By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - OBAMA approval PLUMMETS to a dreadful 40%

Ail said:
Viper1 said:
Ail said:

Each time someone brings a point you mark it as annecdotal, don't answer and move on.

Besides the obvious glaring issue that some of the big issue today in healthcare comes because of monopole and free market isn't going to regulate that.

And the end goal of free market isn't to be fair to everyone and healthcare is one area where the goal isn't to maximise profit...

PS : when I speak of monopole I don't speak of insurance I speak of the fact that a lot of the new biotech treatment are only available from one company ( like Enbrel that mentionned above).

How is free market going to lower the cost of the a prescription when it is only available from one company ? 

I only stated 1 portion of a post as anecdotal as a means to understand the context between a single person account and the general overall quality.   The second refernce to being anecdotal was simply because he said hsi story wasn't an anecdote which by the very definition of an anecdote, it was.  So it was only to clarify the defintiion for him.   If you are inferring that I am somehow negating his point solely on the grounds of his point being an anecdote, then that is your own issue.  That's called projection.

I'm going to asume you mean monopoly and not monopole - a single radio antenna or a concept in physics.  The monopolies of the healthcare industry are because of government intervention.  Ever hear of the Health Maintenance Organization Act of 1973?  The government basically created the HMO's.  And the free market handles healthcare just fine.  I already gave a perfect example of that with elective cosmetic surgeries and procedures.  Why isn't Lasik monopolized?  Why isn't Lasik increasing in costs? 

Did you know that if you pay cash for standard check ups, doctor visits, basic procedures, even hospital stays that you can usually negotiate the prices and get it down 40%?  Ask yourself why they'd allow that.

True, the goal of the free market isn't necessarily to be fair to everyone.  I can concede that.  BUT, the goal is to be successful and when in a completely competitive market, the entity with the best solution for customers will win out...because it is they who decide how successful a company can be.  It is in therefore in the best interst of the competing entities to outdo each other in costs and services else lose out on business to the other guy and therefore lose out on profit.   See, greed can be a useful tool when balanced properly by risk factors.  You take away the risk factors, which the government intervention does, and they don't care hwo good of a service they are providing or how much it costs to the paient...they have to pay it anyway.

As for your example regarding new procedures being exclusive to the provider that developed the procedure.   Let me ask you this, how many people would go through the ordeal of funding and developing a new procedure if they knew it would get taken away from them the monent they invented it.  You want ingenuity yet what you propose stifles it greatly.   How much ingenuity came out of communist Russia?  Do you know why China is now advancing so fast in ingenuity?  Because they've adopted a capitalistic business environment over the past 2 decades. 

Your presription question: Doctors and hospitals get kickbacks for prescribing the new exclusive drug so the drug company charges a premium for the drug itself so both the manufacturer and the doctor/hospital profit big time.   The government encourages this through subsidies to these drug companies.  Get rid of all this financial extortion and you lower the cost already.   Now, opening the market up more freely enables more competing drugs...so not so exclusive anymore.  Again, lowering the costs.

The drug I am talking about has been on market for 9 years, there's no new exclusive kickback..

And fact remains that the free market pressure will not apply to drugs that are only available from one manufacturer ( which is the case for pretty much every new biotech discovery) so saying that free market will lower the costs is just a plain misrepresentation. Those drugs take dozens of years to develop, it's not like others companies can release a comparable product when they see one taking off...

By the way, the same drug costs half the price in France. Is it because it's less regulated ? Nope, the government actually forces the manufacturer to lower their prices on prescriptions.

And funny enough, they haven't decided to leave that market despite those pressures...

You know, you, nor anyone else that hates the American health care system has bothered answering my question about the 100% free-market system in the US that has costs 60% lower on average for every major surgery and drug, yet provides the same level of quality of care and death as the current heavily-regulated system.

You should answer my question about it before spouting that the free market wouldn't apply to drugs available from one manufacturer. Go look at soda pop - every time there is a major new flavor, it is copied significantly because there is no major IP law against coke-rippoffs, but there are for big pharma.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

You know, you, nor anyone else that hates the American health care system has bothered answering my question about the 100% free-market system in the US that has costs 60% lower on average for every major surgery and drug, yet provides the same level of quality of care and death as the current heavily-regulated system.

You should answer my question about it before spouting that the free market wouldn't apply to drugs available from one manufacturer. Go look at soda pop - every time there is a major new flavor, it is copied significantly because there is no major IP law against coke-rippoffs, but there are for big pharma.

Welcome to the gotcha that gold-plates America's health care and makes it expensive.  Because of laws protecting IP research, companies spend a lot of money on new drugs and procedures, and techonology, which makes the US health care system like a luxury automobile maker.  If you were to not offer any IP laws to protect, do you think the medical industry would research as it had?  And this is likely part of the reason for costs soaring.  When it comes to health, people will spend anything to have what they need to be healthy.  Industries will build themselves around this.

