By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Smash Bros Brawl score?

I'm really curious about the kind of review that Brawl will be given. Based on what I've seen so far and by how most sites and mags rate games, I honestly can't see where the flaws are going to come from.

Graphically, the game looks great. I know some people will complain that it looks simple but seriously there is a lot going on at once with no slowdown. Also if you take the time to really look at the stages and character models, it's great

On funfactor I don't think I even need to say it. It's smash bros, with different characters. A proper single player as well

Replayability: Duh, it's online. Even Melee is still played a lot and some people haven't unlocked everything there is several years after its release

The controls can't be faulted as well since we're being given a lot of room here. Just take your pick

Sound is what will really crown this thing. Everything we've heard so far is simply brilliant.

So what I'm really asking here is will it be reviewed as highly as Galaxy. Though I haven't played either, I think Smash deserves to be as highly rated if not better. Thanks 

Mario Kart Wii - 4983-6029-9877

Wii code- 4257-3204-4481-2949

Around the Network

i agree with u. it should be rated the best game ever

I'd love to see Brawl rated as highly as it (almost certainly) deserves, and have an average score of 95 or so. Unfortunately it's too different from all other games on the market, especially for the people who usually review fighting games, that the scores will suffer. Most will be very confused, and few will have to balls to give it an extremely high score.

I hope it gets incredible reviews. Like you said, there really aren't many areas for reviewers to complain about, since the major complaint with SSB:M was the single player, which is fixed with the Subspace Emissary.
Here's hoping for another Galaxy!

"Your grasp of the obvious is inspiring." - Commander Shepard
"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite store on the Citadel." Commander Shepard
I support JRPGs on the Xbox 360.
Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad
"Nothing can make it moral to destroy the best. One can't be punished for being good. One can't be penalized for ability. If that is right, then we'd better start slaughtering one another, because there isn't any right at all in the world." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

To be completely honest I could care a less if some reviewers team up to bring down the score of the game. It’s all about how well I’ll like the game and frankly I have be following this game for some time now and so far it hasn’t disappointed me the slightest.

Around the Network

Games like Brawl normally don't get reviewed to highly. Its really hard for a game like that to get reviewed highly. BUT because there is so much massive hype for it, not to mention a huge hardcore game, which is majority reviewers, and a normal backlash at casual games on the Wii, this one will probably be welcomed and possibly overrated because of it. And I don't mean overrated as in it wont' be good, but as in reviewers might give it a higher score simply because of their hardcore bias and want the industry to stay the same. Basically the opposite of why some reviewers review Wii, DS, and PS3 casual games or motion control games badly.

I bet if its even somewhat decent it will get at least a 90, just based on name alone.

I don't even need to play one second of this game before knowing it is perfect. This fact is due to the Smash Bros. Dojo. Any doubts I have had about this game have already been laid to rest.

My doubts (and their resolutions):

1) Single player could suck as hard as ever (Subspace Emissary squashed that)

2) Not enough new characters that I'd like to play with (pfffth, that's right out the window)

3) Online could be poorly implemented (holy crap, they thought of everything regarding online play, including how to handle dropouts and allowing unlocked character selection)

4) The music could be annoying and repetitive (this game has some of the best music customization options [short of complete custom soundrack] I've ever seen and a wide range of song choices)

This is going to be a perfect game.

My End of 2008 Hardware Predictions (console only):

Wii : 50 million

360: 28 million

PS3: 24 million

These predictions were made on January 3rd and won't be revised

LINK

The reason melee isn't too high on Gamerankings is because some morons gave it 5-7s because they claimed it didn't change enough from SSB64 (pfft). It'll be nearly impossible to say this about brawl with all the added modes.

No Smash has ever ranked in the 90's so far (original low 80's and high 70's, Melee higih 80's). But this one has so much hype, so much riding on it, and looks so incredible, that there's almost no chance it will get lower than a 93, in my opinion.