By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamespot's Game of the Year is... (Drum Roll)

Let's all try to be reasonable before yelling "BIAS!" As twesterm pointed out only a few multiplatform games on PS3 recieved a 9 from GS themselves and they could hardly give an 8.5 or an 8 GOTY nominations without getting other gamers upset that their game which earned a 9 was passed over. Plus of the games that got 9s the 360 version scored better on GS or GR or both.

Besides Sony wasn't completely left out as God of War II did get nominated.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Gears of War won it last year.

i know...Twilight Princess won the reader's choice....!

have a Happy New Year everyone!!!! :) 

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

"Gears of War" as last year's game of the year - that's hilarious.

Nothing against "Gears of War", a fine game in its own right. But to say that GoW is superior to "Final Fantasy 12" is like saying Spiderman 3 is better than Spirited Away. Totally meaningless.

Videogame journalism is just plain crap, period. The only good thing about it is that it isn't responsible for starting any Middle Eastern wars, unlike the mainstream US press.

grandmaster192 said:
Mario Galaxy is vastly overrated. I don't see how the game is better than the PS3's Ratchet. There's not a single game ever made that deserves a freakin' 97%. How could that be at 97% with Ratchet only 88%?

Wow, wow, wow... Not better than PS3's Ratchet? You didn't... Nope... Sorry... I refuse to believe it...

Yes, Ratchet for the Playstation 3 is amazing, but it just isn't in the same "galaxy" as "Galaxy." Do not make assumptions. Have you even played the game?

No game deserves 97%? Well, deserve it, or not, two games got over 97%; Galaxy and Ocarina! I think they do deserve it. They must, other wise, they wouldn't recieve such a score. How could Ratchet get 88%? Because it did. It's as simple as that. Now go play Galaxy.

TurdFergusonMcGee said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
Super Mario Galaxy!

All 10 nominees are amazing games. I'm surprised how many Xbox 360 games made it to the finals, which was 6. 2 PC games, 1 Playstation 2 game, and of course, 1 Wii game, also made it, but sadly, there were no Playstation 3 games.

Wow I'm not even gonna go to that site. How biased can you be having no PS3 games and 6 360 games? I can see Halo 3 and Bioshock but what other 4? Also uncharted should be up there and I'd assume CoD4 is up there and thats multi plat so thats at least 2 PS3 games that should be up there.

You already clicked on that link before you made this post. You know it too.

Around the Network
SlorgNet said:
"Gears of War" as last year's game of the year - that's hilarious.

Nothing against "Gears of War", a fine game in its own right. But to say that GoW is superior to "Final Fantasy 12" is like saying Spiderman 3 is better than Spirited Away. Totally meaningless.

Videogame journalism is just plain crap, period. The only good thing about it is that it isn't responsible for starting any Middle Eastern wars, unlike the mainstream US press.

That's the great thing about opinions, everyone has them.  In my opinion, Gears of War is far superiors to FFXII in every way (and this even coming from a huge RPG fan).  Gears had fantastic multiplayer, a short but sweet single player, great controls (coming from someone who doesn't like those type of games that means a lot), decent but typical story, not the best but still interesting characters, and most importantly, fun.

FFXII had really didn't have much going for it.  The base gameplay wasn't bad, but by the time you got decent gambits you just didn't care.  The leveling system was crap since it encouraged every character to be exactly the same since everyone had the same grid and license points were very easy to come by.  The license system in itself wasn't that much fun.  The story was painfully dull.  The characters were beyond boring and incredibly generic (even more than the Gears of War characters).  Most of the characters had no real reason to be there.  And the list goes on.  About the only real pluses the game had going for it were the graphics and the terrific voice acting (even with the funny pauses due to translation).  All in all, FFXII was bad.

grandmaster192 said:
There's not a single game ever made that deserves a freakin' 97%.

I've always hated the silly notion that no game should get a 10 or a 100 because "no game is perfect".  If a game excels in every possible category (audio, graphics, gameplay) and especially if it includes some new innovative gameplay mechanics that help revitalize the genre or set some new standard, it definitely can be worthy of a 10/10.  10/10 shouldn't mean a game is "perfect" and can't ever be topped.  That rationale makes as much sense as English teachers giving kids A- all the time because no paper is "perfect".

That said you are the first person I have heard state that no game deserves a less than perfect score and for my own sanity I hope you are the last.

that's true....Super Mario Galaxy has super graphics, even if Wii is not that powerful, the graphics are nex-gen......sound is also super, and gameplay......the story is funny and there is the use of humor in the game, also it's not boring and it has many things to find out........!!

it deserves the score.....!!

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!