By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Jean Claude Van Damme News!!!

Tagged games:

What is your favorite Jean Claude Van Varenburg movie?

Bloodsport 30 83.33%

Kickboxer 4: The Agressor... 0 0%

Breakin' 2 5.56%

Missing in Action 0 0%

Predator (Predator for a day) 0 0%

Rue Barbare 0 0%

Monaco Forever 0 0%

Sinav 1 2.78%

Narco or The secret adv... 0 0%

I should have left the poll how it was. 3 8.33%

Total:36
disolitude said:
Vetteman94 said:
disolitude said:
Vetteman94 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Vetteman94 said:
JCVD is bad even for an action star, not quite Dolph Lundgren bad, but close. It doesn't take much to be a decent actor in an action movie and he couldn't even pull it off. The only movie he did that was even remotely any good was Bloodsport, which is oddly absent from the poll, and it wasn't because of him that it was good.

In all seriousness, Time Cop was crazy good! They even have it in that 90's montage movie ultimate fight scense. You should at least check that one out...and maybe even hard Target.

I have seen almost every one of his movies,  Most are barely passable as an action movie.  I dont think any of them would rank in a best action movie list. Having one scene in a best fights montage isnt that special.   Especially depending on whos montage it was.   

Hell Steven Segal is a better action star than JCVD is.  At least his fight scenes are somewhat memorable.

Steven Segal fight scenes memorable?

Name me a single Segal fight scene more memorable than any Van Damme good fight scene in Lionheart, Bloodsport, Double inpact and penguin kitchen fight Sudden Death.

Jewelry Store in Marked for Death
Bar Scene in Out for Justice
The Butcher Shop Scene in Out for Justice
Italian Restaurant in Out for Justice
Knife Fight with Tommy Lee Jones in Under Seige
Machine Shop Fight in Under Seige
Sword Fight in Marked for Death

Just to name a few

I like 90s Segals movies but you could take any mean looking dude and have him do what Segal did in those fights. Not saying that Segals style of fighting wasn't effective, just that it isn't attractive to look at.

However no one as as fluid with kicks as Van Damme at the time. Sure, guys like Michal Jai White and Scott Adkins these days have outclassed what Van Damme started but at the time, everyone doing kicks looked like a wooden ragdoll compared to Van Damme.

Well I doubt just anyone without the training that Segal has had could pull off those fight scenes. And I dont want pretty action movies,  I want gritty and brutal action movies.  And thats what Segal did better.  Why should it be pretty?

As for the fluid kicks,  his matial arts training was mainly in KickBoxing and Karate,  where kicks are the primary focus.  And you must only be talking about Western actors then if you think he had the most fluid kicks in the 90s.  

Around the Network

Why did the poll get completely rewritten, instead of just substituting Bloodsport for Last Action Hero cameo?

Vetteman94 said:

Well I doubt just anyone without the training that Segal has had could pull off those fight scenes. And I dont want pretty action movies,  I want gritty and brutal action movies.  And thats what Segal did better.  Why should it be pretty?

As for the fluid kicks,  his matial arts training was mainly in KickBoxing and Karate,  where kicks are the primary focus.  And you must only be talking about Western actors then if you think he had the most fluid kicks in the 90s.  

While Segal movies were gritty for sure, very rarely did they make him look like the underdog or give him fair fighting competition. It gets boring when you're kicking ass 100% of the time. Not to mention that they were mostly the same. Segal basically had 1 type of movie in his prime...the "kill everyone to avenge something" movie. Few of them stick out as better than average for sure but by the time Under Siege 2 came out, he was done.

Van Damme was way more versitile and tried different types of movies, with mixed results...He also really screwed himself over. Drug abuse and refusing the 12 million dollars per picture after time cop and asking for 20 made him blacklisted in hollywood.

Some stuff he made after 2000's which never made it States side is quite good. Replicant, Wake of Death, in Hell are some of the best straight to DVD action movies you will see.

disolitude said:
Vetteman94 said:

While Segal movies were gritty for sure, very rarely did they make him look like the underdog or give him fair fighting competition. It gets boring when you're kicking ass 100% of the time. Not to mention that they were mostly the same. Segal basically had 1 type of movie in his prime...the "kill everyone to avenge something" movie. Few of them stick out as better than average for sure but by the time Under Siege 2 came out, he was done.

Van Damme was way more versitile and tried different types of movies, with mixed results...He also really screwed himself over. Drug abuse and refusing the 12 million dollars per picture after time cop and asking for 20 made him blacklisted in hollywood.

Some stuff he made after 2000's which never made it States side is quite good. Replicant, Wake of Death, in Hell are some of the best straight to DVD action movies you will see.

Exactly, I always felt sorry the woman Segal was married to in any of his movies because she would ALWAYS get killed. That was the premise for nearly all of them.

"You killed my wife again, time to die."

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:

Exactly, I always felt sorry the woman Segal was married to in any of his movies because she would ALWAYS get killed. That was the premise for nearly all of them.

"You killed my wife again, time to die."

And he's always like ''It's not nice to curse,I suggest you stop before you get hurt''*punches nose*

Around the Network

street fighter :D

nah mine would be kickboxer and universal soldiers, (the original version)

he looks pretty good for being 50yrs old,but I guess steroids will make you look buff at any age. lol

oldschoolfool said:
he looks pretty good for being 50yrs old,but I guess steroids will make you look buff at any age. lol

Where does it say that he has taken steroids?

Mordred11 said:
oldschoolfool said:

It doesn't,but I'm just asuming because no one that old,can naturally look that buff,same goes for the 60 something sly stallone. All of these old action stars have obviously taken something,if you disagree,then your living in denial.

oldschoolfool said:
Mordred11 said:
oldschoolfool said:

It doesn't,but I'm just asuming because no one that old,can naturally look that buff,same goes for the 60 something sly stallone. All of these old action stars have obviously taken something,if you disagree,then your living in denial.

There's a HUGE difference between taking protein shakes+vitamins and steroids..