By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Epic says it can 'squeeze more' from Xbox 360, knows when next-gen is coming?

sales2099 said:
Well another rumor did say that the next xbox would have avatar graphics.

Hopefully its true, MS should have the best graphics next gen, would get a lot of whiners on board :P

na, best graphics would still be PCs =P

Around the Network
dahuman said:
sales2099 said:
Well another rumor did say that the next xbox would have avatar graphics.

Hopefully its true, MS should have the best graphics next gen, would get a lot of whiners on board :P

na, best graphics would still be PCs =P

That goes without saying offourse. Sorry, I didnt say "best console graphics".....my bad :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

dahuman said:
EGG_OF_D00m said:
what's so different between console's and pc's ive seen comparisons of battlefield 3 pc vs ps3 and they both look similar maybe it might be my laptop but there's really not much difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE&hd=1

watch this in 1080p and ask yourself, do you think a PS3 can do all that with 64 players with a bigger map area at once?

well the ps3 version will look close to that it just wont handle that many players

@egg_of_doom

Youtube videos are not qualified to show the real graphics of a game due to the extreme compression a lot of information gets lost. The PS3 wont be close to a maxed out BF3 on PC. Its kinda like showing a 60fps gameplay video on youtube. Makes no sense at all. A Videostream is not ideal to judge game graphic

@sales2099

This statement you refer to was not a rumor. An AMD representative said the Xbox 720 will push an avatar like level of detail and make it possible that every NPC in games like GTA will have his own personality. If thats realistic dont know but atleast its new for a gpu manufacturer to say something like this.

I'm torn, cause I want better graphics, good AI, good 3D and a enhanced gaming experience - so new consoles sound appealing. However whatever comes next we will be living with for a long while. So I want it to be breathtaking and a big improvement.

1080P is already starting to show it's age (or size limit) - so will the next Mega HD Consoles be 1440? (2x 720P) or 2160 (2x 1080P) or all the way to 4K TV and gaming can sure benefit from a higher refresh rate than 60/50 Hz so 120Hz or 240Hz?. Some of it depends on what television manufactures do.

And in reference to Cameron’s Avatar - The Next Avatar movie will be shot in 48P (not 24P like most movies). I think the twice the frames per second improvement will be stunning and more people will want higher refresh rates on their TVs. (Yes, I realize that's slower than most TV, but perception is different from a Cinema Screen vs a TV.) And it will make the 3D even more real looking. So TV Manufactures could respond in accord.

I think MS will be the last to introduce a new console and like the original Xbox, it will be the most powerful of the generation. But that means a long wait. Because you will need a huge upgrade to handle all that processing.

All three companies have had successful innovations this gen - Sony with the 3D and Blu-ray, Nintendo with movement, and Microsoft with Online Gaming/Community. I’m hoping they can all hang in a push each other for the benefit of all gamers. But it means we may have to wait for mega HD from Sony/Microsoft.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Booh! said:
Nsanity said:
Booh! said:

I'm with Eurogamer: "Elsewhere, however, there's evidence that we are reaching the limits of the hardware, such as those moments when Fenix is arbitrarily required to chainsaw through wood - which result in some horrible clipping as his tree-trunk arms clumsily disappear through it. At times pre-rendered cut-scenes kick in, and slightly dodgy compression sees to it that they lack the razor sharpness of their real-time counterparts."(Gears 3 review).

Especially after Bleszinsky's unnecessary outcry.

I'm with DigialFoundry

"The smart money says we're nine months away from the reveal of brand-new Xbox hardware, that major advances in visual technology are being held back by the hardware limitations of six-year-old architecture. Gears of War 3 begs to differ. Developed in parallel with the hugely popular Unreal Engine 3 technology, the game looks absolutely remarkable: put it side-by-side with the last game, or even up against Epic's own Bulletstorm, and it's clear that the current gen is still capable of some genuine surprises"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-gears-of-war-3

You should read on, not just the first paragraph. The tech analysis says: screen tearing, frame drops and no AA. It looks good but it shows the limits of the hardware.

Every game shows a limitation to hardware. Thats why devs are in constant need of optimizing.

After finishing the game about 30 mins ago, its very clear that Gears 3 is on the edge of the hardware with probably little wiggle room left. The same will be for Forza 4 and BF3. Helll UC3 doesnt look much different from 2. all these games are touching that wall. Its the devs that are looking for ways to bendd that wall just a little further. 

Everyong needs to understand we are at that limit with all current gen consoles. 

With the amount of stuff onscreen that Gears 3 is throwing around ( no other game has come close that Ive played ) I'm surprised that they have managed to get this at 720p native. I'm running a 42 inch HDTV and there isnt many jaggies visible at all really. The game is very impressive with all the effects its pumping out and amount of action oonscreen.

I'd say I agree. I cannot see any of the current gen consoles going much beyond the visuals of this years games. Gears 3, UC3, BF3, Forza 4 and Rage.

Edouble24 said:
PullusPardus said:
why are people so looking forward to new consoles? if you are that interested in graphical improvements, then get a freaking PC.

Consoles and PCs don't get the same games. 

..anywho, need it or not i'm starting to anticipate a new generation.  I kinda don't expect a whole lot more out of my games graphically but I'm hoping for a good leap in other features: cross game chat, custom soundtrack, internet browsing, netflix picture in game, face to face chat while in game, a much better social integration as advanced as facebook, cross platform competitive play, tranfaring with related systems, ..other stuff i can't think of now but will want as soon as i hear about it.

nothing to see here

ZaneWane said:

thats the best you can do lol

Please don't turn this into an immature game of e-peen stroking.

OT: Meh. I still doubt next-gen consoles are coming soon.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Developers can always squeeze more out of consoles.