By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita has more RAM than PS3

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/18/playstation-vita-has-more-ram-than-ps3-hey-cross-game-chat/

Yep, the total is about 640Mb. 512Mb for the main memory, and 128 of V-RAM. I wouldn't of guessed it had more, though. Based on current screen-shots of Vita games, it doesn't look to have as high of resolution textures compared to PS3 games. Still, I'm guessing that extra RAM is just going to be used for cross-game voice chat, and can't actually be used for higher texture resolutions. Kinda disappointing if that's true, but it still looks to be one heck of a machine.

I don't know why people tell me to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have lots of lives!

Around the Network

ditto on all points, but remember op the PS3 is still more powerful. now i'm no tech guy so i'm not sure wht that means but its out there as Vta is said to be 5x more powerful then the PSP while PS3 is 10x more powerful then the PS2 which likely makes PS3 6 to 8x more powerful ten the Vita.

VITA games resolution is not higher as that will be unnecessary as small screen and will consume more development time and also battery consumption

when you will look at the screen you will find the game resolution as good as PS3 as that screens size only needs that much

also the PS3 has CELL which is pretty damn tough t replicate

But, which is more powerful when you give the benefit of the doubt to the vita for only needing to fill five inches of screen.

Can't wait for this thing... My PSP died April 10th... I've been without portable music since.
(Off subject, but, I need to know.... Multi-card readers... Memory stick? I'd gotten a 16GB stick a month before my PSP died, and I wont be happy if I can't use it...)

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ditto on all points, but remember op the PS3 is still more powerful. now i'm no tech guy so i'm not sure wht that means but its out there as Vta is said to be 5x more powerful then the PSP while PS3 is 10x more powerful then the PS2 which likely makes PS3 6 to 8x more powerful ten the Vita.

That's true, but I was never under the assumption that the PS Vita was as powerful as the PS3. I think the two are somewhat within the same distance (like how Dreamcast was not that far off from the PS2), but I don't expect the PS Vita to be able to match the top-tier graphics of the PS3. There might eventually be a game to come close to looking like a PS3 game, but for the most part those are gonna be few and far in-between. There might be some games that look like a mid-tier PS3 game, but I definitely don't expect to see anything that looks close to Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, or God of War 3.

I don't know why people tell me to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have lots of lives!

Around the Network

I'm really no expert but I believe not all ram is the same. my decade old PC that my mom uses now has 256MB of ram. Does not mean it can run anything at the capacity that the PS3 can.

PS3 uses a specific type of ram that was designed for gaming and the system.I'm willing to bet that the memory in the ps3 can smoke the vita;s in real world performance.

That might possibly be true, as based on current screen-shots of PS Vita games not have very high texture resolutions.

Navane said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

That's true, but I was never under the assumption that the PS Vita was as powerful as the PS3. I think the two are somewhat within the same distance (like how Dreamcast was not that far off from the PS2), but I don't expect the PS Vita to be able to match the top-tier graphics of the PS3. There might eventually be a game to come close to looking like a PS3 game, but for the most part those are gonna be few and far in-between. There might be some games that look like a mid-tier PS3 game, but I definitely don't expect to see anything that looks close to Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, or God of War 3.

dito

everything looks better on a smaller screen.
the ps3 memory has always been a problem for devs from what i've heard.
so maybe they learned from that and want to test it on the psv

What I want from a game.

Gameplay > Story > Content > Graphics

Visual Style > Graphics

Smooth Camera, Intuitive Controls

Friction! When everything feels right!

Navane said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

dito