By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A quick look at 2007 American Wii Software sales

Zucas said:
I still don't think its fair for finding out the tie ratio without including Wii Sports, and especially Wii Play, a title bought in stores haha. I mean because Wii Sports may come with the console, but you have to take into a fact now when they buy a console they already have one game, meaning it may not be necessary for them to buy another game. This would offset now the tie ratio by obviously 1 pt, for not including it.

And not including Wii Play is silly. Just cuase it comes bundled with a Wii Remote means nothing. It's still a game and bought by people as a game. I think at least Wii Play should be added in, but you get my point about Wii Sports.

Above and beyond all else, I left them out to avoid arguments ...
The resulting statistics end up being both better and worse for the Wii ...

Around the Network

This means that (roughly) 3 titles were purchased by every Wii owner in 2007

Wii owners (on average) buy 1 Wii game every 2 months

Those two things don't make sense together.

I'm impressed by the sheer amount of sales for only the Wii first year, can't wait other see what next years sells bring for the Wii. And HappySqurriel you've outdone yourself for these topics (I saw the Ps3 one as well And I hope you do a Xbox 360 one as well) definitely mod material.

alot of people had their wii for youst a fiew months

I think it would be good to point out without Wii Sports as well. But then all the Motorstorm, Forza, and Marvel would have to be taken in consideration as well for the other systems.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
Rath said:

That's because they are taking into account months owned.

@ Kasz and Rath, it's more of an estimate since it would be impossible know if everyone in America who owns a wii has either 1 or 25 games or so for it.

Soriku said:
Oh yeah, where's the "third party games don't sell on the Wii" argument now?

I could be wrong, but from what I see as third parties start producing better games they should eat away some marketshare from Nintendo, as the Wii's userbase grows software sales will grow alongside it, and by this time next year it will be impossible to make this same claim anymore.

Kasz216 said:
Rath said:

Explain slowly please?

Rath said:
Kasz216 said:
Rath said:

Explain slowly please?

3 titles purchased by every wii owner is taking the total number of wii games sold and dividing by console ownership.

While the second figure is derived by dividing total number of wii games sold by the total months a console is owned instead of total consoles sold.  

For example, say there are 4 wii consoles, and they sell 12 games over the year.

That would be roughly 3 titles purchased by every wii owner.

Now say, of those consoles, 1 had been owned for 12 months and the other 3 had been owned for 4 months each.  So out of a total of 24 combined months of ownership 12 games have been sold.  So they have sold 2 games per month.

This second method, while trickier to calculate is less biased then the first model, which is biased towards sysems that arn't selling well.  Take the PS3 for example, which until recently hasn't been selling well after a huge burst at launch.  It's attach rate would be much higher, as the average length the system has been owned is higher, therefore people have played through the games and bought new ones, while your raidly new expanded Wii owners who just  bought the system last month have yet to get tired with Wii sports.

Of course it's not a perfect science since people tend to buy 2 or 3 games at launch.  But it's still a slightly better indicator.