By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS Vita Could Have The Power Of A PC

The powerful CPU at the heart of Sony’s Vita could match the power of contemporary PCs, according to hardware giants ARM.

In the increasingly incestuous world of gaming hardware, ARM is everyone’s daddy. Their chips reside in the iPhone, the 3DS and the PS Vita - the latter of which reportedly has enough potential power to challenge the PC.

Nestled inside the Vita will be ARM’s quad-core Cortex-A9 design, which runs at (an apparently mighty) 2.50 DMIPS/MHz per core. ARM further claim to have tech demos of the CPU running at up to 2GHz, however, which would place it in the same ball park as your modern-day desktop.

“Game developers will get the best out of this platform,” said ARM’s media processing division general manager Lance Howarth to EDGE. “It’s going to be a massive leap on in terms of technology.”

What’s more, the quad-core setup of Vita’s CPU seems to reveal a Sony newly concerned with efficiency; whilst the Motorola Zoom, Galaxy Tab II and others have gone for a dual-core version of the Cortex-A9, Howarth reckons that it might be “more power efficient to run quad-core at a lower speed than dual-core at a higher speed”.

With the Vita now confirmed as region-free, boasting a killer launch line-up and featuring frankly absurd-sounding tech like this, the short period the 3DS has before its rival’s December 17th release date in Japan is looking more important by the day.

Link: http://beefjack.com/news/ps-vita-could-have-the-power-of-a-pc-hardware-dev/

Around the Network

That's a BS article, full of hyperbole, half truths and outright lies.

Narishma said:

+1.

You just can't compare an ARM CPU to a PC CPU.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Narishma said:

+1.

Although, the article is clearly for hits and sizzles.

Technically, every electronic devices are PC (personal computers).

JEMC said:
Narishma said:

+1.

Please explain to us non-experts.

Around the Network

Bahahaha.

What a complete and utter load of bollocks.

RolStoppable said:
The last paragraph gives it away that this is a satirical piece.

I had a feeling you would comment on the 3DS part.

I like how your name is ThePS3News and this is playstation news after all!

Dr.Grass said:
JEMC said:
Narishma said:

+1.

Please explain to us non-experts.

I'm in no way an expert, but even I know that an ARM processor can't run the same instructions than an Intel/AMD/VIA CPU, meaning that if a Co wants to have a program running on both processors then it hasto do 2 versions, 1 for PCs and another one for ARM.

So if you can't use the most of the programs on both platforms, how can you compare it?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

blkfish92 said:
I like how your name is ThePS3News and this is playstation news after all!

ThePS3News will always post playstation news.

And he will also post other things that are interesting and need to be talked about.  :)