By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 - Reclaiming number one in 08/09'

CrazzyMan said:

why not just sit and wait, and see? =)

there is a lot of nuances, which you people can`t know.

Too much.

Will sony drop ps3 price or not? will M$ drop? will live! become free? will home and psn surpass Live! ? will MGS4 be as good as TGS05, will killzone2 be as good as e3 2k5, will ffxiii be as good as e3 2k6, will mgs4 and ffxiii stay exclusive? will Halo3 be as good as e3 2k6, will mass effect imrpove graphics, will lost odyssey successful in japan and other countries? will xbox360 sell better in japan after cry on, LO, ES? will GT5 be realistic? how many people will by killzone2 because of it`s awesome graphics? how many new 3rd party exclusives will get x360/ps3? and etc. =)

I think everyone knows by now that Killzone will not be what was shown. Just look at the degradition of Motorstorm to see that. FFXII is trickier. I imagine it can look that good but it will be a fixed or limited camera.

Winning consoels do not need the best of the best that gen in fact all they need is a massive library so listing a few games do nothing but say hey look we will have milion seller exclusives but only about 5 of them. rememebr if things continue they way they are you WILL see FF14 on the Wii.

Around the Network
auroragb said:

Unless PS3 goes to $300 in 2008 or earlier, it will have no chance in this gen. There is no reason why MS and Sony can both have multiple SKUs and Nintendo can only have one. I think that Nintendo will have an HD enabled Wii SKU by 2009 (when the format war settles or the multiformat reader becomes competitively priced (as in <$100 wholesale). So, if Sony doesn't drop to $300 by 2008, when Nintendo comes out with an HD SKU, the game will be over. It will have the install base, support for HD for those interested, and maintain low price and form factor.

As a consumer, Wii is just the best choice now. It's got an interesting interface, buzz, and low price. It can easily tide me over until it somehow (magically) have no games coming out for it and I have to buy a 360 or a ps3, but by then they will be $300 or less, so I would have paid less overall than getting them now and wait for the games while it depreciates.  By then, I might opt for the Wii HD anyway

Sony had launch momentum just like every other system does it just provided enough stock to sate it. However now that the hype has died down don't be surprised to see 9K weeks in england fromhere on out

DigitalHero said:

There are a couple very simple things going against the PS3 reclaiming #1.

1.  No console in a given generation that was the most expensive never took the first spot against cheaper competitiors.  Look at Saturn, 3DO, Turbo Grafx 16, and Neo Geo for great examples.

2.  This one is kind of superstitious but no console in the past 20 years has ever dominated for more than two generations straight. 

Add to the fact that Wii is outselling it by a large margin and Microsoft is formidable competitor makes a Sony "comeback" extrememly hard but not impossible.  I believe Nintendo will be the #1 for this gen. (Just look at vg charts on how fast they are catching up and either PS3 or 360 will be at #2.   Its harder to determine that one.)

of course history is important but that doest always mean its right.. for instance for all those consoles you named i could argue that none of them were as succesful as the ps3 this early or in its entire lifespan... im not sayin that its going to overtake the wii because i dont but i dont think its wise to compare those consoles to this console..

and no company has ever dominate for over 3 generations straight not 2.. nintendo had 2 sony had 2 already... but like i said earlier i think its gonna be a fight for 2nd place until later in the lifespan of the 360 and ps3 but dam if i know

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

redspear said:

I think everyone knows by now that Killzone will not be what was shown. Just look at the degradition of Motorstorm to see that. FFXII is trickier. I imagine it can look that good but it will be a fixed or limited camera.

Winning consoels do not need the best of the best that gen in fact all they need is a massive library so listing a few games do nothing but say hey look we will have milion seller exclusives but only about 5 of them. rememebr if things continue they way they are you WILL see FF14 on the Wii.

Well here you are wrong, Sony took killzone project under her contorl, spending over 20 mln. $ and adding 120 developers, to work on that project.

No one spent 20 mln. $ on developement of MotorStorm, that`s why it was downgraded. 

Few games? i can list you about 20 exclusives, which for most people are importat. And no one need FF14 with graphics of GC in 2010.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

jman8 said:
 Most likely, the 360 and PS3 will combine for more sales than the Wii. As a result you'll still see 3rd parties mostly supporting PS3/360 in the form of multiplatform games b/c the PS360 install base is bigger than the Wii.

The only problem with that is 360/PS3 are not equally easy to develop for. A developer has to change alot of code to switch between PS3 and 360 development, because of the different system architecture (cell chip, etc).

It went like this: In the beginning, there was the NES, and all was good. And then came the SNES, and that was good too! And then the N64 was very difficult to develop for and didn't make much money.

Now its going like this: In the beginning, there was the Playstation, and all was good. Then the PS2 came out, and that was good too! Then the PS3 comes out and its difficult and expensive to develop for, and it is in last place right now.

Around the Network
z64dan said:

Now its going like this: In the beginning, there was the Playstation, and all was good. Then the PS2 came out, and that was good too! Then the PS3 comes out and its difficult and expensive to develop for, and it is in last place right now.

are you a noob to gaming ?

both PS consoles were never the easiest to program for, PS2 was the worst... every developer bitched about it, just like they are not bitchin about the PS3!

CrazzyMan said:
redspear said:

Well here you are wrong, Sony took killzone project under her contorl, spending over 20 mln. $ and adding 120 developers, to work on that project.

No one spent 20 mln. $ on developement of MotorStorm, that`s why it was downgraded. 

Few games? i can list you about 20 exclusives, which for most people are importat. And no one need FF14 with graphics of GC in 2010.

Gamecube had a ton of exclusives Luigis Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Windwaker, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Starfox Adventures,  Ikaruga(DC was dead), Wario Warez,  Resident Evil Zero, F-zero, Wave Race:Blue Storm, Eternal Darkness, Mario Kart Double Dash, Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime, Custom Robo, Tales of Symphonia, Baton Kaitos. All of which would of come out about the same time as FF13 or MGS4 will eventually come out. many of whihc were reviewed favorably. The only real exclusives I can think of at the moment are FF13, MGS4, Heavenly Sword and Ratchet and Clank. Motor Storm already cae out and it was supposed tobe a system seller but it isn't.

BTW Killzone will not look like that regardless of how much money they spend. It will look similiar but the animations will be completely different. Since Killzone 1 was OK and sold decently but not great what makes you think that Killzone 2 will be a true system seller.

I don't have any problem with the game Killzone. But I could see how parents would be spooked by the title. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just acknowledging the reality.

z64dan said:
jman8 said:
 Most likely, the 360 and PS3 will combine for more sales than the Wii. As a result you'll still see 3rd parties mostly supporting PS3/360 in the form of multiplatform games b/c the PS360 install base is bigger than the Wii.

The only problem with that is 360/PS3 are not equally easy to develop for. A developer has to change alot of code to switch between PS3 and 360 development, because of the different system architecture (cell chip, etc).

There's been talk from the developer community stating that the PS3 is difficult to develop for, but only in reference to taking full advantage of the hardware. I'm betting that producing a faithful port from the 360 to the PS3 isn't all that difficult and doesn't require a huge investment. Also, at least one developer has said porting a game from the PS3 to 360 is even simpler than the other way around. Check out this Factor 5 interview:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/04/qa_with_factor_5_chief_julian_eggebrecht.html

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

In regards to Killzone 2 being a system seller, I have a little faith that it can be. Killzone 1 was downright terrible. But Killzone: Liberation on the PSP was actually a very well executed game. The media didn't find it remarkable, but it's a PSP fan favorite regardless (I know you Wii owners know what it feels like when the media doesn't appreciate your games). Based off that title and the huge budget for the new one, I think there's some chance that Killzone can be a system seller.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.