By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS Download Play Is Region Locked For 3DS Games!

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
RolStoppable said:
Region locking exists to prevent imports and thus it enables companies to have more and better control over the prices of their products in each region. It's not just video games where this is done, but also movies.

That download play is region locked is a logical consequence of the games themselves being region locked.

movies are region locked??? Since when??? Ive played asian dvds on my various dvd players for years and still do

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaserdisc/a/aaregioncodesa.htm

That should answer all questions, including why you can play Asian DVDs on your players.

interesting, does that mean that most computers and PS2 are DVD region free?? Cause that what i mostly use for my imported asian films. 

Around the Network
Immortal said:
oniyide said:

times sure have changed, it i was that age i wouldnt even have the gall to ask my mother to use her credit card.

But why now?? WHy not do it with GBA and DS??? Thats where i dont buy it, if they always had region lock that would be one thing. I agree with everything else

Really? I borrow my mother's card for online transactions all the time...

Anyhow, I'm sure you know this already, but the GBA was more sophisticated than the GB, the DS was more sophisticated than the GBA and the 3DS is even more sophisticated. My completely uneducated guess is that it's much easier to implement these restrictions with more sophisticated technology. I mean, think about it, when making a system, they probably have a lot of things to implement. Region Lock is probably near the bottom of the list. So, with earlier systems and their limited technology, Nintendo couldn't be bothered. Since 3DS can do so much stuff already, it's probably easy to add Region Lock and they therefore decided to do it.

I have my own funds and cards and stuff NOW, but when i was a kid that would have been a no-no. Lucky you

Why has Sony then stopped region coding consoles??? I think its HARDER to make region coded consoles. Ninty has to make essentially 3 different kinds of 3DSs, where as PSP for example. You just make one type and send it on its way. That has to be an easier alternative