By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 being phased out of Japan

IamAwsome said:
oniyide said:
i give MS all the credit in the world for actually trying this gen, but they moneyhatted the JRPGS and got a Monster Hunter and they still have those kinda sales?? Japanese people dont want 360, its that simple. IMHO they shouldnt even waste time and energy releasing nextBox over there

I don't think pulling out of Japan would be a good idea. If they aren't in Japan next gen, it could effectively kill games like FInal Fantasy, and Monster Hunter for the Nextbox altogether, and limit Japanese publishers' support  for the console. Wht Microsoft should really do is rename the console, moneyhat more RPG's, and niche titles, and make a studio in Japan.

Nope, the JRPGs in Japan sell like crap, look at the sales for FF13 in Japan on 360 versus US sales. THey might as well not even come out in Japan. The Japanese are simply not buying Xbox. Change the name?? WHy?? you think their stupid?? as soon as the see "Microsoft" there gonna head for the hills. Moneyhatting more JRPGs, that didnt work before why would it work now?? THe sad thing is i can see them doing that, like most Americans they'll just keep doing the wrong thing and hope it becomes right (im American). Plus with the crappy sales i doubt that publishers will want to enterain the timed exclusives for 360 anymore, especially now

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:

Thats quite simply not true though.  There are TONS of Japanese franchises that are massive in the West.  Pokemon, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Demon's Souls just to name a few.  Not to mention companies like Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, Nintendo, and Sony have all had huge successes in the West.

There isn't the same standard in Japan.  You can't name me 5 western franchises this gen that have sold over 1 million copies in Japan.  Japanese gamers litteraly have words they use in derogitory ways towards Western games, and for years and years now they have seen them as inferior.

This isn't meant to be a slight at the Japanese they're cool as hell its just simple facts.  Japan has a negative bias towards the Western developed games that isn't debatable and the Japanese will be the first to admit it.

1.  Demon's Souls massive in the west?  Surely you jest. 

2.  The bolded is a rather high benchmark to place.  Only a single PS3 game has sold over a million in Japan: Final Fantasy XIII.  The Wii, on the other hand, has had 13 million sellers, but almost every one has "Wii" somewhere in the title.  Any game breaking a million in Japan is a feat, this generation.

Edit:

Ah, I see you said franchises, not games.  That's still not a very even bar, given different publishers' tendencies to iterate on a success.  For example, the PS3 has had several franchises that have surpassed a million from Japanese publishers, but they're all franchises that see sequels at least once (and sometimes more than once) a year.  Dynasty Warriors, Pro Evo, Yakuza, etc.  Tack in 360 figures for multiplats, and that doesn't change much.  I haven't seen many Western franchises that have seen so many versions spanning multiple consoles save Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and Assassin's Creed, and the former two of those do cross the million mark I believe.

The only Japanese franchises that have broken a milion on the back of 1-2 releases are Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, and Gran Turismo, the latter of which likely wouldn't have happened had Prologue not been so heavily bundled.

I agree with your general point that Western games are disdvantaged in the Japanese market, partly due to differing tastes and partly due to an unwillinginess to try such games, but that "one million copies" barometer just seemed so... arbitrary.

BenVTrigger said:
Shinobi-san said:
BenVTrigger said:
Chrizum said:
BenVTrigger said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:
Mordred11 said:
BenVTrigger said:
I'll never understand why the Japanese dislike Xbox consoles and games so much

They only like to play with themselves/own stuff?

There. Now it's fixed.

No its not.  Even western titles that are huge on PS3 everywhere else on Earth usually far lower in Japan.  In general there is certainly a negative bias in Japan towards western software and hardware.

Same thing goes for the American and European market. Japanese-centric games don't do as well here as overseas. It has nothing to do with bias, moreso with culture.

Thats quite simply not true though.  There are TONS of Japanese franchises that are massive in the West.  Pokemon, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Demon's Souls just to name a few.  Not to mention companies like Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, Nintendo, and Sony have all had huge successes in the West.

There isn't the same standard in Japan.  You can't name me 5 western franchises this gen that have sold over 1 million copies in Japan.  Japanese gamers litteraly have words they use in derogitory ways towards Western games, and for years and years now they have seen them as inferior.

This isn't meant to be a slight at the Japanese they're cool as hell its just simple facts.  Japan has a negative bias towards the Western developed games that isn't debatable and the Japanese will be the first to admit it.

You don't get to say whats debatable and whats not.

Japanese gamers do not like western games. Simple as that! If they wanted to play a western game they would, im sure they not not buying western games just because its from the west. Thats insane to even suggest that (which is what you suggesting).

And yeah i too have never been to japan and i dont know many japanese friends, and there probably is a minority group of japanese gamers who think that of western developed games, but it certainly isnt the masses who share those views imo.

Really?  Listen educate yourself and research before you try to argue.  I don't base this on opinion its simple fact.  Again this is NOT a slight towards Japan I love the country and culture but they simply have little respect for Western games going as far as calling them Yo ge, kuso-ge on a regular basis which in Japanese directly translates to "Western Game, shit game."

But you know what don't take my word for it.  Let's here directly from prominant Japanese people themselves.

Wada from Square-Enix said "The retailers have a prejudice against overseas titles, and they won't procure them. But something like Batman: Arkham Asylum, for example, is something that is very like the Japanese taste in games, in fact it caters to very much the Japanese taste."

Gwyn Campbell who works for a Japanese publisher in Japan said   “Japan’s never been very receptive to foreign games, the term ‘foreign game’ is traditionally an insult — it means ‘low quality.’”

Kojima has also discussed that Japanese gamers generally don't even give Western games a chance.  Its plain and simple they have a bias against foreign games.  They like what comes out of Japan nearly exclusively and that IS a bias.  Look at every single most wanted list in Famitsu and the rest of their publications.  It is always nearly exclusively Japanese titles and sales as I have pointed out speak for themselves.

You really dont have to resort to an insulting tone. Im perfectly educated thank you.

And like i said, i believe you when you say thers japanese gamers who have that view, but i i dont feel thats the underlying reason they dont buy western games. They do not like the games, thats the main reason and the most important reason.

And quoting Wada when hes talking about a game hes company publishers? And i also dont see why a retailer would procure a game that probably wont sell, that makes no sense.

Im pretty sure if a western game developer made a game that japanese gamers like it would sell decently...western games and japanese games are different, they prefer their games thats that.

But anyways im not one for arguing, especially when i get told to educate myself. So il leave it at that.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

To touch on the "Japanese people don't play Western games" subject, I remember reading an article awhile back about a Japanese developer who was given the chance to play a demo of Uncharted 2. Upon starting the demo, he sat there with the controller in his hand, unmoving, for several moments. When the developers asked why he wasn't doing anything (he was at the train crash scene, from what I recall), he said, "Well, when will the cutscene end?"

I also read an article featuring game designers from Square Enix who talked about how Japanese developers generally look down upon Western development culture, and how they personally, upon working with such developers from Eidos, began to realize the benefits of such methods of design. Though these articles may be one and the same.

There is certainly a lot of ignorance to be found in the Japanese gaming industry, both from gamers and developers alike, and this no doubt has some impact on the sales of Western developed games in the region.

tagged for later...

Around the Network

They will have a hard time getting japanese developer on board with their next console, its a very big loss for MS. Its likely to affect the popularity of their next console outside of Japan too. With that said, with their current situation in Japan, there wasnt much other choices.

halil23 said:
Now Treasure release Ikaruga for Psn!!
Do you think some of the jrpg will get ported to the ps3 now?

Perhaps if there were still some exclusive JRPGs scheduled to release on 360, but I don't think that this will affect any games that are already released and did whatever sales they were going to do.  

Ok, so...why is everyone saying that Microsoft is pulling out the Xbox360 from the Japanese market? Did I miss something in the article? from what I understand, it is the retailers who are dropping or lessening their stocks of the X360. This is normal in retail, when a product starts to not sell or is not selling it is not uncommon for the product to be dropped or discontinued. Or if the product still sells but sales is small relative to stocks on hand or display space, retailers would cut down on its display space and replace it with some other product that sells faster or sells more.

To me, it isnt even the retailer dictating the move to drop the x360 from their stores but its the consumers who care dictating it. If people arent buying then why would the retailer carry it?

CGI-Quality said:
enrageorange said:

Software tie ratios for the 360 are signifcantly higher than for either the ps3 or wii in Japan.

Much of this coould be said for the PS3 in WW software in conjunction with the 360 regarding multiplats. Even when the 360 sells more, because of a lower fanbase, the PS3 has a higher attach ratio. Doesn't say much, except that your competition sold more hardware than you.

You don't seem to get it. He's talking about ratios and so it doesnt matter how much hardware was sold. 1000 to 500 is the same as 50 to 25. They are both 2:1 ratios. The xbox 360 having a higher software tie ratio says that the owners of an xbox 360 like to game on the system more than the owners of the other systems.

Rockyb said:
well what did u expect, halo,gears, fps and kinect are flops in japan

Actually, it's not just that. The Japanese are a very loyal, they also have great pride in thier country. I'm not going to go as far as to call them xeniphobic, but it's right on the edge of being so.

"with great power, comes great responsibility."