By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How much maths is involved in Computer programming?

I am gonna start learning computer science but am a bit weak at Maths.

Whats types of maths is required and for what type of programs?

I mainly want to develop applications and services

Around the Network

Nothing very serious.

Only Algebra, Analysis and Numerics.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Technically every line of code is a form of discrete math :D.

I'm a computer programmer and I make software for bancs...and I don't need anything more than basic maths for it.
Don't know how it'd look like if I would work on technically more difficult things like graphics, AI, or such...guess then would math become more important. But you certainly DON'T have to be a genius to become a programmer.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Faxanadu said:
Nothing very serious.

Wrong. You will want to be good at Calculus, Linear Algebra (much more complicated than normal algebra, don't let it fool you), Discrete, and depending on what you're doing, Physics classes could be helpful.

Unless you think those are all easy, but at my university they were insanely difficult :S

And as ghettolamour pointed out, it really depends on WHAT you will be programming and to what level. I'm focusing more on software engineering, AI, maybe graphical items in the future, etc.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Faxanadu said:
Nothing very serious.

Wrong. You will want to be good at Calculus, Linear Algebra (much more complicated than normal algebra, don't let it fool you), Discrete, and depending on what you're doing, Physics classes could be helpful.

Unless you think those are all easy, but at my university they were insanely difficult :S

And as ghettolamour pointed out, it really depends on WHAT you will be programming and to what level. I'm focusing more on software engineering, AI, maybe graphical items in the future, etc.

i can still cope with calculus and linear algebra but physics is out of reach

i want to be programming websites and other utility applications,what will be required for these.

i don't think developing a website and its design requires that tough of maths.i am pretty good algorithmically

media things like Adobe work on their own as far as i now,its a predevloped program.

also what is HTML 5,more tough code or the easier

i suspect graphics will have to do with geometry but i won't go there atm

for example what is required for making vgchartz,facebook,yahoo?please datail which part requries what maths

Faxanadu said:
Nothing very serious.

can you develop good applications,web programs with it

i was hsitting my pants as i thought calculous and other stuff would come in it

What you want to do don't need math at all.
Any math requirements will be provided to you to plug into the application.

The more important skill is critical thinking. Ask the right questions. There are more than 1 way to solve almost anything.

You can learn to programme fine even with basic math knowledge, dont let what anyone says put you off, clearly there are some areas that require good maths (physics engine, Graphics, etc ) but for small apps dont worry about it you will learn anything you dont know and need on the way. Agood understanding of logic and logic operators is probably more useful to get started.

websites are not very complicated to program, any programmer with the minimum of skills in programming (and in maths, if you ask) should be able to make a simple website.

In fact, the difficulty of programming such websites as social networks, online shops, intranets for enterprises, etc. is the content of it.
Great programming skills are often less needed than understanding what(and how) the people that are going to use your applications want and need it to do.
Another important thing which hasn't been mentioned yet the ability to work in team, since almost every application nowadays is made by several people who actually need to work and discuss with each other. To me, this is way more important than maths skills.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey