By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What is the PS3 life expectancy when it's used for Blu-Ray

I'm not risky my PS3 for it either. My PS2 only ran a couple of DVDs and it's not very often and although my PS2 didn't die, the laser became very wishy-washy and sometimes keep giving me read disc error. Most times skip or pause during movie, but for games, it ends up not even loading unless I try to restart it again.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Around the Network
wiiforever said:
leo-j said:
Its is the best blu-ray player, threrefore it has a higher life than stand alon blu-ray players.

^since when? How do u know that the standalone BR players are worse? In fact, I bet the stand alone BR players are better

Various review sites have done comparisons between the ps3 and other Blu-Ray players.  It loads faster than any standalone out there, and is currently the only player fully upgradeable to BD-J 2.0.   The only areas where a standlaone may beat the ps3 at this time is in PQ/AQ and in the decoding of advanced audio codecs (DTS-MA).  Of those two, the ps3 holds its own quite well.

wiiforever said:
leo-j said:
Its is the best blu-ray player, threrefore it has a higher life than stand alon blu-ray players.

^since when? How do u know that the standalone BR players are worse? In fact, I bet the stand alone BR players are better

Sony of course announced it, and what makes it truly stand out compared to current players is that since it does have a network cable, it will be 2.0 compliant when that software is pushed out.   I don't believe any players for Blu Ray that are out now have a network plug in.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

jjseth said:
wiiforever said:
leo-j said:

Sony of course announced it, and what makes it truly stand out compared to current players is that since it does have a network cable, it will be 2.0 compliant when that software is pushed out. I don't believe any players for Blu Ray that are out now have a network plug in.

Some of the Smasungs do, but they don't have a second internal video decoder so they aren't even profile 1.1 complaint.

If you clean the drives it is usually not a problem. Just by an optical media cleaner that is a disc and that has tiny brushes. One that deionizes doesn't hurt either.

They don't have one of these for Blu-Ray yet (at least as far as I know), but they should have one by the time your PS3 stops reading discs.

I used a disc cleaner on my PS2 (both of them), and they both worked like they were brand new afterwards. One of them had stopped playing DVD's a LONG time ago, but it would play them afterwards like it was the day I bought it.

Not all disc drive cleaners are born equal though, avoid liquids or anything like that. Get an actual disc that has tiny brushes.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
urz-truly said:
How long did it take for your PS2 and Xbox to be burned out?

It took about a year and a half for both, maybe two years. Again, I have to state that my experiences may not be typical. I am terrible about leaving a menu running overnight while I fall asleep and that will absolutely murder an optical drive.

Oh man..... I feel bad for that optical drive. 

urz-truly said:

Right now i don't like much of the PS3 games in 2007. I'm waiting for GTA IV, MGS4 and Gran Turismo 5 in 2008. I love those games!

Anyway right now i've been using my PS3 as a Blu-Ray Player, but i am getting a bit worried because i remember what consumers say about the PS2 when you use it as a DVD Player. It drained the life expectancy out of the PS2.

Will that happen to the PS3?

I honestly doubt the life expectancy of the PS3 would be drained--significantly at least--because of extensive blu-ray movie playback. Blu-ray is one of the key defining features of the PS3, and for something that is designed to play discs for long periods of time to suddenly die sounds pretty far fetched.  I wouldn't be too worried about it if I were you.

zeitgeistmovie.com

PS3 Trophies

urz-truly said:

Right now i don't like much of the PS3 games in 2007. I'm waiting for GTA IV, MGS4 and Gran Turismo 5 in 2008. I love those games!

Anyway right now i've been using my PS3 as a Blu-Ray Player, but i am getting a bit worried because i remember what consumers say about the PS2 when you use it as a DVD Player. It drained the life expectancy out of the PS2.

the more you ride your bike the faster it wears out.

the longer you leave a lightbulb on the sooner it burns out

everytime you wash your clothes you wear them down (lint)

the more you use your tv the faster it wears out

etc etc etc

urz-truly said:

You should pick up Uncharted:Drake's Fortune, and Warhawk, Uncharted has a great story line and some unique gameplay, and Warhawk is awesome online.

I have a lunch PS3, and watch 5-6 movies a week on it (50/50 DVD and BD).

No problems yet. The other thing to think about, is being your are a gamer, it does not have to last as long as BD (probably 20 years), it only has to last until the next console comes out. My guess is all three of the next consoles will be Blu-Ray.