By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Pirates of the Caribbean 4 Becomes 8th FILM in History To Cross $1 BILLION WORLDWIDE!

Your Thoughts?

NOT DESERVED 10 47.62%

WELL DESERVED 7 33.33%

I am R2D2 therefore I can... 3 14.29%

Total:20

Disney confirmed Saturday that its fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie, "On Stranger Tides," has grossed more than $1 billion worldwide since its May 20 release.

The film represents the second top-grossing “Pirates” film, and will now set its target on 2006's "Dead Man's Chest," which took in $1.066 billion worldwide.

At $756.1 million going into the weekend, "On Stranger Tides" is the third biggest international grosser of all time among all time, beaten only by James Cameron's "Avatar" ($2.02 billion) and "Titanic" ($1.24 billion).

While domestic box office performance for "Pirates 4" has trailed the three previous films in the franchise, the movie's international performance is nothing short of extraordinary.

Here, thanks to Disney's PR department, are some fun "On Stranger Tides" fast facts (well, fun if you're a Walt Disney Co. shareholder):

>> Eighth film in history to reach the $1 billion threshold.

>> Third Disney film in less than 18 months to gross $1billion globally ("Alice in Wonderland" was the other).

>> The Walt Disney Studios’ fourth title to earn $1 billion.

>> No. 3 film of all time at the international box office.

>> Crossed the $500 million international threshold in a record-setting 14 days.

>> Crossed the $800 million global threshold in only 20 days, the second fastest ever to reach this milestone.

>>Set a new industry speed record by crossing the $700 million global threshold in only 16 days

>> Disney’s biggest international release ever.

>> The biggest "Pirates of the Caribbean" installment in 58 territories.

>> Highest-grossing Disney film ever released in China and Russia.

>> Nearing $100 million in Japan, where it’s been No. 1 for all six weeks of release.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/pirates-4-crosses-1b-threshold-becomes-2nd-biggest-all-time-intl-grosser-28784

CONGRATS TO DISNEY!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Great for disney. They always put out a blockbuster film every year. Will be interesting to see how Cars 2 performs on the Box office. :)

ThePS3News said:
Great for disney. They always put out a blockbuster film every year. Will be interesting to see how Cars 2 performs on the Box office. :)

Cars 2 is doing well overseas

In Americas its not doing well

Overall its disappointing at the box office, which is good, its Pixars worst movie.

This is why people need to start taking the foreign box office more seriously when talking about the success or failure of a movie, they've outgrown the US market by a pretty significant amount in recent years. A lot of forums (this one included) and movie enthusiast sites labelled Pirates 4 as a huge financial disappointment in comparison to it's predecessors and that was based on the domestic box office. The same thing applies to other entertainment based products, games are another example of people using the US to determine the success or failure of a product and it usually leads to a whole bunch of misconceptions and it shines through when reading into games media.

I haven't seen Pirates 4, I'll rent or buy it once it comes out on Blu Ray, but it's good to see that Johnny Depp is basically conquering the world as James Cameron's sidekick in their endeavour to control the movie based market.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Imagine if Johnny Depp stars in a James Cameron movie!

*fapfapfapfap @ Potential Box OFfice Gross*

Around the Network

Johnny Depp is awesome. As long as they keep being quality, I'll keep watching, even if they make a Pirates 15 haha

darthdevidem01 said:
Imagine if Johnny Depp stars in a James Cameron movie!

*fapfapfapfap @ Potential Box OFfice Gross*

Theres alot of rumors going on that Johnny Depp will play the new joker role in "The Dark knight rises" next year.  (R.I.P Heath ledger)    :)

Not as great as a movie as the first 3 in my opinion, still a decent movie, and nothing short of a stellar performance at box office apperantly.

Well deserved as I've heard this movie is one of the best Pirates movie.
Also Johnny Dep would make an excellent Joker in Batman!