By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 to Outsell PS3 in August Despite Price Cut, says Analyst

Industrygamers

Xbox 360 has seen plenty of momentum, partially fueled by Kinect, and has outsold Sony's PS3 in North America for most of 2011. The August NPD data will be released in a couple days, and despite a $50 price drop for PS3 in the middle of the month, Microsoft's console is still estimated to top Sony's.

Wedbush Securities' estimates place PS3 up six percent to 240,000 units sold for the month, but that's still not enough to top Xbox 360's forecasted 275,000 units (which represents a 23% decline year-over-year). Nintendo's Wii is also expected to be down 28% to 175,000 units, while 3DS sells 135,000 and DS is down 31% to 235,000.

On the software side, the retail games market is expected to put up very weak numbers again for August, as sales are estimate at $284 million, down 30% compared to last year’s $404 million. "Despite a relatively easy comp of down 14%, we expect negative software sales growth to continue in August due to a late Madden launch (on August 30, three weeks after its customary release date due to the NFL lockout, and outside the close of the NPD retail calendar for August) and a very weak release slate," said analyst Michael Pachter. "Madden sales totaled $115 million last year, so without the delay, our forecast calls for only a slightly down month." 

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/xbox-360-to-outsell-ps3-in-august-despite-price-cut-says-analyst/

Around the Network

PS3 won't surpass 360 this year. I hope both consoles close in on Wii's numbers. Ridiculous how much that consoles sold.

---

it looks that way, i dont see a ps3 npd victory for along time 360 got US under control, it needed to go down to 199 in order for the PS3 to win some NPDs

Play Me

Please can you put America in the title, I'm sick of being mislead like this.

Sigh I'll say this for everyone: In US? No shit.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

Funny...i knew it was american based before i clicked on the topic. Probably because i've never seen an analyst from japan or Europe. PachMiester FTW. Also 360 outselling PS3....there can only be ONE region where this is even possible right now.  Use your head.

---

The ps3 needs to be $199 to outsell the 360 in US weekly, not that it can win the region anyway.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Lord_Yggdrassil said:
brendude13 said:

Funny...i knew it was american based before i clicked on the topic. Probably because i've never seen an analyst from japan or Europe. PachMiester FTW. Also 360 outselling PS3....there can only be ONE region where this is even possible right now.  Use your head.

People still analyse worldwide sales...

And I know that this wouldn't be possible worldwide, but I didn't think twice before I quickly clicked the thread. People really need to start putting America in the title.

Anyway...Why so serious?

VGC data.

I think x360 will be spot on, ps3 undertracked and closer to 240k, 3ds - undertracked and in 350-400k range

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Not surprised. $50 isn't too much of a price cut and America has developed a loyalty for the Xbox brand.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.