The current system in the United States has a bunch of government money flowing into it, combine with neither harsh free market limitations on money, or government oversight to contain costs.  So flushed with cash, and no restrictions, the system keeps driving prices up.

Do you think America would have nearly the spending it does in the medical industry if it wasn't profitable to do so?

Report on the Asian markets, day 2:
http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2011/08/02/n_toyota_debt_effect.cnnmoney/

richardhutnik said:
mrstickball said:

Welcome to the gotcha that gold-plates America's health care and makes it expensive.  Because of laws protecting IP research, companies spend a lot of money on new drugs and procedures, and techonology, which makes the US health care system like a luxury automobile maker.  If you were to not offer any IP laws to protect, do you think the medical industry would research as it had?  And this is likely part of the reason for costs soaring.  When it comes to health, people will spend anything to have what they need to be healthy.  Industries will build themselves around this.

The current system in the United States has a bunch of government money flowing into it, combine with neither harsh free market limitations on money, or government oversight to contain costs.  So flushed with cash, and no restrictions, the system keeps driving prices up.

Do you think America would have nearly the spending it does in the medical industry if it wasn't profitable to do so?

Additionally, the expenses on actually getting a product through the FDA are incredibly expensive. Many drugs fail trials, and their R&D costs are never re-couped unless the drug has a spin-off at a later date. Remove the stringent FDA regulations, and it becomes cheaper to do R&D for drugs (due to a higher success rate of the drug working), and the drugs can be provided to the public cheaper. Your assumption about profit is correct - profit motiviation means more research. Without the motivation, far less research would be done. The question is if the system is fair, and it is not. Due to the standards of the FDA, you will only have big pharma in power, producing drugs that can get through the red tape, leaving out other, smaller manufacturers and the like.

As for my argument about IP laws - I am not suggesting that there be no laws whatsoever, but they must ensure that the IP laws are fair and ensure competition, rather than massive monopolies to a chosen few. That is why pharma is so big and held by relatively few companies - because few have the monies to invest in massive R&D campaigns for drugs that may or may not be approved.

thx1139 said:
Viper1,

You keep going on about others anecdotal comments. Yet I havent seen you post 1 link to a study supporting your points.

As for Lasik, why wouldn't the cost for a procedure that relies heavily on cutting edge technology (lasers and computers) reduce in cost over time. Most items that are computer based reduce over time. Look at the supercomputer you probably have in your pocket.

Kasz216,

Ezra Klein was 3 of the 13 sources and the major piece from Ezra Klein is just an industry report he provided a link to.

I'm guessing you didn't check out the sources... the meat of the project came all from Erza Klein, or other contributors to his liberal economics blog.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
richardhutnik said:
mrstickball said:

Additionally, the expenses on actually getting a product through the FDA are incredibly expensive. Many drugs fail trials, and their R&D costs are never re-couped unless the drug has a spin-off at a later date. Remove the stringent FDA regulations, and it becomes cheaper to do R&D for drugs (due to a higher success rate of the drug working), and the drugs can be provided to the public cheaper. Your assumption about profit is correct - profit motiviation means more research. Without the motivation, far less research would be done. The question is if the system is fair, and it is not. Due to the standards of the FDA, you will only have big pharma in power, producing drugs that can get through the red tape, leaving out other, smaller manufacturers and the like.

As for my argument about IP laws - I am not suggesting that there be no laws whatsoever, but they must ensure that the IP laws are fair and ensure competition, rather than massive monopolies to a chosen few. That is why pharma is so big and held by relatively few companies - because few have the monies to invest in massive R&D campaigns for drugs that may or may not be approved.

You volunteering to test new drugs without the FDA process ?

Just wondering...

I mean who cares, they'll probably find some poor suckers that really needs money and will agree for a fee to tests new drugs.

In the grand scheme of scheme, who cares if a few hundred poor suckers die to develop a new drugs that can save thousands of lives, right ?

Because if you go full free market, that is what will happen...

/sarcams off............

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
mrstickball said:
richardhutnik said:
mrstickball said:

Just wondering...

I mean who cares, they'll probably find some poor suckers that really needs money and will agree for a fee to tests new drugs.

In the grand scheme of scheme, who cares if a few hundred poor suckers die to develop a new drugs that can save thousands of lives, right ?

/sarcams off............

In the age of the internet... seriously?  You don't think drug companies would get some PR slack with that?

What's stopping them from doing that now, just "outsourcing" those jobs overseas.  (which does happen, but not int he quite ghastly way your talking about.)

Ail said:

Just wondering...

/sarcams off............

Kinda like how there are many procedures to save lives that can't be done right here in the US, its a trade-off. You may have more instances of drugs being available that are unsafe in some ways.

