By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Jim Sterling on Cliffy B's Reaction to GoW3 Reviews - Vulgar, Spoiled and Greedy

I can't believe people are actually defending Cliffy, it's such a weird thing.

It's simple, not everyone will like Gears of War as much as everyone else, I'd even go so far as to say that Gears of War is a franchise that get's a lot of passes when other games are judged far more critically for similar faults (Like Zelda, God of War, Rockstar Games, Valve games). Games are also judged based on the competition, it's been three years since the last Gears of War and a lot of critically acclaimed games have come out since then, it's entered a very competitive market (when it comes to reviews) and it can't rely on the same tropes as the last game if it wants a straight 9/10 review lineup. Cliffy wanted Gears 3 to be the next Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2 or Portal 2 and his disappointed with the results, though that result should be put on him and his team and not on the reviewer. The Eurogamer reviewer isn't a 'hater', he just want blown away and that's not his fault.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

I personally haven't followed Cliffy B much, but I have seen some posters comparing him to David Jaffe - who I have followed quite a bit due to the fact of being a huge God Of War fan. I noticed that people are referring to the two of them as, 'whiny' - 'arrogant' and so on, but when it comes down to it, I just see two guys who are incredibly passionate about what they do, and the games that they make. The two of them will fight for what they believe in and I see nothing wrong with that. Jaffe seems to be labeled as an 'outspoken' kind of person, but more times than not he's speaking the truth, he doesn't try to sugar coat it, he says it as he sees it and it's people on forums like this who just can't handle it.

Same goes for Cliffy B, he's upset by a reviewers comments, and he's entitled to be. At the end of the day, someone who has spent years working on a game knows better than a reviewer who has played it for, X number of hours.

i agree with cliff on one thing. LBP2 is far more better than LBP and it gets lower scores. smh

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

gustave154 said:
i agree with cliff on one thing. LBP2 is far more better than LBP and it gets lower scores. smh

Yeah it keeps going back to reviewers are much harsher at judging games all of a sudden. UC3 will most likely get a lower score than UC2 even though UC3 is most likely going to be the better game.

Level1Death said:
8/10 is a good score, Cliffy is just acting like a child. But the real fun will begin if someone gives Uncharted 3 an 8.

Review scores have just gone to crap. Anything under 90 is considered meh. Also i won't mind Uncharted 3 getting a score of 8 and neither would the much humbling developers. 

Happy gaming :)

Around the Network
green_sky said:
Level1Death said:
8/10 is a good score, Cliffy is just acting like a child. But the real fun will begin if someone gives Uncharted 3 an 8.

Review scores have just gone to crap. Anything under 90 is considered meh. Also i won't mind Uncharted 3 getting a score of 8 and neither would the much humbling developers. 

That's not entirely true. Anything under 90 for a high calibur triple A game is considered underrated...not meh. I've played games that are as low as 69 on metacritic and thought they were pretty good.

I guess you could say anything under 7-7.5 is probably considered mehish.

yo_john117 said:
green_sky said:
Level1Death said:

That's not entirely true. Anything under 90 for a high calibur triple A game is considered underrated...not meh. I've played games that are as low as 69 on metacritic and thought they were pretty good.

I am not saying that under 90 are meh to me. It is just that the console $60 market has become more of either go big or go home. People are less inclined to buy a full price game if it doesn't set the metacritic on fire. But yea i agree some of the lower rated games can be really fun. I generally read or listen to what the reviewer is saying than score. So yea. :)

green_sky said:
yo_john117 said:
green_sky said:
Level1Death said:

I am not saying that under 90 are meh to me. It is just that the console $60 market has become more of either go big or go home. People are less inclined to buy a full price game if it doesn't set the metacritic on fire. But yea i agree some of the lower rated games can be really fun. I generally read or listen to what the reviewer is saying than score. So yea. :)

Yeah i'm inclined to agree with you on that point. Games that don't have the flash of an AAA game tend to be overlooked more.

Cliff is right

It's easy to call the developers whiners but lets put this in perspective, Uncharted 2 wasn't a 96% average game, Mass Effect 2 shouldn't be either imo. The problem is reviewers rated games too highly early in the generation and are now adjusting to a lower standard but this doesn't change historic reviews which were frankly overrated. GTA IV is a classic example of a game that the reviewers were just plain wrong, 98% average, are you kidding me!!!

I think CliffyB is entitled to bitch that is game is suffering critically for mistakes reviewers made to be perfectly honest. Reviewers have quite literally lost their consistancy and thats why the scores mean even less than ever. He might be a arrogant so and so but that still doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion. I guess reviewers would love it if they could write any crap they like and hide behind journallism without ever been called out for their conduct.

If you want to see more objective reviews look at the PC game scores, there's too many no name talentless journalists in the console sector imo.