By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The OFFICIAL Worst Case Scenario Thread

This thread is about everything that could go wrong next gen for your favorite console maker. How does this work you ask? What you must do is right a horrible scenario (logical or not) which causes your favorite console maker to withdraw or go to last place next gen.

For example: The year is 2012, and Nintendo has released a new console that promises a return to the "core" gamer. Nintendo decides to let 3rd parties have a pice of the launch pie, and 3rd parties repay them with ports of past games such as Arkham City, Bioshock, and Mass Effect. 360 and PS3 owners see no reason to upgrade to the wiiU because they already have or will have the majority of 3rd party games on their platform. Nintendo also struggles to nail the perfect price point for the WiiU. It launches at $399 because of it's sophisticated controller which is too much to convince the majority of people to upgrade considering the ps3 and 360 are only $199, whilst still offering the roughly the same games, because Nintendo invested to heavily in 3rd parties. By the time Nintendo is still recouping from the shaky launch, the XBOX 720 comes out with the SuperKinect and properly supports this peripheral. The majority of "casual" gamers alongside the "core" who love  exclusive MS offerings such as Halo join the 720 bandwagon and MS lauchs all the way to the bank while Nintendo is sitting in bewilderment wondering what just happened.

And now the 720's turn:

The Wiiu has been announced! Bill Gates is sitting there playing Angry Birds on his  iphone when his aid busts in the room to tell him the news.

"Great Emperor Gates, Nintendo hast announced thine new console!"

Bill Gates quickly hides his Iphone lest he be seen having fun on a competitors electronic device and replys," The war rages on. Execute Order 65 AKA Xbox 720."

"But Sire, the 720 is not ready to be unvieled..."

"Do it lest you feel the wrath of the great and almighty MS."

Nintendo's announcement of the Wiiu causes Microsoft to announce and ultimately release the 720 prematurely which causes, as Badgenome calls it,"RROD 2: The Reckoning: Electric Boogaloo." The 720 relies to heavily on Kinect and the 3rd parties do not take advantage of the 720's abilities because the development cost is too great. In other words, the 720 is so much more powerful than the WiiU, but 3rd party devs do not use this power because they want to make their experiences available on as many platforms as possible (PS3, WiiU, 360). MS also is unable to satisfy its core without 3rd party support because their 1st party support is meager at best.

And now PS4: Sony has finally hit their stride with the PS3. They have a beautiful gen ahead of them, or so they thought... They notice the WiiU's announcement, but they don't care, after all the gen doesn't start until the almighty Sony joins right? The WiiU after all is competing with last gen consoles right? Sony was wrong. The Wiiu is an amazing success. It manages to create a whole new gaming experience with the touch screen on the controller.It is the perfect unification of 1st party and 3rd party support on a Nintendo console, something not seen since the snes and the nes. A 2 year launch advantage ensures that the WiiU has a huge preexisting audience by the time ps4 finally rears its head. MS also pulls a fast one on Sony by making their console only slightly stronger than the Wiiu. Ultimately, the PS4 is released too late and is too strong. No 3rd party is willing to take full advantage of the ps4 because of development costs, so consumers see no reason to upgrade to the ps4. Despite the recent strides sony has made in their 1st party studios, they are still not enough to solely sustain the system.

And now my even less logical one:

Shigeru Miyamoto is out fishing off the coast of Somalia when pirates appear off in the distance. They fire upon his vessel and he quickly surrenders. As the pirates are boarding his ship, suddenly a giant squid appears devouring the pirates. Shigeru is so greatful that he pledges his life to the squid. Together the squid and shigeru roam the seas looking for pirates to devour. Iwata soon hears news of this and is angry. Nintendo can not function correctly without its master and the Shigeru cloning process funded by the success of the ds and wii was not offering good results. Iwata orders an army to apprehend and brainwash Shigeru into being loyal to Nintendo. The army meets up with the squid and Shigeru and after a climactic battle, the squid throws Shigeru into the air to save him from a missile strike, but the squid threw him so high that he landed on the moon. He was then declared the first man on the moon because the other times were clearly just the USA lying to impress the Soviets. Shigeru then dies because no one can survive on the moon. Nintendo is crushed by the death of Shigeru and loses its touch on games so it falls into irrelevancy.

I hope yours will be of higher quality or you could just tell me how bad mine were, but I would prefer if you wrote your own logical or illogical worst case scenario for next gen. Don't worry if you didn't read my long boring stories because tbh I wouldn't have read an OP this long either.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

This should be in the gaming discussion