The problem with your assumption is that big pharma would release significantly dangerous drugs that would open them up to major lawsuits, costing them billions in potential damages.

But as I said earlier which you fail to argue is that we have a free-market system of medicines in America that are not regulated by the FDA. In that market subsection, pharma companies do not release significantly dangerous drugs into the wild, but are incredibly cheaper and are usually turned to as a workable alternate when some people can't pay $10 per pill because the big pharma company has to re-coup their costs in R&D, clinical trials, and equalize losses from drugs that didn't make it through.

Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
mrstickball said:
richardhutnik said:
mrstickball said:

Just wondering...

/sarcams off............

In the age of the internet... seriously?  You don't think drug companies would get some PR slack with that?

What's stopping them from doing that now, just "outsourcing" those jobs overseas.  (which does happen, but not int he quite ghastly way your talking about.)

What makes you think they wouldn't do as Taco Bell has done regarding sand they use in their products:

This is completely false. The truth is that what has been referred to as "sand" is in fact silicon dioxide. Silicon dioxide:

is a safe, common food ingredient often used in spices, seasonings, and many restaurant and packaged foods;

is primarily used in food to prevent ingredients from sticking together;

Is a naturally occurring mineral, often found in water, leafy green and root vegetables, cooked dried beans, whole grains, cereals, and fruits;

Can be found in many kitchen pantries across America, often in mashed potato and rice mixes, coffee, soups, and many spices and seasonings;

Is approved for use in food by the Food and Drug Administration here;

Like many in the food business, we use silicon dioxide in the seasonings and spices for our taco meat. When cooked, our beef contains about .0005% (that is, five ten-thousands of one percent) of this ingredient, far less than the FDA limit of 2%. Furthermore, we use certified organic silicon dioxide. It is not artificial and is not a preservative.

Taco Bell says that the claims the use sand in their product is false.  It is actually "silicon dioxide", which I guess isn't sand in their world.  Wow, the FDA has a 2% limit on sand in their food.  Next up, get people to buy the products.

And then, consider the use of Ephedra in nutritional suppliments:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra

Additional evidence

A review of ephedra-related adverse reactions, published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2000, found a number of cases of sudden cardiac death or severe disability resulting from ephedra use, many of which occurred in young adults using ephedra in the labeled dosages.[5] Subsequently, in response to pressure from the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen,[10] Metabolife was compelled by the Department of Justice in 2002 to turn over reports of over 15,000 ephedra-related adverse events, ranging from insomnia to death, which the company had previously withheld from the FDA.[11][36] Use of ephedra was considered to have possibly contributed to the death of Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman Korey Stringer from heatstroke in 2001.[37]

[edit]Death of Steve Bechler

Steve Bechler, a pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles, died of complications from heatstroke following a spring training workout on February 17, 2003. The medical examiner found that ephedra toxicity played a "significant role" in Bechler's sudden death.[38] Following Bechler's death, the FDA re-opened its efforts to regulate ephedra use. According to Bruce Silverglade, legal director for the Center for Science in the Public Interest, "All of a sudden [after Bechler's death] Congress dropped objections to an ephedra ban and started demanding the FDA act."[11]

Senator Orrin Hatch, who in 1999 had helped block the FDA's attempts to regulate ephedra, said in March 2003 that "it has been obvious to even the most casual observer that problems exist", and called FDA regulation of ephedra "long overdue."[33] Given Hatch's prior defense of ephedra, Time described his statement as "a dazzling display of hypocrisy."[39]

It took an FDA ban  to get a product off the shelf that was killing people.  How many people do you want to die from corporate greed and excess in the name of you not having any form of government regulation?  Do you also think cigarette companies would actually label their products unless they were ordered to by law?  Even Orrin Hatch, a defender of the nutritional suppliments not being regulated, said ephedra needed to be regulated by the FDA.

Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
mrstickball said:
richardhutnik said:
mrstickball said:

Just wondering...

/sarcams off............

You're putting a lot more faith in the general public morals that you should...

The need of many always outweight the need of the few and that is why there is a constitution to protect everyone...

Sure some people will bitch but when some of them need that new drug that costs a few hundred lives to develop, they will suddenly quietly shut up...

How do you think some of the ideologies like Nazism originally spread ? Because the german people at the time saw some benefit and silently decided to ignore some of what was happening...

Now lets say we're talking about healthcare and people will be willing to go much further if they see a benefit for themselves....

Seriously, don't you think we would already have human cloning to farm organs if it wasn't for regulations ????

Heck, without going into speculative fiction, how the heck do you think things like blood or organs donations are handled in poorer/less regulated countries ?

Oh and by the way I have a question for Viper.

How do you think the waiting lists for organs implants would be handled in a 100% free market economy ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !