By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do you think the Driver:San Fransisco game for Wii did bad?

Tagged games:

I didn't even know there was a Driver for Wii.... the thing is, when you build yourself a reputation as a sholeware producer it's only obvious that you'll lose credibility and people will stop paying attention to you.

Around the Network

I'm also in the "i didn't know this game existed," boat

We're also talking about a franchise that's well past its prime. While it may not have posted numbers that dismal elsewhere, i'd say it'd have its work cut out for it even as a PS360 multiplat

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Oh, so it is on PS3/360 as well?

Shows just how much i know...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I actually came here thinking this was a "joke thread", didn't realise there was a DSF:wii O.o

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I'm surprised this isn't obvious to everyone, including Ubisoft by now.   Frankly, while I'm very grateful to Ubisoft for even making a decent Wii version, it's a wonder why they bothered.

There's two main reasons:  One - because virtually anyone who this game would appeal to would own a 360 or PS3 and given the option would buy the HD version over the Wii version.   We've seen this countless times.   Wii's motion controls adds nothing of real value here (it doesn't use Wiiwheel even) so why wouldn't you get the superior HD version?

Two- Because we've seen so many horrid Wii versions of the same game from EA, Ubisoft (Ghost Recon, HAWX, etc) and others which bares little to no resemblence to it's HD counterpoint except name that even if Wii is your only system you'd be afraid to get this - at least until reviews came in.    I've only seen one review for the Wii version (which is a completely different game than the HD version) - IGN gave it a 7 (gave the HD version a 8) so not bad, but not great.

Much more telling in my mind was Prince of Persia - Forgotten Sands (also from Ubisoft) which was actually better reviewed on Wii (and IS a great Wii game, best of it's genre for the system easily) and that STILL tanked despite a huge push (which unlike Driver, didn't ignore the Wii version).  It tanked on all systems (like Driver SF is doing) but most especially on Wii, despite being the better game.  Blame it on being percieved as a movie tie in or tired series but it's still a crying shame.

Or more recently Madden 12 - over 1/2 million on each HD console in week 1, 30k on Wii.  Pathetic.

The Wii crowd is now uber-casual - Dance games rule - and aside from Nintendo mainstays (Zelda) which the Nintendo fans will always buy, no 'core' game has a chance of selling large numbers.  Which is why we'll probably never see Xenoblade in NA...  >_<

Around the Network

I also didn't even know the game even existed...

I didn't know it existed, and I'm a pretty big Driver fan

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Gamerace said:

I'm surprised this isn't obvious to everyone, including Ubisoft by now.   Frankly, while I'm very grateful to Ubisoft for even making a decent Wii version, it's a wonder why they bothered.

There's two main reasons:  One - because virtually anyone who this game would appeal to would own a 360 or PS3 and given the option would buy the HD version over the Wii version.   We've seen this countless times.   Wii's motion controls adds nothing of real value here (it doesn't use Wiiwheel even) so why wouldn't you get the superior HD version?

Two- Because we've seen so many horrid Wii versions of the same game from EA, Ubisoft (Ghost Recon, HAWX, etc) and others which bares little to no resemblence to it's HD counterpoint except name that even if Wii is your only system you'd be afraid to get this - at least until reviews came in.    I've only seen one review for the Wii version (which is a completely different game than the HD version) - IGN gave it a 7 (gave the HD version a 8) so not bad, but not great.

Much more telling in my mind was Prince of Persia - Forgotten Sands (also from Ubisoft) which was actually better reviewed on Wii (and IS a great Wii game, best of it's genre for the system easily) and that STILL tanked despite a huge push (which unlike Driver, didn't ignore the Wii version).  It tanked on all systems (like Driver SF is doing) but most especially on Wii, despite being the better game.  Blame it on being percieved as a movie tie in or tired series but it's still a crying shame.

Or more recently Madden 12 - over 1/2 million on each HD console in week 1, 30k on Wii.  Pathetic.

The Wii crowd is now uber-casual - Dance games rule - and aside from Nintendo mainstays (Zelda) which the Nintendo fans will always buy, no 'core' game has a chance of selling large numbers.  Which is why we'll probably never see Xenoblade in NA...  >_<

this. he hit the nail on the head.  Unless the game is family friendly, it WILL not outsell or even get close to its HD conterpart, not gonna. Notice i said "family friendly" and not "core"

Because the audience to whom the game aims at already owns either a PS3 or a 360 and I'm pretty sure 100% of those bought the HD version instead of the Wii version for obvious reasons.

Edit: Oh someone already mentionned it.

Because the Wii already has superior driving games like Cruisin'

Signature goes here!