By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - when you get back your rrod 360 do microsoft give you a update ?

Do they give you any bonuses or has anyone recieve an elite or a falcon 360 ? I am sorry I meant an update

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

Around the Network

when my 360(one without hard drive) had the rrod i put a letter with it and asked for something. when it retured i had a nice free hard drive.

Hideo Kuze said:
when my 360(one without hard drive) had the rrod i put a letter with it and asked for something. when it retured i had a nice free hard drive.

really

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

yep but that was two months after the 360 came out though.

kopboi said:
Do they give you any bonuses or has anyone recieve an elite or a falcon 360 ? I am sorry I meant an update

Some people report getting "new" consoles. Consoles with manufacture dates within a month of their arrival. MS also gives you a month of Xbox Live! typically -- a $4.95 value and it will cover the month during which your Xbox 360 was at Microsoft.

None of the "new" or "refubished" consoles have better reliability than the old ones, though. People are still reporting RROD out of the box (newly purchased in the store) as well as a fairly high rate of RROD within a week of return from MS. Oh, and if you get that, MS won't do anything to get you an Xbox any faster.

The difference between the premium unit and the elite unit is the black paint job and the larger hard drive.  There's no other difference, and yet people are willing to pay $100 extra for the 'elite'.  That goes to show how much a marketing name is worth. 

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
kopboi said:

Some people report getting "new" consoles. Consoles with manufacture dates within a month of their arrival. MS also gives you a month of Xbox Live! typically -- a $4.95 value and it will cover the month during which your Xbox 360 was at Microsoft.

None of the "new" or "refubished" consoles have better reliability than the old ones, though. People are still reporting RROD out of the box (newly purchased in the store) as well as a fairly high rate of RROD within a week of return from MS. Oh, and if you get that, MS won't do anything to get you an Xbox any faster.

The difference between the premium unit and the elite unit is the black paint job and the larger hard drive. There's no other difference, and yet people are willing to pay $100 extra for the 'elite'. That goes to show how much a marketing name is worth.

cheers mate and Good points rofl

TheBigFatJ said:
kopboi said:

The difference between the premium unit and the elite unit is the black paint job and the larger hard drive.  There's no other difference, and yet people are willing to pay $100 extra for the 'elite'.  That goes to show how much a marketing name is worth. 

Umm could you post some facts that back up what you're saying.  Specifically that the new 360s are not any more reliable than the old ones.  Are you saying that the new cooling system has no affect?  Also you talk about "a fairly high rate of RROD", what percentage/number are you talking about?  Thanks.

The only reason I'm asking is that there seems to be far far less reports of RROD for the newer systems and from people who have received refurbished systems with the new cooling system.  In fact out of curiosity lets ask the people here who received back a 360 with the new cooling system if their console has RROD again.  I'm just looking for people with over 150 posts since I have a feeling we'd see a whole bunch of sockpuppet 1 post wonders show up otherwise.

TheBigFatJ -

Care to cite a few websites, and valid sources that the refurbished units with the 2nd heatsink and 65nm CPU are RRODing just as quickly? I have yet to actually read ANY people that have had one RROD - Refurb or otherwise.

kopboi - when you get your Xbox 360 back, it will typically include the newest version of the operating system (ie, Fall Update), and the newest internal components - BenQ DVD, Falcon 65nm CPU, 2nd Heatsink and such.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

If MS had fixed the RRoD issues shouldn't they make an official announcement about it? But rather than doing that they let the rumors that "new falcon chips" and "new cooling systems" fixed the problems circulate freely.

This is typical MS crap. They never commented on why the machines fail in first place and everyone assumes it's heat related. I have a very good friend that got a RRoD on his 360 when he turned on the machine for the first time after 2 months disconnected (while he moved).

I mean, can be heat but how do we know? Did MS ever stated the the causes of the problem? I don't think so.
Also, if heat is the problem and the repair of RRoD machines normally involves upgrading the cooling system/heat sink, how do you explain that I have multiple friends that got 3 and 4 RRoDs already?

I personally will never buy a 360 because I will never sponsor any electronic device with such a high failure rate.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

krik said:

I mean, can be heat but how do we know? Did MS ever stated the the causes of the problem? I don't think so.
Also, if heat is the problem and the repair of RRoD machines normally involves upgrading the cooling system/heat sink, how do you explain that I have multiple friends that got 3 and 4 RRoDs already?

How many of those systems had the additional heatsink, etc?