I get beaten to by one while the other spams fire. It is a nightmare and i've been stuck there for the past 3 hours.

1. get the dragonsword, since 200ATP is a huge deal at the beginning.

2. beat the first ones health down as far as possible, but stop  very before triggering the second one to appear, and then;

3. Kite him to the entrance, to large the gap between those two, and wait for a good opportunity to strike. if the gargoyle attacked, go all out (maybe even holding yer weapon in both hands) and try to hit him from 55% to 20%. (<- thats at least what i've accomplished before they were together at last)

4. Endure the last percent of the first, and then nuke the second.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

JGarret said:
lestat, is there a 'best class' to pick at the start of the game?...for example, a class that would be the best balanced with all the attributes (vitality, endurance, strength, dexterity, etc,)?

Well, the Deprived class is the most balanced of all (all stats start at 11), but they're average at best. It doesn't excel at anything, but it's a blank slate to create pretty much whatever class you want and still give you some "good-ish" stats for the rest of the stats you don't want to pursue, unlike the other classes which have much better stats regarding their field of expertise (i.e - The Sorceror class having 15 intelligence but very low Health and Endurance at 8, low Str at 8 and low resistance at 9).

The downside of the Deprived, as it's name implies, is that it starts deprived of any kind of armour, just a basic club and plank shield, so it's very, very vulnerable until you find some armour for it.

A lot of people pick the Pyromancer for starting class. Not only does it have a bit of a balance to it's stats, it also starts with a good Pyromancy spell, the Fireball, starts at level 1 and has more stats pool at level 1 than the rest of the classes at their respective levels.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
JGarret said:

Well, the Deprived class is the most balanced of all (all stats start at 11), but they're average at best. It doesn't excel at anything, but it's a blank slate to create pretty much whatever class you want and still give you some "good-ish" stats for the rest of the stats you don't want to pursue, unlike the other classes which have much better stats regarding their field of expertise (i.e - The Sorceror class having 15 intelligence but very low Health and Endurance at 8, low Str at 8 and low resistance at 9).

The downside of the Deprived, as it's name implies, is that it starts deprived of any kind of armour, just a basic club and plank shield, so it's very, very vulnerable until you find some armour for it.

A lot of people pick the Pyromancer for starting class. Not only does it have a bit of a balance to it's stats, it also starts with a good Pyromancy spell, the Fireball, starts at level 1 and has more stats pool at level 1 than the rest of the classes at their respective levels.

I see...what class did you start with?

Around the Network
JGarret said:
lestatdark said:
JGarret said:

I see...what class did you start with?

My first class was a Hunter, but I found the challenge to be quite similar to my experience with Demon's Souls, so I started a new one as a Deprived and this has been my main class now. 

Current PC Build

Please help, I'm a total noob at this game and I'm still level 1 (or rather, level 4, but haven't levelled up yet). I have over 800 souls, and according to some site I checked, I need 740 souls to level up to lvl 5 at the bonfire.

However, when I go to a bonfire, all I can do is rest. What is up with that shit?

Late to end game people, take note:

Best place to farm Humanity is on the Tomb of Giants, before you go to Nito on the caves with the Pinwheel like enemies, if you fall on the water you'll be attacked by an infinite swarm of undead baby corpses (much like the swamp baby corpses of Demon's Soul 5-3 when faicing Maiden Astraea). With the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, you can get a lot of humanities in just a couple of minutes.

Current PC Build

Chrizum said:
Please help, I'm a total noob at this game and I'm still level 1 (or rather, level 4, but haven't levelled up yet). I have over 800 souls, and according to some site I checked, I need 740 souls to level up to lvl 5 at the bonfire.

However, when I go to a bonfire, all I can do is rest. What is up with that shit?

You can only level up once you get out of the Undead Asylum, since that's the tutorial stage of the game. Once you reach the next bonfire, you'll be able to level up.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
Chrizum said:

You can only level up once you get out of the Undead Asylum, since that's the tutorial stage of the game. Once you reach the next bonfire, you'll be able to level up.

Damn, I've been grinding for nothing? Thanks for the help. I'm off to slay that weird fat demon dragon thingy.