By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - HD-DVD takes the lead

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-35285.aspx

Though I doubt it will last for long

Around the Network

wow, thats the worst piece of FUD ive ever read, ever.  If you know anything about HD DVD and BD you know that thsi blog right here is a heaping pile of FUD.

steverhcp02 said:
wow, thats the worst piece of FUD ive ever read, ever. If you know anything about HD DVD and BD you know that thsi blog right here is a heaping pile of FUD.

What does the facts about the medium have to do with facts of how well they sell? Dissing the blog proves nothing. Try disproving the numbers it claims.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

steverhcp02 said:
wow, thats the worst piece of FUD ive ever read, ever.  If you know anything about HD DVD and BD you know that thsi blog right here is a heaping pile of FUD.

Yes and no. Although it isn't the best source of information, if you check out eproduct wars ( http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/ ) you will notice that HD-DVD has been creeping its way back towards the top for the past couple of months.

LordTheNightKnight said:
steverhcp02 said:
wow, thats the worst piece of FUD ive ever read, ever. If you know anything about HD DVD and BD you know that thsi blog right here is a heaping pile of FUD.

What does the facts about the medium have to do with facts of how well they sell? Dissing the blog proves nothing. Try disproving the numbers it claims.

The numbers are real, but whats fake is that it was an organized single day sale form the AVS forums to "show the world" what HD DVD can do....in the end it merely showed that an organized purchasing orgy is teh only thing that can take HD DVD ahead of BD, so in my opinion it proves the exact opposite of what they were trying to "show the world"

And in the same thread people even admitted to preordering movies and then cancelling them later to merely spike them to get press, so to write this off like a comeback is lunacy....hell, go look at teh site now coming back to reality BD is already nearly taken back over....im sure the blogger will write about that tomorrow, wont he. 

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
steverhcp02 said:

Yes and no. Although it isn't the best source of information, if you check out eproduct wars ( http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/ ) you will notice that HD-DVD has been creeping its way back towards the top for the past couple of months.

oh, no i realize that, dont get me wrong.  With childrenof men, happy feet, matrix presales, smokin aces, HD DVD has been getting its feet under itsealf, but its just not walking or moving fast enough to keep pace with the growing PS3 userbase who will keep buying those BD's when they get the PS3's.

This spike merely proves that HD DVD is fighting a losing battle against the slowly growing install base of PS3 users....even if only 10% of people use their PS3's for playback, 300,000 a month mean 30,000 new BD buyers who may go back and buy previous titles as well as new releases.....this growing (while small obviously) userbase is trumping HD DVD's stand alone players and disk sales, HD DVD just isnt growing its userbase fast enough so we will continue to see a few titles sell well that everyone wants and then drop like a rock while BD will be more sustained as its userbase grows, it hink that much is about as close to proven as anything.

So, IMO, it will come down to this, HD DVD has an advantage in price in a awar of atrition, they can last longer and not take huge huts financially but Sony has so much invested that i think theyll be able to take a massive hit to see this through and the way they can win is if they can prove the growing userbase and prolonged sales of titles.....companies wil take notice....but regardless of what happens, its going to be slow unless we see studio support shift one way or the other.

Week ending April 8, 2007
Week 62.4/37.6
YTD    69.4/30.6
SI       56.4/43.6

Who f'ing cares. Both are huge ripoffs compared to a decent quality upconverting DVD player with an HDTV. Let's see a nice Panasonic upconverting 5disk dvd for $90 that looks really, really good in 1080 or a $600 BD/HDDVD player that is not really much better. PLUS at least $10 more for the actual movie. BS, the whole damn thing is a ripoff right now. Don't be sheep. I won't buy either until they come in a common player for sub $250. Even then, I probably won't buy any movies for more than $20.

Chunk, do you realize people were saying the exact same thing about DVDs 8 years ago?  Yet you'd actually have to go out of your way to find a large selection of VHS anywhere these days.  Just like 8-9 years ago you'd have to go through the same troubles if you were a DVD fan. 

In a couple of years, the prices on both BR players and BR discs will drop into your range.  Right now they are in the range of early adopters who like technology for technology's sake.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

steverhcp02 said:
HappySqurriel said:
steverhcp02 said:

Yes and no. Although it isn't the best source of information, if you check out eproduct wars ( http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/ ) you will notice that HD-DVD has been creeping its way back towards the top for the past couple of months.

oh, no i realize that, dont get me wrong. With childrenof men, happy feet, matrix presales, smokin aces, HD DVD has been getting its feet under itsealf, but its just not walking or moving fast enough to keep pace with the growing PS3 userbase who will keep buying those BD's when they get the PS3's.

This spike merely proves that HD DVD is fighting a losing battle against the slowly growing install base of PS3 users....even if only 10% of people use their PS3's for playback, 300,000 a month mean 30,000 new BD buyers who may go back and buy previous titles as well as new releases.....this growing (while small obviously) userbase is trumping HD DVD's stand alone players and disk sales, HD DVD just isnt growing its userbase fast enough so we will continue to see a few titles sell well that everyone wants and then drop like a rock while BD will be more sustained as its userbase grows, it hink that much is about as close to proven as anything.

So, IMO, it will come down to this, HD DVD has an advantage in price in a awar of atrition, they can last longer and not take huge huts financially but Sony has so much invested that i think theyll be able to take a massive hit to see this through and the way they can win is if they can prove the growing userbase and prolonged sales of titles.....companies wil take notice....but regardless of what happens, its going to be slow unless we see studio support shift one way or the other.

At least post some links to back up your claims. And don't tell me the facts are obvious. They aren't, and they keep changing.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs