By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: 'After the PS3 Price Cut, any plans to move down a little?' 'No.'

Im still going with I think it has been MS's plan to cut the price in the Fall anyways. They are selling well, but if they claimed they will be "#1 worldwide" I can't see how they wouldn't cut. If they do not cut I don't see anyway their claims would have a chance.

Around the Network

MS were either just talking about US when they said #1 or they clearly already have a date in mind for a price cut, there is no way they thought theyd be number 1 WW by doing nothing.

kowenicki said:
pezus said:

Eh, PS3 was selling much better in Europe than 360 yet Sony cut the price. 

for the US market....  regional price cuts arent that common because they anger consumers.

360 received multiple price cuts in Europe in 2008. And Wii has yet to get a price cut in Japan. And although it wasn't an actual price cut, the Wii/Wii Fit bundle in Europe last year never came to NA or Japan. And PSP got a price cut in Japan several months before it got one in the west this year. It's a common thing.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

So...?

2nd July-SCE India talks about price cut on the PS3

Any chance of a price drop on the PS3 soon?

As of now, no.

Gamescom, then?

(laughs) Well, if there was a price drop coming at Gamescom, I’d know. There is, however, a new PS3 chassis being discussed. A slightly different design, but from what I can tell, not much difference in functionality.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=132636&page=1#

http://www.indianvideogamer.com/features/round-6-interview-with-atindriya-bose-playstation-india/

16th August-Price cut.

Yeah, PS3 isn't miles ahead in Europe, in terms of install base they're very close to each other and selling on par.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Yeah, PS3 isn't miles ahead in Europe, in terms of install base they're very close to each other and selling on par.

PS3 EU installbase: 18,839,113
360 EU installbase: 17,028,310

PS3 EU YTD sales: 2,043,540
360 EU YTD sales: 1,521,665

And that's with 360 having 2 extra holidays in EU.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

postofficebuddy said:
Seece said:

PS3 EU installbase: 18,839,113
360 EU installbase: 17,028,310

PS3 EU YTD sales: 2,043,540
360 EU YTD sales: 1,521,665

And that's with 360 having 2 extra holidays in EU

I don't care how many extra holidays 360's had, that doesn't change the fact in install base size they're close, does it?

I'm trying to find Nintendo's charts, I think they only submitted them for Q1, but it showed a small weekly gap between PS3 and 360, heck the last week it had them within a 5k range if I remember.

jugon21 said:

So...?

2nd July-SCE India talks about price cut on the PS3

Any chance of a price drop on the PS3 soon?

As of now, no.

Gamescom, then?

(laughs) Well, if there was a price drop coming at Gamescom, I’d know. There is, however, a new PS3 chassis being discussed. A slightly different design, but from what I can tell, not much difference in functionality.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=132636&page=1#

http://www.indianvideogamer.com/features/round-6-interview-with-atindriya-bose-playstation-india/

16th August-Price cut.

This is funny, I guess no comment to such a question wouldn't be great for sales. So they're forced to go with No whichever their intentions are.

EU/EMEAA

In sales the PS3 and 360 are quite close.
In demand and desirability they are miles apart.

LivingMetal said:
Seece said:
Some key points

They plan to be #1 in Europe, by better focusing on different regions, spending a lot on advertising and not just concentrating on success in the countries they're successful in (UK, France ect) they say looking at Europe as one place like NA, is a naive move.

In regards to PS3 price cut, the reponse to moving down price a little was 'no' .. of course that could be bull.

Wasn't Microsoft intent with the Xbox 360 was to be number 1 worldwide to begin with?  And what about Nintendo?  Didn't they forget that they were also competing against them?  Microsoft = scared of the PS3 pricedrop.

no they really arent. they arent in a position at all to need or want a price drop. they are making tons of profit right now, and still selling good. im sure they dont care much if PS3 is outselling them, if they are still selling well. and besides im sure they would rather sell less and make more $$$$$ than sell more like Sony and make less $.

sony was in a position where they needed to drop the price in order to stay competive, microsoft didnt. but in turn they will likely in the US be making barely any profit, but they are probably hoping it will boost software sales like crazy, which will help cancel out the less profit margins on the console. microsoft has no problem selling their system and tons of hardware, they are making lots of money both ways.